: Stock rocker arm ration

VortecCaddy
11-01-08, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know what the stock rocker arm ratio is for a 1990 chevy 350 with roller cam?

I am going to purchase some upgraded ones, any input is appreciated.

N0DIH
11-01-08, 07:18 PM
1.5:1.

1.6's are available, you can even get roller tips too. But all Gen 1 small blocks with stamped rockers are 1.5's. Check the circle track mags, good high po stuff, reasonable prices....

Does anyone know what the stock rocker arm ratio is for a 1990 chevy 350 with roller cam?

I am going to purchase some upgraded ones, any input is appreciated.

Best upgrade you can do. Get a set of Vortec 350 heads (NEW for $400-$450 at local GM dealer), 1.6:1 rollers ($200) and a F/Y Body LT1 cam (used free to dirt cheap, or get a modern Comp Cams grind $250) and you are looking at an easy 280 hp, maybe more closer to 300. Will mandate PCM tuning though.... All for less than $1000. All sorts of fun you can do with a 350 Chevy.

VortecCaddy
11-02-08, 03:49 PM
Thank you for the response. This is for a friend of mine who has a Roadmaster with the 5.7 in it.

I currently have the GM Fastburn heads. Same as vortec but can accept more lift. LT4 Hotcam kit, 383 stroker kit, headers, true dual w/out cats. gmpp intake manifold. Close to 450 hp.

I am still working on the computer tuning though. I am going for 500hp when its said and done. :yup:

N0DIH
11-02-08, 05:45 PM
Fastburns aren't same as Vortec, similar, but not near as good low lift flow. LT4 hot cam is a big cam, not good for heavy street car, go no larger than the F/Y stock cam.

Hogg
11-07-08, 02:25 PM
yes, the Fastburn heads dpnty have the low lift flow of the Vortec heads, but they do offer superior high lift flow comared to the Vortecs, ESP. on the exhaust side of things. The Vortecs exhaust port is poor when compared to its intake.

I would use a cam with way more lift than the stock F body or even a Y body cam.
This guiy neesds a cam with some lift to take advantage of his Fastburn heads.
The Hotcam will work, but be ready to use a higher stall torque converter to help with shift extension and loss of off idle torque.

I think a 396 or 406 shortblock and ported Fastburn heads will be needed to even get close to the 500hp mark, along with a pretty wild cam.

peace
Hog

VortecCaddy
11-11-08, 01:19 PM
I am sticking with the Hot Cam for now. .525 is enough lift for now. Keep in mind that this is a stroker motor also. The converter has been addressed. Also it has a 125 shot of NOS.