: Winter Storage

tlsmeds
10-31-08, 02:14 PM
I am saddened to say that the V will soon be going to storage as the State of Nebraska simply lays down way to much sand and gravel for the front end paint to withstand. I only need to look at my other car (Maxima) to convince me that I not going to drive the V through the winter :thehand:

I have read some past threads regarding storing your car for winter. Some are very extensive. My thoughts are:

Stabil in the gas
Oil change
Air up the tires to max pressure
A good wash and wax
Car cover

Any other tips before the V goes to sleep?

OldRoadDawg
10-31-08, 02:35 PM
I feel your sadness. Mine is already tucked away.
I keep a battery tender on it, along with all the items you list, plus my chrome oem wheels & GSD#s come off and the Mille Miglia wheels/RSA's go on.

web site for: Battery Tender (http://www.batterytender.com/)

10-31-08, 03:08 PM
...now all the california and florida gang is gonna tease you....

NormV
10-31-08, 03:40 PM
...just put the Michelin Pilot Alpin's on!

:)

Norm

slim pickens
10-31-08, 03:42 PM
This is my first winter with the V...
I was thinking of storing my car on jackstands to keep from getting flat spots over the winter (semi heated garage, so not as bad as it could be). I still have the OE run-flat F1s, so they may not tend to flat spot as bad since the sidewalls are so stiff. I figure it wouldnt hurt though.

Anyone have thoughts as to how often to go out and start it up, let it warm up, etc? Too often doesnt make sense, but I dont want to let it go too long since it will end up being a 'dry' start after a while... Even though technically all starts are dry starts to some extent.

How about storing with the windows up, vs cracked, in a semi heated garage? We get some pretty serious temp/humidity swings in ohio... i am a little concerned about mold growth/stanky smells/ruining my pimp interior.

thebigjimsho
10-31-08, 03:56 PM
I am saddened to say that the V will soon be going to storage as the State of Nebraska simply lays down way to much sand and gravel for the front end paint to withstand. I only need to look at my other car (Maxima) to convince me that I not going to drive the V through the winter :thehand:

I have read some past threads regarding storing your car for winter. Some are very extensive. My thoughts are:

Stabil in the gas
Oil change
Air up the tires to max pressure
A good wash and wax
Car cover

Any other tips before the V goes to sleep?I've stored the past 2 winters. A battery tender argument is out there. But i used a tender last winter after not doing it the winter before. I like using the tender.

As for windows up/down, I went windows up. And it's best not to start it up occasionally unless you're going to go out and drive it. Just let it be and start it up when coming out of storage.

thebigjimsho
10-31-08, 03:57 PM
...just put the Michelin Pilot Alpin's on!

:)

NormYes, but I don't think you have long-term preservation as a goal here. :bouncy:

rand49er
10-31-08, 04:19 PM
Yes, but I don't think you have long-term preservation as a goal here. :bouncy::histeric: No doubt about it, Norm has the perfect track V.

I've tried to store mine the last couple of winters, but invariably when there's a break and the roads are dry, I get it out for a drive. This year, I may be able to keep it in the garage a little more since my wife is getting used to it sitting in there with a cover on it. I may look into that tender, too. Thanks, Dave! :thumbsup:

YoshiV
10-31-08, 04:59 PM
This is my first winter with the V...
I was thinking of storing my car on jackstands to keep from getting flat spots over the winter (semi heated garage, so not as bad as it could be). I still have the OE run-flat F1s, so they may not tend to flat spot as bad since the sidewalls are so stiff. I figure it wouldnt hurt though.

Anyone have thoughts as to how often to go out and start it up, let it warm up, etc? Too often doesnt make sense, but I dont want to let it go too long since it will end up being a 'dry' start after a while... Even though technically all starts are dry starts to some extent.

How about storing with the windows up, vs cracked, in a semi heated garage? We get some pretty serious temp/humidity swings in ohio... i am a little concerned about mold growth/stanky smells/ruining my pimp interior.

In Ohio i'd just plan on driving it sometimes...I daily drive mine and don't care about long term preservation...my Sottozero's are on and ready to go. But seriously...Ohio winter's aren't that brutal in terms of snow fall so i'd just take it out on clear days...who cares if it's cold.

NormV
10-31-08, 05:02 PM
Don't start it unless your going to drive it. CondenSation builds up in the engine and exhaust when just idling in storage.

Once a year I'd spray liquid silicone on the doors and trunk weather stripping. I picked up a 00 C5 in 06 with 9,400 miles and within a year of removing the top the rubber weather stripping is starting to disengrate.

Fresh fluids is best along with a full tank of gas. If parked on cement I'd suggest a piece of wood under each tire to help with flat spots in the spring.

Norm

whisler151
10-31-08, 07:14 PM
I dont think I could go all winter without driving my V. I'm glad I live in Dallas!

Best of luck with the storage.

tlsmeds
10-31-08, 08:19 PM
I dont think I could go all winter without driving my V. I'm glad I live in Dallas!

Oh believe me, I would love to live somewhere warmer where I could drive the V all year round. :cool2:

mbiker97
10-31-08, 09:58 PM
My winter wheels/tyres are going on next weekend, but like other have said I still plan on driving it some during the winter. Last year it was my only car, but this year I picked up a winter ride.

GMBOUND
11-01-08, 06:53 PM
Mines is parked until the end of December, after that we going to DD in the snow on the Dunlop Winter Sports!

Mystical_Ice
11-02-08, 01:03 AM

agreed... i get antsy if i can't drive it for a few days.