: Boston Area - anyone with old brake pads they want to get rid of?

bpitas
11-02-08, 12:54 AM
Anyone have a set of "almost dead" front brake pads they wouldn't mind parting with? They don't have to have much life left on them, I only need them long enough to get a new set of rotors and pads from Lindsay. (maybe a couple of weeks of light use?) My current pads are completely gone, down to the backing plate, and the rotor's getting grooved...

I've been waiting for rotors and pads from BSI-Brakes, but I have one pad (left front inner) that's completely gone, probably due to a stuck piston in the caliper, and if I can replace that one, i think I'll get a couple of weeks out of the other pads.

I've been waiting for new rotors and pads from BSI since June - they were backordered since their supplier stopped delivering rear rotor blanks. After waiting a couple of months, I told them to just get them from GM-PartsDirect, and they supposedly did, but after hearing two weeks ago that they would be shipped in a week, BSI has gone completely dark. I've been calling twice a day for the last two weeks, left messages, etc, and they just aren't answering the phone or returning messages. Either they went out of business, closed down for a month, or they see my number on caller ID and don't answer - either way I need brakes badly and I'll probably end up getting them from Luke, but until I can do that, I need a set of pads for the front left to hold me until the new rotors and pads can come in. Anyone have a set of take-off old pads they can spare? You won't get them back in one piece - my rotors are already grooved, so they are going to trash the pads pretty quickly... :-(

Thanks in advance!

thebigjimsho
11-02-08, 01:01 AM
I have a set of pads...currently on the V. I was going to change to new Hawks that I have at the next track day, but that day didn't come. Do you need all 4 or just fronts? And can you wait a few more days??

randycsvt
11-02-08, 01:14 AM
I have four front pads sitting in a box. I knew there was a reason I didn't throw them out. PM me if you want them.

bpitas
11-02-08, 09:16 AM
God I love this site - I write a delirious email at oh-dark-thirty in the morning and have two replies when I wake up. :-)

Jim - I really appreciate the offer, and we should get together for a beer sometime soon, but I don't want to force you to do work that you weren't planning to do yet! If you REALLY don't mind changing them in the next couple of days, then cool, because I wanted to catch up with you anyway and I'm actually in Philly Monday through Thursday this week, but definitely don't do it if it's any trouble since Randy has a throwaway pair.

I was hoping for something like Randy where he literally had ones that he should have thrown out but didn't (like the new WRX rear pads I have for a car I don't even own anymore or even worse the C5 B&M shifter and harness/camera bar I have for a car I haven't owned in 6 years!).

-B

FloridaCPA
11-02-08, 09:35 AM
Good luck with BSI. I'm in the same situation. BSI was thrown off of the LS1 forum last week and off of eBay several weeks ago. I've given up on BSI and am going to have some skip tracing done on Ray Bryant and Andy Lipscomb. Maybe if I harass these guys personally I will get some satisfaction. I know it will at least make me feel better.

I've been waiting for new rotors and pads from BSI since June - they were backordered since their supplier stopped delivering rear rotor blanks. After waiting a couple of months, I told them to just get them from GM-PartsDirect, and they supposedly did, but after hearing two weeks ago that they would be shipped in a week, BSI has gone completely dark. I've been calling twice a day for the last two weeks, left messages, etc, and they just aren't answering the phone or returning messages. Either they went out of business, closed down for a month, or they see my number on caller ID and don't answer - either way I need brakes badly and I'll probably end up getting them from Luke, but until I can do that, I need a set of pads for the front left to hold me until the new rotors and pads can come in. Anyone have a set of take-off old pads they can spare? You won't get them back in one piece - my rotors are already grooved, so they are going to trash the pads pretty quickly... :-(

Thanks in advance!

thebigjimsho
11-02-08, 02:14 PM
God I love this site - I write a delirious email at oh-dark-thirty in the morning and have two replies when I wake up. :-)

Jim - I really appreciate the offer, and we should get together for a beer sometime soon, but I don't want to force you to do work that you weren't planning to do yet! If you REALLY don't mind changing them in the next couple of days, then cool, because I wanted to catch up with you anyway and I'm actually in Philly Monday through Thursday this week, but definitely don't do it if it's any trouble since Randy has a throwaway pair.

I was hoping for something like Randy where he literally had ones that he should have thrown out but didn't (like the new WRX rear pads I have for a car I don't even own anymore or even worse the C5 B&M shifter and harness/camera bar I have for a car I haven't owned in 6 years!).

-BYou flying to Philly this week? If I get some time today, I'll try. It only really takes a matter of minutes to change. It would take more time to jack the V up than to remove. But if I knew I had until Thursday, I know I could have it done by then. It wouldn't be a big deal and it has to be done anyway.

Then, I could just leave the pads under your windshield wipers.

Kidding, of course...

Rich64SS
11-02-08, 08:08 PM
I'll have some front pads after tomorrow night. I did the rears this weekend because I had a sticking pad on the passenger side. I live in Uxbridge and work in Westwood.

bpitas
11-02-08, 08:53 PM
You flying to Philly this week? If I get some time today, I'll try. It only really takes a matter of minutes to change. It would take more time to jack the V up than to remove. But if I knew I had until Thursday, I know I could have it done by then. It wouldn't be a big deal and it has to be done anyway.

Then, I could just leave the pads under your windshield wipers.

Kidding, of course...

LOL what's wrong with that?

I get back into Manchester airport Thursday around 6pm, so I'll be in the area from 7pm on, and then I'm in the office Friday. Let me know when it's convenient to meet up, and I'm there!

-B

bpitas
11-02-08, 08:56 PM
I'll have some front pads after tomorrow night. I did the rears this weekend because I had a sticking pad on the passenger side. I live in Uxbridge and work in Westwood.

Thanks man, but looks like I'm all set. BTW - what did you do to fix the sticking piston? The only car I ever had a sticky piston on was my '96 Cobra, and for that I used to pop them out and hit them with a little emery cloth - I haven't worked on the V's brakes yet...

-B

Rich64SS
11-02-08, 09:02 PM
It was a sticking inner pad. Once I was able to pry it out of the caliper, I hit it with some sandpaper where the buildup was. Pistons seem fine.

bpitas
11-02-08, 09:08 PM
yeah, I guess mine could just be a sticking pad too, not necessarily a piston - I'll have to check that first...
Thanks!

thebigjimsho
11-02-08, 09:57 PM
LOL what's wrong with that?

I get back into Manchester airport Thursday around 6pm, so I'll be in the area from 7pm on, and then I'm in the office Friday. Let me know when it's convenient to meet up, and I'm there!

-BHmmm, I'll either be in NY on Thursday night or early Friday morning. But we'll figure something out...