: Engine Hours Vs. Mileage

crusher
11-01-08, 09:20 AM
I recently purchased a 2005 Escalade that has an average of 25 mph. My 2004 averaged about the same or less the few times I checked it. I do live in an area with bumper to bumper traffic and I tend to always start my vehicles to get heat in the winter and cool in the summer, so they get alot of idol time. The 25 mph on the 2005 was a selling point to me. Kinda shows that the car was an around the town vehicle which I think is better for the truck. What do you guys average?

Rolex
11-01-08, 12:06 PM
I was under the impression that highway miles were "easier" on a vehicle then stop-and-go city driving. YMMV

CaNiBusCK
11-01-08, 01:04 PM
It's true, idleing and stop and go are the worst .... engines need air.... keeps the the temps way lower, burns less fluids, etc.....

crusher
11-01-08, 04:16 PM
I guess I look at from how I treated my 2004. I'm 57 and don't have a lead foot and usually stay at or under the speed limit. As far as idling and bumper to bumper traffic (I live at the Shore and we get plenty of that) I think that was a worry with the old carb cars. With all this computer management it keeps the heat at a steady temperature. Mine never seems to deviate much if I'm doing 60 or in traffic. I guess you may use more brakes but mine were still good at 49,000 miles so I can't even complain about that.

SUX2BU
11-01-08, 06:52 PM
The temp gauge doesn't work like it should. So you can't tell if the temp is going up and down without a diagnostic tool.

hcvone
11-03-08, 03:24 PM
I guess I look at from how I treated my 2004. I'm 57 and don't have a lead foot and usually stay at or under the speed limit. As far as idling and bumper to bumper traffic (I live at the Shore and we get plenty of that) I think that was a worry with the old carb cars. With all this computer management it keeps the heat at a steady temperature. Mine never seems to deviate much if I'm doing 60 or in traffic. I guess you may use more brakes but mine were still good at 49,000 miles so I can't even complain about that.

Kevin, you are 57, wow, I will start treating you nicer, just kidding. You didn't tell me you got rid of your truck. :)