: Why not to buy certain things from China (link)

"G$"
10-31-08, 04:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081031/ap_on_bi_ge/as_china_nestle...

Regarding this story: This is F'ing dispicable what they did. And apart from this, I would never buy any type of "food" manufactured in china. This is why I also like to avoid drinking out of waterbottles or plastic bottles that are manufactured in china because of the corners they cut over there. Way too much stuff is manufactured there and they don't have the same regulations.
From the article:
Dairy products contaminated with an industrial chemical have sickened tens of thousands of children in China and are blamed in the deaths of four infants.

Dairy suppliers are said to have added melamine, a chemical used to make plastics and fertilizer, to watered-down milk to dupe quality control tests and make the product appear rich in protein.

Nestle sent in 20 scientists from its research base in Switzerland to production sites to help set up specialized techniques for detecting melamine and similar compounds, according to Chief Technology Officer Werner Bauer. In addition, two highly specialized machines that can detect minute traces of melamine are currently being used at the new research and development center.

Since the scandal broke, the company began voluntary testing of all its dairy products produced before September 2008. All of its products have been certified by the Chinese government as safe, he said.

Trace amounts of melamine have been found in Nestle products, including milk powder and candy in Taiwan, Hong Kong and other places, though the amounts did not pose a danger to human health.

"We had never had a product that was unsafe for consumption," Bulcke said.

Bulcke called the contamination "a criminal act" and said he "strongly welcomed" the Chinese government's announcement of new guidelines earlier this month limiting acceptable melamine levels in food products. There had been no previous standards for the amount of the chemical allowed.

Ingesting a small amount of melamine poses no danger, but in larger doses it can cause kidney stones and lead to kidney failure.

Nestle's long-term practice of directly buying milk from 35,000-40,000 Chinese farmers without going through middlemen gives the company better control over its supply of raw milk, said Patrice Bula, head of Nestle's operations in China.

Bulcke said Nestle remains committed to China and said he is confident the government's recent moves to increase oversight in the dairy industry will help shore up consumer confidence.

However, regulating food safety in the country remains a challenge, with state media reporting this week that the practice of mixing melamine into animal feed is an "open secret" in an apparent tacit admission by the government that contamination in the country's food supply is more widespread.

Four brands of Chinese eggs have been found to be contaminated with melamine this past week, and agriculture officials speculated that the cause was contaminated feed given to hens. No illnesses have been linked to the eggs.

The government has not said what it is doing about the problem of melamine in animal feed.

"G$"
10-31-08, 04:38 PM
...wait so if Nestle buys their Milk from Chinese farmers, a very polluted country, I am thinking I don't want to buy anything from Nestle anymore, no candy no nothing.

Made in the USA from now on.

creeker
10-31-08, 06:57 PM
It comes down to money,nestle cuts out the middle man to save money,
along with a lot of other north america companies and manafacturers,
I am not condoning by any means the poor quality of products being produced in China,but if we are willing to buy this s--t,china will be willing to produce it, we are condoning it by buying their wares.When a north american controlled company wants 5,000,000 widgets they will put them up for the chinese to bid on,then they will cut corners to produce these widgets as cheap as possible. Speaking as the devil's advocate,you can
not totally blame the chinese as they are supplying a product to whom ever will buy it.

creeker
10-31-08, 08:13 PM
...wait so if Nestle buys their Milk from Chinese farmers, a very polluted country, I am thinking I don't want to buy anything from Nestle anymore, no candy no nothing.

Made in the USA from now on.

You really cant rely what is written on the package,there was a very good
show a while back exposing some products supposedly made in Canada,
the way they can get around it is, if say a can of salmon is marked "made in Canada" but it's actually made in asia. If the Canadian seller can claim
that the packaging,materials (cans) and labor to make this product exceed 52% of it's cost,they can legally say it is canadian made,with the
contents actually being made in Asia scary!!.

chubbyranger
11-04-08, 09:58 PM
You really cant rely what is written on the package,there was a very good
show a while back exposing some products supposedly made in Canada,
the way they can get around it is, if say a can of salmon is marked "made in Canada" but it's actually made in asia. If the Canadian seller can claim
that the packaging,materials (cans) and labor to make this product exceed 52% of it's cost,they can legally say it is canadian made,with the
contents actually being made in Asia scary!!.

Its the same theory as buying an "American" Honda. 51% domestic content qualifies. Never mind that its just your money that leaves the country... :banghead:

Elvis
11-06-08, 10:04 AM
Its the same theory as buying an "American" Honda. 51% domestic content qualifies. Never mind that its just your money that leaves the country... :banghead:

Amen.

I made the mistake in 1991 of crossing over to Acura/Honda. My decision was based on the superior quality of Japanese-manufactured cars. I was right about it to a certain extent. From 1991-2005 I owned two Legends, an RL, and a Prelude. They were outstanding, well-engineered vehicles.

But after I thought about it a little more, I realized how much damage I was doing to my own country. That was probably $125,000 I sent to another country. If just 1% of the people in this nation of 300,000,000+ decided to do exactly the same thing I did, it adds up to $375 BILLION sent over there.

My bet is that more than 1% of the people in this country did it, more like 40-50%.

How many trillions does that add up to? My calculator doesn't go that high.

How many jobs?

How much did we lose in tax revenue that we could have collected without RAISING TAX RATES?

I read somewhere that a dollar spent in any community turns over something like seven times. Where would be be today if we had that money back?

Okay, that's today's rant. Go back to whatever you were doing. :elvis3:

concorso
11-06-08, 08:59 PM
I agree with that to an extent. But the manufacturing is often done by american workers in american plants. Sure youre 50k for a Lexus RX is going to Japan. But the materials came from the US. The workers building the car are american...or maybe canadian in this example. So its not as drastic as it might look. Its not like all the cars are built in Japan and shipped here. Buying a Lexus does put money into the US economy, just not nearly as much as a domestic.

My bigger complaint is with the Gov't that doesnt tax the car in the same way domestics are taxed in Japan. Im all for competition. Thats what forced GM to make better cars. But right now, tho, Japan has a hold of us by the black curlies.

concorso
11-06-08, 09:01 PM
I wouldnt buy anything from China if I didnt have too....but we all love electronics.
Try to find ANY decent power amp fora home theatre that isnt almost entirely made in China. And Im talking about homegrown brands too....