Would it be worth the money to have H.G.'s changed on a N* before they
go?. How long a job is it.

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-08, 03:43 PM
lol
no
they may never go
how stupid would you feel for sinking 4k into a car that would of never need it
the ONLY time you do it preemptively is it your fixing something that requires engine removal or major internal engine work in which case your probably doing hg anyways...

creeker
11-02-08, 04:27 PM
lol
no
they may never go
how stupid would you feel for sinking 4k into a car that would of never need it
the ONLY time you do it preemptively is it your fixing something that requires engine removal or major internal engine work in which case your probably doing hg anyways...

I didn't know it would cost anywhere near $4000.00,I didn't know it meant yanking the engine,that's why I asked the question.

Submariner409
11-02-08, 05:12 PM
The entire drivetrain has to come out the bottom of the car and be wheeled away on a dolly. The labor to do ONLY the head gaskets is intense, and the job involves less than $1,000 in parts, Timeserts, Norm's Inserts included.

There's so much on head gaskets posted in every thread concerning a Northstar FWD engine that it's incredible that creeker has missed all of it.

Ranger
11-02-08, 05:25 PM
Hehe. That would be like having quadruple bypass surgery because you might need it someday. You been asleep at the keyboard Creeker? :)

creeker
11-02-08, 05:37 PM
[quote=submariner409;1674576]The entire drivetrain has to come out the bottom of the car and be wheeled away on a dolly. The labor to do ONLY the head gaskets is intense, and the job involves less than $1,000 in parts, Timeserts, Norm's Inserts included.

There's so much on head gaskets posted in every thread concerning a Northstar FWD engine that it's incredible that creeker has missed all of it.

All I did was ask a question,in my mind redoing head gaskests is a matter of pulling the heads and putting on new head gaskets,I didn't ask about time serts or anything,I wasn't asking about rebuilding the engine.I thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss.

Ranger
11-02-08, 05:49 PM
I WOULD definitely be worth considering if you where doing an engine swap with a junk yard engine before the instalation.

AJxtcman
11-02-08, 05:57 PM
Would it be worth the money to have H.G.'s changed on a N* before they
go?. How long a job is it.

NO

The head gasket is not the failing part. I am 100% positive on that statement
Yes they bunch up in the open deck area, but the Sealing Ring fails for lack of clamping force.

The Decks are true and the heads are true. They don't become warpped.

TimeSerts just make the bolt bigger. They don't magically become part of the block that the bolt screws into.

Say you had a perfectly good engine with NO problems. You TimeSerted it just for I don't know why you would, but lets say for Good Practice.
Then the TimeSert fails. Like they do. Guess who is the Idiot?

Do some research on LockTite and the chemicals used in the Red LockTite. look up the MSDS for each chemical in it. I think you will find a Peroxide that reacts with Aluminum

I have seen RED LockTite eat Aluminum over time

codewize
11-02-08, 07:28 PM
If the engine was out of the car for another reason I might consider it but that's an awful lot of work for preventive maintenance.

Yes a good job with Timeserts will cost you about $3500 if done correctly.

Unfortunately there no just "pulling the heads" on a N* it's an all week procedure. If it were that easy no one would care and it wouldn't even really be a topic.

IFD158
11-02-08, 08:28 PM
I am currently finishing up my head gasket job on a 96 eldorado etc. I must say this is one of the most difficult engines i have ever worked on. I have been doing it over the last two weeks, a little at a time and occasionally i have to walk away when getting frustated. I have time serted all 20 head bolts as well as replaced all lower end seals. the heads are now back in place and I am struggling with the water pump crossover pipe. what a pain in the _ _ _ ! However, with a little more patience and time, i hope to be installing it back in the car sometime this week. Its been a long long tedious job and its worn me out. However, if all goes well, I will be happy to be back in the drivers seat again. This is not for anyone who isnt mechanically inclined. Luckily i am and have all the necessary tools to accomplish this. And this site has also been a big help it getting the job done. Good luck with it.

creeker
11-02-08, 09:02 PM
My original question has gotten blown way out of proportion,I thought it might have been possible to just change head gaskets right in the car,
with everything I've read about faulty gaskets,I thought what would be the harm in asking,that's what this website is all about if I had known the
answer I wouldn't have asked.So thanks for filling me in.

Ranger
11-02-08, 09:35 PM
Nah, it didn't get taken out of proportion. Just explaining it (and maybe having a little fun with you). Even if they could be done in the car, there would be no reason to do it. It would still be a fair amount of work with no reason to do it until it needs it. It's not like any more damage will occur. So the answer to your question is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

creeker
11-02-08, 10:20 PM
Nah, it didn't get taken out of proportion. Just explaining it (and maybe having a little fun with you). Even if they could be done in the car, there would be no reason to do it. It would still be a fair amount of work with no reason to do it until it needs it. It's not like any more damage will occur. So the answer to your question is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeh,thanks for that,this site has helped me a lot,and I appreciate the help
and good advice I have received over the years,I guess things have changed from when you could do a flathead H.G. job in a couple hours.

Ranger
11-02-08, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, that is true. Even when I did the head gaskets on my 4100 (in the car) years ago, I think it took me 4-5 days.

tateos
11-03-08, 04:35 PM
I am currently finishing up my head gasket job on a 96 eldorado etc. I must say this is one of the most difficult engines i have ever worked on. I have been doing it over the last two weeks, a little at a time and occasionally i have to walk away when getting frustated. I have time serted all 20 head bolts as well as replaced all lower end seals. the heads are now back in place and I am struggling with the water pump crossover pipe. what a pain in the _ _ _ ! However, with a little more patience and time, i hope to be installing it back in the car sometime this week. Its been a long long tedious job and its worn me out. However, if all goes well, I will be happy to be back in the drivers seat again. This is not for anyone who isnt mechanically inclined. Luckily i am and have all the necessary tools to accomplish this. And this site has also been a big help it getting the job done. Good luck with it.

That coolant crossover can be a bitch with the engine in the car, but with the engine OUT of the car, it really shouldn't be a problem.