: Which CTS model has a comfortable ride?

Mercedez L.
10-31-08, 12:39 PM
Which car between the 2009 CTS-V and the new 2009 standard CTS with V-6 will have a better ride on bumpy roads.

parexa
10-31-08, 01:07 PM
Regular CTS of course because it has smaller rims and softer suspension

CIWS
10-31-08, 01:42 PM
You would have to ask someone who's had a chance to drive/ride in both cars. But the CTS-V has magnetic ride control and the standard CTS does not, so I'm betting on the CTS-V.

Mercedez L.
10-31-08, 03:25 PM
I would guess that the regular V-6 CTS will be more reliable and less in cost to maintain and drive everyday.

CIWS
10-31-08, 07:34 PM
I don't know I would say it's going to be more reliable, but there's almost no doubt that a high performance luxury vehicle is going to have greater maintenance costs than a standard version, depending upon how long one holds on to the car. The cost of gas for a 300 HP V6 is going to be less than a 556 HP V8. However I'm not quite sure why you might be considering the V car if the V6 version is a possibility as they are different animals and 12-20K apart in cost, depending upon options.

Mercedez L.
11-01-08, 02:14 AM
I don't know I would say it's going to be more reliable, but there's almost no doubt that a high performance luxury vehicle is going to have greater maintenance costs than a standard version, depending upon how long one holds on to the car. The cost of gas for a 300 HP V6 is going to be less than a 556 HP V8. However I'm not quite sure why you might be considering the V car if the V6 version is a possibility as they are different animals and 12-20K apart in cost, depending upon options.

Yes I agree both are two different models and engines but to me it is a matter of having the V-6 model or V-8 model but not at the expense of a comfortable ride like alot of these supercars are which is why I'm curious about which one is softer riding as the CTS-V has that magnetic suspension but then again with those low profile tires and a sport suspension might just mean it handles better but a little comfort in ride might be sacrificed compared to the 300 HP V6.

CIWS
11-01-08, 08:50 AM
but then again with those low profile tires and a sport suspension might just mean it handles better but a little comfort in ride might be sacrificed compared to the 300 HP V6.

This is true. Both the original CTS-V and the STS-V come stock from the factory with run-flat tires, which as you may know provide a harder ride than the standard tire. But many owners like myself end up replacing those with various other size and type. If a potential owner didn't want to work through the first set of OEM tires, I'm sure any dealership would be glad to refit the car for an owner. Personally as I have done with both cars I've owned, the CTS-V and now STS-V, I've simply run down the OEM set and then replaced them with the tire of my choice which did improve the ride from the run-flats.

HPCC
11-01-08, 01:41 PM
...I've simply run down the OEM set and then replaced them with the tire of my choice which did improve the ride from the run-flats.Off-topic: Just curious, what are the choices/strategies nowadays when you do this? Is it still either carry a compact spare or a pressurized can o' goo? Are there any other innovative ways to "limp along?"

LV_V
11-01-08, 02:20 PM
AAA ;)

Or just watch where you're driving and hope for the best! i.e. no potholes or piles of glass from accidents

whisler151
11-01-08, 04:33 PM
Which car between the 2009 CTS-V and the new 2009 standard CTS with V-6 will have a better ride on bumpy roads.

Which car rides better, a C300 or C63 AMG?

Kind of seems like a pointless question. You don't buy a RS4/IS-F/M3/C63/CTS-V for ride comfort. You buy it for performance.

Sorry, I just do not understand why someone would base their purchase on ride comfort when comparing two extremes. I didn't get my CTS-V because of its ride comfort, I got it because of the performance. :highfive:
If I wanted ride comfort I would have got a regular CTS or a Volvo. :histeric:

CIWS
11-01-08, 11:21 PM
Off-topic: Just curious, what are the choices/strategies nowadays when you do this? Is it still either carry a compact spare or a pressurized can o' goo? Are there any other innovative ways to "limp along?"

In the current CTS-V you can carry a full size spare, the upcoming 09V we'll have to wait and see if it has the full size well in the back to see if it's possible to do the same. With the STS-V, stock, it is not because it uses two different size wheels on the car. However there is always Cadillac roadside assistance and when that runs out AAA or any other hosts of roadside assistance to take it's place.

Koooop
11-02-08, 10:10 AM

V-6 is For The Woman.

concorso
11-02-08, 11:43 AM
In the current CTS-V you can carry a full size spare, the upcoming 09V we'll have to wait and see if it has the full size well in the back to see if it's possible to do the same. With the STS-V, stock, it is not because it uses two different size wheels on the car. However there is always Cadillac roadside assistance and when that runs out AAA or any other hosts of roadside assistance to take it's place.Wont the 09 V come with staggered tire widths f-r?

whisler151
11-02-08, 02:52 PM
Wont the 09 V come with staggered tire widths f-r?

Yes, but minimally you can use the smaller tire width as a spare because the WHEEL size will be the same front and rear. CIWS and all other STS-V owners have 19" in the rear and 18" in the front. That makes it damn near impossible to have a spare. :cookoo:

lawfive
11-02-08, 06:56 PM
Depends on what you mean by "better."

RightTurn
11-02-08, 07:10 PM
:food-snacking:

Koooop
11-02-08, 10:35 PM
^^V-6 owner.

hehe

CIWS
11-02-08, 11:02 PM
Yes, but minimally you can use the smaller tire width as a spare because the WHEEL size will be the same front and rear. CIWS and all other STS-V owners have 19" in the rear and 18" in the front. That makes it damn near impossible to have a spare. :cookoo:

:yeah:

You could carry a single wheel size and a tire that would get you down the road if needed.

RightTurn
11-03-08, 12:30 AM
^^V-6 owner.

hehe

^^ Instigator. :thepan:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
11-03-08, 01:31 AM

Why's that matter? Spare just needs to clear the brakes and have the same bolt pattern.

Bigron
11-03-08, 11:47 AM
Wait which one has more cup holders, I am not going to buy a V unless it can hold more drinks.

Koooop
11-03-08, 04:55 PM
Why's that matter? Spare just needs to clear the brakes and have the same bolt pattern.

You shouldn't run tires of different sizes on a limited slip rear.

So a 19" spare might rub on the front or an 18" spare might jack up your diff. What to do...

Koooop
11-03-08, 04:58 PM
^^ Instigator. :thepan:

:lildevil::stirpot:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
11-03-08, 11:02 PM
You shouldn't run tires of different sizes on a limited slip rear.

So a 19" spare might rub on the front or an 18" spare might jack up your diff. What to do...

They're only .7" difference in diameter front to back. I wouldn't think that would be a huge issue for limited spare duty. But oh well.

Koooop
11-04-08, 12:17 AM
One tire spinning faster than the other on a unit that is designed to force both tires to spin at the same rate isn't going to work out well.

lawfive
11-04-08, 01:15 AM
^^ Orange County leftist elitist math major

Koooop
11-04-08, 03:33 AM
^^Libertarian

Mercedez L.
11-13-08, 05:55 PM
Regular CTS of course because it has smaller rims and softer suspension

Less noise too with smaller tires. No spare tire now? runflat tires and those don't ride comfortable.

Koooop
11-13-08, 11:46 PM
V6 = Car for the Woman with a cushy ride

V8 = Car for me

RightTurn
11-14-08, 12:05 AM
Don't you have someplace to be? Srsly. :alchi:

Koooop
11-14-08, 12:30 AM
^^Yeah, time to go get some!

Woohoo! I out.

RightTurn