: oil overfilled

fartman
10-31-08, 09:35 PM
I have a '95 sts and the dealer overfilled the crankase probably a 1/2 or 1 quart over. Is this bad, and is there any easy way to siphon it out?

Ranger
10-31-08, 09:44 PM
The only way to get any of it out is to loosen the drain plug, but don't completely pull it. Let a little drain, then put it back in and check it again. If it's only 1/2 qt, leave it. It will use it anyway. Even a qt. won't kill it. It will likely just get burned off quicker through the PCV. Why do you think that they overfilled it?

Submariner409
10-31-08, 09:46 PM
............don't forget that your engine takes 7.5 quarts of oil to bring the level to just over halfway up the dipstick hashmarks.

If the dealer did the oil/filter and charged you for 7.5 quarts of oil, you're OK.

fartman
11-01-08, 12:21 AM
i think the oil is up to the top of the platic part on the dipstick. It would make sense that those dipsticks at the dealership put in 8 instead of 7.5 I guess, but it seems too full. I tried to siphon it out through the dipstick tube but it is too thick. Dipstick is a funny word :)

Ranger
11-01-08, 11:11 AM
8 qts. is not going to hurt anything. Leave it alone. It will bring itself down.

Submariner409
11-01-08, 11:51 AM
Yep........A Northstar will quickly purge itself of an oil overfill.

You'll eventually find the level at which the engine likes to run: it may be full to the top of the hashmark, or it may be at the bottom. The oil will drop fairly quickly to where the engine is "happy", then stay there for many miles.

Many owners complain of excessive oil consumption: the level drops to halfway down the hashmark, they fill it to the top of the mark, the level goes back down quickly. Half, or maybe more, a quart in 1,500 miles. The Northstar holds 7.5 quarts, design full. Let it drop and see if there's a level at which the usage slows. If so, that's where you should run.