: Oil Pressure Running 129 psi

rand49er
11-02-08, 03:31 PM
I don't often monitor my oil pressure, so was I ever surprised while going to collect my son at a birthday party today when I went through the various displays and saw 129 psi! :eek: Same reading at idle and after turning the car off and back on ... doesn't even wiggle.

Haven't looked under there yet. Anybody know what I'm likely to find? Bad sensor? Fried wire (from my headers)?

heavymetals
11-02-08, 03:40 PM
Bad sending unit.

You can unplug and jump the socket of the connector with a 1k ohm resistor and look for movement.

There are three socket "pins" so you have a chance of jumping the wrong ones, but no harm if you do.

Sensor is located at the top rear of the motor behind the intake manifold.

Because of the maggie it is a bitch to get at unless you take off the windshield wiper fascia.

rand49er
11-02-08, 03:43 PM
... Sensor is located at the top rear of the motor behind the intake manifold.Geez, I might be even able to reach it. Couldn't they have put it further back and down under something? :rolleyes:

Thanks, heavy. :thumbsup:

heavymetals
11-02-08, 03:53 PM
Trust me, remove the fascia.

You can unplug it to screw around with the contacts, but to replace the sender is another story.

Removing the fascia is no big deal anyway....

rand49er
11-02-08, 05:51 PM
I'm theoretically still on warranty. Will the dealer b1tch about the maggie getting in their way and try to charge me extra because of it?

Whuddaya think?

heavymetals
11-02-08, 06:02 PM
My dealer said it had to be removed.:thehand:

BLAH!!!

They were very cool about figuring out what was wrong (I helped even!).

The funny part about this story is that when I was installing the maggie, I told my friend that I hoped I never had to get at that sensor! :yup:

Removing the washer fascia makes it duck soup. :thumbsup:

You might have to get a sensor removal tool at PEP BOYS ($5) as a standard deep socket may not be thin enough (wall wise) to clear.

I went that route.

rand49er
11-02-08, 06:18 PM
What size is it? Do you recall?

Dang! Two-and-a-half months left in my warranty, and it just had to be something they'd have difficulty doing because of the maggie. :rant2:

heavymetals
11-02-08, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't start second guessing until they do decide on what to do, and that may not be the problem.

I was just suggesting things you could do to see if that was it.

If you disconnect it and the pressure drops that will tell ya a lot.

rand49er
11-03-08, 04:32 AM
Okay, that's my next step.

Thanks, again, heavy.

Twitch
11-03-08, 07:30 AM
Is it even possible to rum 129psi without something really bad happening right away? Or to run that much pressure at all?
If it's not too expensive, just change it out yourself.

heavymetals
11-03-08, 02:14 PM
Here is package that held the tool I used to remove it.

rand49er
11-03-08, 02:19 PM
Geez, what a guy! :thumbsup: Thanks, heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, you really didn't have to go through your trash for me.

heavymetals
11-03-08, 02:36 PM
HAHAHA

Funny you should say that.

OT, when I worked at HUGHES, I made a comment that someone could make a very good living on what they threw out in the trash......:eek:

onebadcad
11-03-08, 03:12 PM
Randy,
Be thankful your oil temp does not read 348 degrees like mine does after driving for five miles.

Damn Heavy, you have a cure for every V issue:thumbsup:.

heavymetals
11-03-08, 03:24 PM
"Damn Heavy, you have a cure for every V issue:thumbsup:."

I try to be helpful........:)

ahahnu
11-03-08, 05:28 PM
I have the same issue. Heavy mentored me on the same problem, just never got to do it yet. Gonna have to wait untill it gets warmer to dive into a project like that. I think I have a scematic he sent me somewhere...

rand49er
11-03-08, 10:58 PM
PM sent.

So, I'm not the only one to be so blessed, huh?

heavymetals
11-04-08, 02:35 PM
Here is the schematic.

ronr
11-04-08, 07:16 PM
I don't often monitor my oil pressure, so was I ever surprised while going to collect my son at a birthday party today when I went through the various displays and saw 129 psi! :eek: Same reading at idle and after turning the car off and back on ... doesn't even wiggle.

Haven't looked under there yet. Anybody know what I'm likely to find? Bad sensor? Fried wire (from my headers)?

Mine's doing the same thing. Been like that for a couple of months and I just haven't gotten around to changing the sender.

heavymetals
11-17-08, 07:08 PM
Well, I just got the warning bells and the "no/low oil pressure" on the NAV.

Checked the dipstick and I guess I overfilled it (DAMN IT).

Ordered a new sensor and just waiting for it to cool down so I can drain some out.

Engine wasn't knocking so I think that's all that is wrong (I hope).

Just jumped a resistor across the connector and the oil pressure indicator went up so I think I blew out the sensor.

What a way to start the week.......

rand49er
11-17-08, 10:40 PM
How the blazes did you overfill it? By how much, do you figure?

heavymetals
11-18-08, 01:28 PM
How the blazes did you overfill it? By how much, do you figure?

By putting to much oil in it!

About 1/2 quart is my guess.

RATS.....

heavymetals
11-18-08, 03:27 PM
Well I removed a little more then half a quart and all is well.

Boy did the car make a racket though!

Thought I had really goofed something up. :yup: :bomb:

Well it did blow out the pressure sensor.

Oh boy, I get to use that special tool I bought!

heavymetals
11-18-08, 03:59 PM
FYI.

If you want to check the oil pressure sender:

I use two 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistors (1/4 watt will work) plugged into the connector to the sender in this "Y" configuration.

I get a reading of about 63 lb (the car does not have to be running).

The locking tab is broken on the connector so you don't have to point that out........

rand49er
11-18-08, 06:50 PM
... two 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistors (1/4 watt will work) plugged into the connector to the sender in this "Y" configuration ...Geez, I haven't monkeyed around with any resistors in 5-1/2 years. And, it's not like I've got 'em laying around the house. Guess I'll be going to Radio Shack. :D

ssinister550
02-06-12, 11:03 PM
did we figure this out OP? I have the same problem... sorry to bring this back from the dead 3 yrs later lol

darkman
02-06-12, 11:42 PM
See attached.

ssinister550
02-06-12, 11:54 PM
I understand how to replace the o/p sender, was just wondering if the OP determined that this was indeed the problem or cause thereof, there was never a definitive answer to whether it was actually the sender causing the 129psi reading or something else. Thanks for the link though!

rand49er
02-07-12, 10:14 AM
I had some work done on my car last fall (header leak, new clutch ... you know "normal" stuff :D), and asked them to also do the oil pressure sender. Because the maggie is in the way, they gave me a ridiculous estimate, so I told them to skip it.

So, the answer to your question is: I still don't know. :helpless:

ObfuscatedV
02-07-12, 07:18 PM
Could it be anything other than the sender? I have the same issue....

darkman
02-07-12, 07:49 PM
Could it be anything other than the sender? I have the same issue....

Yes, it can be wiring, grounding, connectors, or the ECM - see attached.

ssinister550
02-08-12, 01:10 AM
theres also a VERY rare chance that the bypass piston in the pump has stuck. i highly doubt this and almost guarantee its the sensor, but will verify that this weekend when i replace my sensor

rand49er
02-08-12, 09:21 AM
theres also a VERY rare chance that the bypass piston in the pump has stuck. i highly doubt this and almost guarantee its the sensor, but will verify that this weekend when i replace my sensorCan you post up some pics?

darkman
02-08-12, 10:15 AM
http://www.andersonperformance.net/LSx_Oil_Pump_Porting_v1.2.pdf

The link above contains some pictures of the LSX oil pump.