: Odd dimming"surging" from dash instruments at night.

Doctornick
11-02-08, 03:57 PM
For starters:
I edit tv shows for living. So my eyes are very sensitive to light at night. From years of being in the dark looking at monitors and screens. I generally keep my dash lights at night at the darkest setting possible. Because any setting above that and it makes my eyes hurt. Never the less, recently I have noticed that my dash lights will get go dim them brighten up then go dim again. Rinse and repeat. Not like they are going to full brightness just a lil brighter then what they normally are. Unfortunately its not ALL the time and its not something I can make the car do every night.

Any ideas before I bring it in and be told that "there is nothing wrong"?

heavymetals
11-02-08, 04:02 PM
My A/C lighting was doing this and the dealer looked at it.

I thought I was seeing things, but out of the corner of my eye I would catch it dimming and then correcting itself.

Hasn't done it since, but then again, I haven't driven it for a long trip.

NormV
11-02-08, 04:26 PM
Put the battery voltage up on the NAV. Monitor mph and let's us know what you find.

Norm

Doctornick
11-02-08, 05:26 PM
Good point, I do sit idle a lot. Generally its around 13.5 volts. If I sit in the car with it off and listening to some tunes, it will drop to 11s but hit the mid 13s once the car is started.

NormV
11-02-08, 05:32 PM
Now that it is cooler your fans might not be running all the time. Watch the coolant level too. :)

Norm

Good point, I do sit idle a lot. Generally its around 13.5 volts. If I sit in the car with it off and listening to some tunes, it will drop to 11s but hit the mid 13s once the car is started.

heavymetals
11-02-08, 05:52 PM
I never thought of that.:o

Might just be the fans.......

MauiV
11-02-08, 05:59 PM
I think there is a TSB on the dimmer control slide. They changed mine when my battery kept dieing but that wasnt my problem.

Doctornick
11-02-08, 06:30 PM
I know where your going with this, I don't think its the load of the fans turning on, but I will try to tune my ears for it. I generally noticed this issue when I am between 30-50mph. Granted it could happen at higher speeds but I am a lil more focused on whats ahead and not whats below. I'll try to do some "scientific" tests and see if I can pinpoint the time this "surge" is happening. Thanks for all the input and insight!!!

PISNUOFF
11-02-08, 08:55 PM
Mine does it too, but only at the dimmest position. If I move it just off the lowest setting, it stops.

OldRoadDawg
11-02-08, 09:27 PM
Mine does it too, but only at the dimmest position. If I move it just off the lowest setting, it stops.

Same here. Been like that for 3 yrs. I just wrote it off as a quirk within the switch.

The Tony Show
11-02-08, 10:09 PM
My A/C lighting was doing this and the dealer looked at it.

I thought I was seeing things, but out of the corner of my eye I would catch it dimming and then correcting itself.

Hasn't done it since, but then again, I haven't driven it for a long trip.

Same here- turns out I'm not hallucinating after all!! :woohoo:

Doctornick
11-13-08, 09:52 PM
ok, so I did a 5th gear pull last night (about 120ish, not too fast) and the lights went disco again.

I do have a power steering issue, hearing a lot of whine on startup. Maybe its a drag issue and the ALT is not sending enough juice thru the car? Shot in the dark. Anyways, its going in tomorrow. We'll see what the dealer has to say about it.