: Broken Front Tie Rod Beware

mgscustomtune
10-31-08, 07:33 PM
:mad: My Front Drivers side Tie Rod Broke today. My GM Dealership service sucks had the car service by them for eveything until my warrany ran 2 weeks ago. After inspecting the boot it is dry as a bone they have never greased it. After l replace it myself towmorow l am going to bring the tie rod to the dealership and let them see what there poor workmanship caused. Good thing l wasn't coming off a HWY ramp or taking a corner at any:mad: great speed or it could have been a total wreak. Luckly no other damage other than the broken tie rod. I will be replacing both left and right because more than likely they both have never been greased

CIWS
10-31-08, 07:41 PM
Sorry for your problems. This sounds like a dealership issue vs all of GM though.

YoshiV
10-31-08, 08:44 PM
I don't think today's tie rod ends even have grease fittings on them...they are "lubed for life"...and life does not mean they last forever, it means its okay until it breaks! It's exactly why my car doesn't go to the dealer unless its required...I'll do it myself thanks that way I give everything a once over while I'm a it.

mbiker97
10-31-08, 08:49 PM
How many miles? First owner? Ever been in an accident? Thank God you're safe!

SkullV
10-31-08, 08:51 PM
Is it just the ends? They break all the time. Is your car lowered? If so get the Z06 end links they are shorter. The factory tie rod ends are crap!

thebigjimsho
10-31-08, 08:53 PM
Is it just the ends? They break all the time. Is your car lowered? If so get the Z06 end links they are shorter. The factory tie rod ends are crap!Are you talking tie rod ends or endlinks???

AAIIIC
10-31-08, 10:57 PM
:mad: My Front Drivers side Tie Rod Broke today. My GM Dealership service sucks had the car service by them for eveything until my warrany ran 2 weeks ago. After inspecting the boot it is dry as a bone they have never greased it. After l replace it myself towmorow l am going to bring the tie rod to the dealership and let them see what there poor workmanship caused. Good thing l wasn't coming off a HWY ramp or taking a corner at any:mad: great speed or it could have been a total wreak. Luckly no other damage other than the broken tie rod. I will be replacing both left and right because more than likely they both have never been greased
:rolleyes: It sucks that a part on your car broke, but I hardly see how that's the dealer's fault. What was the mode of failure? Was the boot torn, allowing the grease to be washed away? If so, how long had the boot been torn? How many opportunities did the dealer have to inspect your steering gear prior to this failure? How many miles are on the car? How many miles has it been since the last time you had the car in for the dealer to inspect the steering gear?

Call me crazy, but I don't expect the dealer to do a full inspection of every component on the car if I bring it in to have something fixed.

As YoshiV said...

I don't think today's tie rod ends even have grease fittings on them...they are "lubed for life"...
I don't think I've ever seen a modern car (back to the mid 80s) with grease fittings on the tie rod ends. I'd be absolutely stunned if the V's were any different. If the tie rod boot was torn and the grease got washed out it wouldn't take long for the tie rod end to fail.

mgscustomtune
10-31-08, 11:22 PM
It snaped right inside the boot its all rusted out and dry zero grease. The car is not lowered never been in acident it has always been into the Dealership on time and as l explained they did a total once over before it was out of warranty. If the boot is self Sealed for life they should be checked not after you go head on into another car or tree with my kids in the car. That didn't happen but that has gone threw my mind what if. Doing the job myself is not an issue l own a shop the parts are already at the shop and its going up on the hoist in the morning and both left and right are being replaced. Get under your car and check the boots. I will take full pics towmorow of the boot on and off the car. l love my car and this would never sway me otherwise

SkullV
11-01-08, 12:02 AM
Are you talking tie rod ends or endlinks???

Oh damn, I completely missed what he was saying. Thanks Jim.

Your tie rod ends broke?

Kmajecki
11-01-08, 01:03 PM
My warranty just went out 30 miles ago and i am having some major vibrations up front. I just had a steering gear replaced thinking that was going to fix it. I've had an alignment and balance done and it still shakes a bit. I wonder if mine are going out and the added vibration is what stripped that gear.

Got any pics of where to look? I may need to check that out this afternoon and would love to see some pics first

Albertan
11-01-08, 03:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of lubed for life fittings. A few years ago I replaced a lower ball joint on a Lumina van I had. When I looked at it later I saw that it was all rusted and worn away. It had about 1/4" of play. It is a wonder that it didn't come apart. I sold the van shortly after. Used to call it "Jean Claude (damn van)".

mgscustomtune
11-01-08, 06:24 PM
I replaced both tie rods today. The right side that was not broken and the boot was still totally sealed was also dry and had major play in it. Was a difference it made after replacinng them the front feels real good. I used my tow bar for the stock cars to set the front end up until l get an aligmenty Monday I have pictures and l will post them.

Ak Jim
11-01-08, 09:53 PM
Napa sells a fitting that looks like a needle from a syringe. It has a greese fitting on the end and you put it in your greese gun. You then push it thru the rubber on the tire rod end or ball joint and lube away!

mgscustomtune
11-02-08, 12:10 AM
Excellant advice Jim. We were talking about that today when l was looking at tie rod's after l removed them. I used a syringe on my truck's steering boot to greese the intermediate steering shaft last year.

jr_vette
11-02-08, 09:03 AM
I replaced both tie rods today. The right side that was not broken and the boot was still totally sealed was also dry and had major play in it. Was a difference it made after replacinng them the front feels real good. I used my tow bar for the stock cars to set the front end up until l get an aligmenty Monday I have pictures and l will post them.

Crappy engineering? Possibly.
Crappy dealership for missing a dry "sealed" boot? No.

I'm quick to point the finger at GM dealerships..they have wrecked 2 of my cars and denied it (in both cases), but this is little far fetched. Just fix the damn thing yourself and move on. If they caused $4000 worth of damage, I could feel your pain, but this was something they didn't cause. Also you should NOT have expected them to catch every single item during your end-of-warranty inspection. Finally, this was a good faith inspection, and they in no way should they be expected or required by law to do it.

Sorry, you sound like a whiner. Move on already.

rlj5
11-02-08, 10:52 AM

Know what you mean,
My wifes cts that 2 weeks before had the 60,000 mile inspection done, Had the right tie rod end come off & destroyed the rack, Cost $1500 to fix. Not much of an inspection as far as I'm concerned at $300 charge for it.
I think if you pay for an inspection you should be able to figure nothing is getting ready to fall off, Much less a steering component that could kill someone. An inspection should be rather thorough in regard to safety things such as steering and brakes

ichpen
11-02-08, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Martin. This has happened to me before in an old nissan. Nothing more amusing than driving with both wheels pointed inwards. In hindsight quite catastrophic if it had happened at any great speed.

mgscustomtune
11-02-08, 05:23 PM
Left and Right Tie Rod Boots Dry(Major Component Mechanics 101)