: 01 STS Bose compatability w/USASPEC GM-DF

ocgltd
11-02-08, 04:05 PM
I have an 01 STS with Bose stereo and external CD changer. I want to add two AUX inputs to this radio. (I don't care if I remove the changer - I don't use it much). I want to keep it stockish - so breaking into the changer audio lines doesn't appeal to me....

I found the USA SPEC GM-DF device, but their compatability list is confusing. They say 97-01 Radios are compatible if they have SOURCE button. (But their documentation is vague / confusing / over generalized for their products).

But Crutchfield and Discount Car Stereo docs contradict his.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will it work?

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-08, 05:08 PM
Should work as long as your sure you dont have an 02 car
02+ changer is data class
>01 is Entertainment and Serial Data and will work

ocgltd
11-02-08, 05:44 PM
Well the radio and changer are original - since it's an 01 model year (delivered late 00 I think)...

I just found the peripheral PXGM24. According to the peripheral docs it will work with the 01 (with or without changer). Their approach puts the device inline with the radio - both the 12 and 24 pin connectors. Perhaps this unit is safer. ANyone got experience with this one?

I read somewhere that unplugging the radio will LOCK it...requiring an unlock code. I'll have to look for confirmation on the lists..

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-08, 05:52 PM
wrong
its called the 24 b.c its made for 24 pin radios
escalade and just about every other model than buicks use that
you have a 32 pin radio

ocgltd
11-02-08, 06:17 PM
CadillacSTS2003 - thanks for the answer. If I understand your answer, my car's radio connects to external devices via the "Entertainment and Serial Data" bus. (Later models using the "data" bus which is different).

Here's where I'm confused...

According to the peripheral docs, the PXDX model works with sevilles 95-05 by unplugging the external CD changer and plugging in the PXDX. Their comment says plug in at the trunk (but of course the changer is in the console now). This suggests they all have the same data interface /bus - I think.??

Their doc for the PXGM24 says compatible with "2000-2007 GM Vehicles with Class-2 Data-bus radios (a.k.a. RDS radios). Connects to 24-pin radio harness.". But they only list the escalades as compatible. So..would this one work?

Wow this is complicated (or risky to spend $ if compatability is in question). I think I'll post another question just about the Peripheral products too (to keep this thread on topic)

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-08, 08:35 PM
what do you want the aux input to do?
connect to an ipod
a pda
a phone
start there and well go from there

ocgltd
11-02-08, 09:18 PM
I will have 2 inputs: a pda (stereo audio from the earphone jack of the PDA), and a GPS unit. I want to be able to switch between them easily and keep the car looking stock.

Cliff8928
11-05-08, 02:50 AM
CadillacSTS2003 - thanks for the answer. If I understand your answer, my car's radio connects to external devices via the "Entertainment and Serial Data" bus. (Later models using the "data" bus which is different).

Here's where I'm confused...

According to the peripheral docs, the PXDX model works with sevilles 95-05 by unplugging the external CD changer and plugging in the PXDX. Their comment says plug in at the trunk (but of course the changer is in the console now). This suggests they all have the same data interface /bus - I think.??

Their doc for the PXGM24 says compatible with "2000-2007 GM Vehicles with Class-2 Data-bus radios (a.k.a. RDS radios). Connects to 24-pin radio harness.". But they only list the escalades as compatible. So..would this one work?

Wow this is complicated (or risky to spend $ if compatability is in question). I think I'll post another question just about the Peripheral products too (to keep this thread on topic)

The reason the PXGM24 only works with the (2003+) escalade is because that was the only Cadillac to get a Delphi 1XX series radio which uses the 24 +12 pin harnesses.

The PXDX model seems like it might be compatible with both the E&C (Entertainment & Comfort) and the Class 2 data bus systems. Possibly a setting via a dip switch or something? I would see if the instructions are downloadable.