: Methanol Injection Question

jweymar
11-02-08, 03:07 PM
Would like to get some feedback from the guys running Meth on how often they fill up their reservoir (windshield washer or other). I know it depends on driving habits, but am going through this stuff a gallon a day, without many WOT runs...

I have checked for leaks but havent found any.

Twitch
11-02-08, 03:35 PM
What boost level do you have it set to come on? Can you change the nozzle to a smaller one?
I'm looking into this for next spring, so I'm interested in what people say.
Do you know your IATs?

Tony

type911
11-02-08, 04:39 PM
I had it on my old Procharged Cobra. a gallon would last me 6 months. What jet size are you running?

jweymar
11-02-08, 04:57 PM
What boost level do you have it set to come on? Can you change the nozzle to a smaller one?
I'm looking into this for next spring, so I'm interested in what people say.
Do you know your IATs?

Tony

I didnt get any IAT temp readouts from my tuner, he is going to send them. I have it set to come on at I think 3lbs of boost, which is about 3500rpm.

I do know that prior to the meth kit, I was losing 3-5HP per dyno pull due to heat soak. After the meth kit install my total HP went up by 9hp (he said methanol is like running race gas as it is a fuel source) and after 6 pulls with only a few minutes I lost 0, and I mean 0, HP.

I am going to turn down the amount of pressure(meth) that is supplied and see if that makes a difference. The tuner might have been dumping it a little aggresively...

This was a great mod, I used to feel all this power in the early morning when I first drove the car and then it would fade. On track days I could really feel the loss. Now it feels the same all the time, the same power WOT after WOT. If I can get it so I dont have to refill it constantly it will be an awesome mod.

CtsVrod
11-02-08, 04:59 PM
Call Yesso... He should be able to help you out.

Hows it sounds with your New Headers?

jweymar
11-02-08, 05:02 PM
I had it on my old Procharged Cobra. a gallon would last me 6 months. What jet size are you running?

wow, i freakin go through a gallon for every quarter tank of gas!

my nozzle is a 441ml/sec, but the controller can up/down the volume.

I cant find a leak but it seams there is one

jweymar
11-02-08, 05:04 PM
Call Yesso... He should be able to help you out.

Hows it sounds with your New Headers?

Going to bring it back to him and he has been a great help.

The car is a freakin beast now. OMG it is load and fast, tires barely hold 2nd gear..

rand49er
11-02-08, 05:10 PM
... The tuner might have been dumping it a little aggresively...Ya think?

j/k That usage does seem quite high even though I have no first-hand experience with it.

Only 9 hp seems low, but maybe it's more for protection against detonation than anything else.

Twitch
11-03-08, 07:28 AM
I didnt get any IAT temp readouts from my tuner, he is going to send them. I have it set to come on at I think 3lbs of boost, which is about 3500rpm.

I do know that prior to the meth kit, I was losing 3-5HP per dyno pull due to heat soak. After the meth kit install my total HP went up by 9hp (he said methanol is like running race gas as it is a fuel source) and after 6 pulls with only a few minutes I lost 0, and I mean 0, HP.

I am going to turn down the amount of pressure(meth) that is supplied and see if that makes a difference. The tuner might have been dumping it a little aggresively...

This was a great mod, I used to feel all this power in the early morning when I first drove the car and then it would fade. On track days I could really feel the loss. Now it feels the same all the time, the same power WOT after WOT. If I can get it so I dont have to refill it constantly it will be an awesome mod.
The gauge I have reads everything of the OBDII port. If you can watch your IATs all the time, you can dial in how much meth you spray.
Sounds like you haven't had the kit too long. Imma be asking questions, and looking for answers in a coulpe months. Hope to hear from you :thumbsup:

Ya think?

j/k That usage does seem quite high even though I have no first-hand experience with it.

Only 9 hp seems low, but maybe it's more for protection against detonation than anything else.
From the little I've learned, Meth works best to keep you HP at it's peak. You can up the timing and get more power. But I haven't really gotten into that yet.

jweymar
11-03-08, 08:01 AM
The gauge I have reads everything of the OBDII port. If you can watch your IATs all the time, you can dial in how much meth you spray.
Sounds like you haven't had the kit too long. Imma be asking questions, and looking for answers in a coulpe months. Hope to hear from you :thumbsup:

What gauge is that, and where do you get it?

And no problem on the questions!

rlj5
11-03-08, 08:06 AM

From the little I've learned, Meth works best to keep you HP at it's peak. You can up the timing and get more power. But I haven't really gotten into that yet.

If your raising the timing significantly to gain hp dependent on the meth, Then your really risking a lot. A meth failure of any kind, pump, line, or just running out could be fatal to your engine. Keep the tune conservative with the meth as a safety net, :thumbsup:
Too many things can happen before you realize it, It's too late

Cant imagine using a gallon of meth per 1/4 tank of gas. I have a
2-1/2 gal tank & use 100% methanol and a tank last thru dozens of tankfuls of gas

rand49er
11-03-08, 08:34 AM
If your raising the timing significantly to gain hp dependent on the meth, Then your really risking a lot. A meth failure of any kind, pump, line, or just running out could be fatal to your engine. Keep the tune conservative with the meth as a safety net, :thumbsup:
Too many things can happen before you realize it, It's too late ...The more I think about it, this makes a whole lot of sense!

Twitch
11-03-08, 09:57 AM
What gauge is that, and where do you get it?

And no problem on the questions!

Aeroforce Intercepter scan gauge. Google it, cuz I can't post the link on my blackberry. You get everything from the OBD (IAT, timing, knock retard etc) I have a boost sensor connected, and will be getting A/F soon. Also reads and clears your codes. It really helps you see what's going on inside your motor.

As for running more timing, I should have made myself clear. I've just started looking into meth. I'm posting on here to learn, more than anything. So if I'm wrong about something, please correct me.
The main reason I like the Meth is because I'm hoping to be able to use my peak power whenever I want. I only mentioned adding timing cuz I know you can do that. Still looking into it though.

rlj5
11-03-08, 12:16 PM
Aeroforce Intercepter scan gauge. Google it, cuz I can't post the link on my blackberry. You get everything from the OBD (IAT, timing, knock retard etc) I have a boost sensor connected, and will be getting A/F soon. Also reads and clears your codes. It really helps you see what's going on inside your motor.

As for running more timing, I should have made myself clear. I've just started looking into meth. I'm posting on here to learn, more than anything. So if I'm wrong about something, please correct me.
The main reason I like the Meth is because I'm hoping to be able to use my peak power whenever I want. I only mentioned adding timing cuz I know you can do that. Still looking into it though.

True, You can add more timing with Meth on your boosted engine, But if you try to push too much timing on the meth it becomes dependent on it & will detonated badly without it, Really dangerous thing to do. I've seen some results of engines that pushed the timing to the limit with meth, & the meth fails. Melts things real fast ! .
Good hp gains that way but dangerous.
Just keep that in mind when you add Methanol & tune for it. Just depends how Brave you are & how sure you are the meth will never fail

Knuguy
11-03-08, 12:24 PM
Mine is set up to turn on with 5+ lbs of boost. As stated, the Meth should be used as a safety net and not a full time dependent. Maybe a dual tune, one for race day and one for daily could be set up. Tank in my car is like a 3 gallon and it has not needed a refill with 3500+ miles on the kit. I've been conservative while I get use to this beast. Traction is not an option in first gear and most of second with WOT....LOL

rlj5
11-03-08, 12:36 PM
Mine is set up to turn on with 5+ lbs of boost. As stated, the Meth should be used as a safety net and not a full time dependent. Maybe a dual tune, one for race day and one for daily could be set up. Tank in my car is like a 3 gallon and it has not needed a refill with 3500+ miles on the kit. I've been conservative while I get use to this beast. Traction is not an option in first gear and most of second with WOT....LOL

Have mine coming in at 3 lb boost, starting low & gradually ramping up the volume as the boost increases to the 14.4 lb I'm running for now. But It's not tuned to be dependent on the meth, As I have had the methanol fail before.
More hp to be had if I was more brave !!! ( or would that be more stupid)

SlvrVee
11-03-08, 01:22 PM
This is a solution if you run out of meth "SafeInjection™- boost/timing reduction system for use with the Boost Cooler® water/methanol injection system promises to revolutionize the industry by providing for safety even with the most aggressive tunes."

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13

rlj5
11-03-08, 03:30 PM
This is a solution if you run out of meth "SafeInjection™- boost/timing reduction system for use with the Boost Cooler® water/methanol injection system promises to revolutionize the industry by providing for safety even with the most aggressive tunes."

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13

Now this is interesting,

Gotta check this thing out, Could be a real fix for this issue if it works as advertised.

jweymar
11-03-08, 05:04 PM
Cant imagine using a gallon of meth per 1/4 tank of gas. I have a
2-1/2 gal tank & use 100% methanol and a tank last thru dozens of tankfuls of gas

What kind of controller and nozzle are you running?

rlj5
11-03-08, 05:31 PM
What kind of controller and nozzle are you running?

Alky-Control system

Knuguy
11-03-08, 11:23 PM
Have mine coming in at 3 lb boost, starting low & gradually ramping up the volume as the boost increases to the 14.4 lb I'm running for now. But It's not tuned to be dependent on the meth, As I have had the methanol fail before.
More hp to be had if I was more brave !!! ( or would that be more stupid)

14lbs of boost? what pulleys do you have? Pretty sure I stay at or under 10 with a 2.5" SC pulley, Did you change out the stock Crank pulley?

Twitch
11-04-08, 07:21 AM
14lbs of boost? what pulleys do you have? Pretty sure I stay at or under 10 with a 2.5" SC pulley, Did you change out the stock Crank pulley?
lol he changed out everything :thepan:

Knuguy
11-04-08, 09:11 AM
yea, I just read his sig. not your normal maggie installation (oops,not even a maggie....hahaha)

Twitch
11-13-08, 09:46 AM
Would like to get some feedback from the guys running Meth on how often they fill up their reservoir (windshield washer or other). I know it depends on driving habits, but am going through this stuff a gallon a day, without many WOT runs...

I have checked for leaks but havent found any.
You ever figure this out?