: Just bought a used 1999 Deville 4.6L

buckeyecaddy1
10-31-08, 12:45 PM
Orginal 85,200 miles, car isn't leaking oil, or seem to have any overheating problem. Constantly runs between 205 to 215 temperature after warm up. Engine runs very smooth and quiet. No pinging or knocking..using premium gas. Car appears to have been very well taken care of. Only problem so far is A/C compressor developed leak but was covered under warranty plan I bought. Is is a possiblity I might have gotten a Northstar which will not develope any of the horror stories you read on this site. The car is extemely resonsive and drives like a dream. I plan on doing all preventative maint. requried by GM. I have read in other forums where people have had no problems at all. Someone make me feel good about this decision..First Cadillac and proud of it!

sams2100
10-31-08, 04:10 PM
I'm in the same boat (caddy that is). Just bought a '99 DeVille and its running great so far. My temps range from about 197 to 203, so it seems cool enough. I will probably change the oil in the near future since it was only driven maybe twice a week before I got it.

Any plans for upgrades to yours yet? So far I'm thinking of a remote start and a radio that actually has a cd player. (seen some on ebay)

creeker
10-31-08, 05:13 PM
Orginal 85,200 miles, car isn't leaking oil, or seem to have any overheating problem. Constantly runs between 205 to 215 temperature after warm up. Engine runs very smooth and quiet. No pinging or knocking..using premium gas. Car appears to have been very well taken care of. Only problem so far is A/C compressor developed leak but was covered under warranty plan I bought. Is is a possiblity I might have gotten a Northstar which will not develope any of the horror stories you read on this site. The car is extemely resonsive and drives like a dream. I plan on doing all preventative maint. requried by GM. I have read in other forums where people have had no problems at all. Someone make me feel good about this decision..First Cadillac and proud of it!

Dont worry,be happy,just enjoy it.

buckeyecaddy1
10-31-08, 05:33 PM
Sams,
No upgrades at this time....the CD player has never been that big of a deal for me....before I did that I would consider a Sirus receiver or possibly HD radio. I'm and old classic r&r guy and there is plenty of stations for that. I love the one response I got that said don't worry and just enjoy the car....I just have read so many horror stories about the Northstar and this HG problem. I can't believe everyone they produced is prone to this problem.

Submariner409
10-31-08, 05:37 PM
sams2100, Be very, very careful about installing any sort of aftermarket electronics. Remote starters tend to screw up the security systems and head units can present some weird problems like trunks opening at 60 mph and headlights that flash on and off.

Why? Because most of the car wiring is not only used for turning things on and off, it is also a serial data bus which carries control and diagnostic info throughout the car. Cut the wrong wire and you have gremlins.

STS2003 is in school now, he's good at that sort of install work and comes and goes in here a few times a week.....hook up.

You'll hear pro's and con's.......just know exactly what you're doing before starting ANY job on a Cadillac.........

Ranger
10-31-08, 10:04 PM
Buckeye, your temps are right where they should be. Remember, people come here when they have a problem so see a lot of problems. Granted, the head gasket is the Northstars weak link, but they don't all fail. No way of predicting it. As mentioned, maintain it and enjoy it.

ososik1
12-08-08, 10:41 PM
i just bought my first deville too , i spent 4 thousand in cash.... '99 only 100,053 miles, excellent condition......ran smooth as cream......installed a new deck amp and kickers, its been good for 1 month and half.........since i bought the car...........now its been sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks and i cant get it to start.....my advice.......make sure you make the right choice in upgrading......

[NortHStaR]
12-08-08, 11:19 PM
As said above be carful with upgrades.

CHANGE YOUR COOLANT ASAP!! Coolant changes and cooling system maitenence is key to 'prolonging' your head gaskets life. Sadly you bought a 1999 which seems to be the most troubled year (per polls on this website).

Just enjoy the car read up on this site and post any problems and everyone will try to help! :thumbsup:

Destroyer
12-08-08, 11:43 PM
sams2100, Be very, very careful about installing any sort of aftermarket electronics. Remote starters tend to screw up the security systems and head units can present some weird problems like trunks opening at 60 mph and headlights that flash on and off.

Why? Because........... ..................you are messing with perfection!:histeric:

Submariner409
12-09-08, 10:49 AM
:thepan: Don't put words in my mouth.

For those interested, go back and read Post #5, which explains why you must know exactly what wire does what before cutting or splicing.

erivera2667
01-13-09, 01:50 PM
Hi
Just purchased my first caddy its a 1999 Deville with 36,798 miles. Noticed an oil leak took it back they are fixing it now. Leak was oil pan gasket, they replaced the sending unit. Hope to be getting back today. I hope this isnt the beginning of a bad situation. I just love my car, but I'm thinking of getting an extended warranty just because.

Aron9000
01-14-09, 05:50 AM
For the CD player problem, look on ebay for an OEM headunit with the CD player. Should be plug and play, no wire splicing.

tateos
01-14-09, 01:15 PM
Hi
Just purchased my first caddy its a 1999 Deville with 36,798 miles. Noticed an oil leak took it back they are fixing it now. Leak was oil pan gasket, they replaced the sending unit. Hope to be getting back today. I hope this isnt the beginning of a bad situation. I just love my car, but I'm thinking of getting an extended warranty just because.

Both my original engine, and my used replacement engine both blew HGs/ threads failed, so I think they will mostly all fail - just a matter of time. I repaired the second engine when it failed and I am very happy with the results. I would either spend the money on the warranty, or just be prepared to spend some money out of pocket, which is not the end of the world either

CaptainFishpond
01-17-09, 09:21 PM
I have a remote start installed in my 99 and have had no electrical gremlins pop up. I also wanted a cd player in the car but wasnt about to splice, so I got a 12 disc changer out of an 01 Firebird that came in to my work. It works great and required practically no work to install.

erivera2667
02-04-09, 04:31 PM
well after weeks and 2 mechanics later i have my baby back and all seems to be fine. I just love my car. no oil leaks.

Destroyer
02-04-09, 11:59 PM
Someone make me feel good about this decision..First Cadillac and proud of it!Yeah, well, yeah......... good luck with it!:histeric:

delatorre1986
02-05-09, 02:26 AM
Yeah, well, yeah......... good luck with it!:histeric:

Well enjoy the car and don't mind Destroyer hes probably a good guy, but he has had some drama with his last cadi.

poor poor destroyer......

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/impaladude63/th_cry4me.jpg (http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/impaladude63/?action=view&current=cry4me.flv)

;)

CaptainFishpond
02-07-09, 12:00 AM
Well enjoy the car and don't mind Destroyer hes probably a good guy, but he has had some drama with his last cadi.

poor poor destroyer......

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/impaladude63/th_cry4me.jpg (http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/impaladude63/?action=view&current=cry4me.flv)

;)

Yeah but he owns two Fords, so.....

Maybe his hate for the Northstar is just misdirected hostility.

Destroyer
02-07-09, 07:48 AM
Yeah but he owns two Fords, so.....

Maybe his hate for the Northstar is just misdirected hostility.No, I don't like the N* because it's junk. That has nothing to do with my Ford and Chrysler products. If they prove to be unreliable piles of crap I wouldn't buy another one of them either.

CaptainFishpond
02-07-09, 09:58 AM
No, I don't like the N* because it's junk. That has nothing to do with my Ford and Chrysler products. If they prove to be unreliable piles of crap I wouldn't buy another one of them either.

But you would probably join their forums to troll.

97EldoCoupe
02-07-09, 05:11 PM
The Northstar is not unreliable at all. I made 3 trips to Manitoba from Ontario, through both the USA and around Northern Canada. The Cadillacs never failed. Not even so much as a flat tire on the trip. Mind you they both had their head gaskets done already. So if in doubt, and you know the vehicle history, get the HGs done as preventative maintenance. You may be VERY glad you did. I will openly admit that GM screwed up with the head bolt design but there is a number of methods available now to correct this factory flaw.

I will note that my '98 still has a fluxuating speedometer above 60MPH, and replacing the VSS didn't help. I read up in the SI archives that some transmission housings were incorrectly machined, so the VSS is out of range from the sensing wheel in the transmission. This is something I plan to fix soon. There were a certain number of cars affected, I think mostly in 1998.

Destroyer
02-08-09, 02:31 AM
But you would probably join their forums to troll.No wise ass. I joined this forum when I had my modded '91 Fleetwood Brougham...........my 5th (maybe 6th or 7th, I lose track) Cadillac at that time. I bought the wife the N* Deville much later on from an old friend that needed to sell it quick for financial reasons. It ain't trolling, it's warning would be owners to not get one of these bastard GM mistakes and watch all you guys trying to make your cars fast..............it's hysterical;) I still love Cadillacs, just not the N* crap or any FWD Caddy since the early Eldo verts. Love has it's limits and if I thought my case was isolated I would not bash the crapstar motor or the cars they came in but mine was far from an isolated case. You can count on new people signing up daily having "coolant issues". :lolsign:

Destroyer
02-08-09, 02:37 AM
The Northstar is not unreliable at all. I made 3 trips to Manitoba from Ontario, through both the USA and around Northern Canada. The Cadillacs never failed. Not even so much as a flat tire on the trip. Mind you they both had their head gaskets done already. With all due respect Jake, you had the H/G's done and you did the labor so it was financially worthwhile for you to do so but the H/G issue is the knock down blow for many of us who either can't afford the repair and/or have enough sense to know that the car isn't worth the repair......................unless we all had Jakes living near by that'll fix it for cheap. :cool:

chubbyranger
02-08-09, 07:32 AM
It ain't trolling, it's warning would be owners to not get one of these bastard GM mistakes and watch all you guys trying to make your cars fast..............it's hysterical

Another selfless and dedicated public servant trying to save us ungrateful miscreants from our own stupidity. And here we've misunderstood all along. So does the color of your cape match your tights or did you go for contrast?

Submariner409
02-08-09, 09:24 AM
Actually its sort of tit for tat: All "us guys" are not trying to make our cars faster, at least not the ones that understand the nature of a 4,000 lb. FWD consumer luxury-oriented vehicle with serious HP and torque limitations unsullied by aftermarket support. We enjoy a Cadillac that looks good, feels good, and drives well, and understand full well that the way to "go fast" is to use the Cadillac to tow the built '68 Camaro to the track. Most of the ones who try to make a FWD Seville or Eldorado "go fast" eventually learn that, without great expense, time, and custom one-off work there ain't no way, and usually wind up making the car slower, but noisier and unreliable, in the bargain. No matter what you do, there will always be a Beemer, Corvette, Mustang, or Lexus just around the corner waiting to kick your butt.

........and, as always, the GM Northstar is not, by far, the only internal combustion engine to have its share of problems and hiccups. To think otherwise is the old ostrich "head in the sand" approach.

97EldoCoupe
02-08-09, 10:14 AM
I'm working on setting up an "installer" network for the stud kit across the U.S. Nobody who's never touched a Northstar will be on that list. I don't care if these are retired GM mechanics or your average car enthusiast but they have to be good with a wrench and have dealt with at least one Northstar V8. There will be a national price that everyone pays to get their HGs done. I will help these shops out with tech support, parts, of course ship them the studs, and advertising/warranty/customer feedback is going through my company.

I would like to get at least one shop in each state on the list, but that may take a while. They have to be willing to do it for the national price I set, and of course I'll be negotiating parts discounts as well.

I'm not leaving the Canadian provinces out.

They'll be starting off with my method of repair and my reputation, and hopefully that "0 failure" rate will continue for a very long time. I will have engines on standby in case of re-failure or cracked cylinders/blocks, etc.

These shops, once experienced with the Northstar, can also tackle the smaller things like water pump replacements, alternators, belts/hoses, what some garages refuse to do because "it's a Cadillac".

There needs to be a low cost repair available in all states, as I have had cars come from New York, Michigan, Ohio, and New Jersey. Probably over 10+ to date from these states.

I don't know how long HGs will be blowing on these cars so hopefully the time, effort, and financial investments will pay off, and hopefully I, and many other ambitious mechanics, can save N* owners a good chunk of change.

Destroyer
02-09-09, 07:26 PM
Another selfless and dedicated public servant trying to save us ungrateful miscreants from our own stupidity. And here we've misunderstood all along. So does the color of your cape match your tights or did you go for contrast?
"Captain Northstar Destroyer" to you! LOL. I have NEVER been in an auto forum where there are this many problems with a certain type of car. Now that I've "been there and done that" with the N* it's kinda fun sitting back and watching the inevitable train wreck everyone eventually has with them.

Knowledge is everything and you are all a bit biased when a newbie comes on and asks if he/she should buy that shiny N* car that he/she found for cheap. The answer, based on what is on this forum alone (not just my experience), should always be "no" unless you explain to them what they are getting into. Hate on me but somewhere in there, you know I'm right.:cool:

Ranger
02-09-09, 09:54 PM
it's kinda fun sitting back and watching the inevitable train wreck everyone eventually has with them.
I have said before that you take great pleasure in other peoples misfortune. I rest my case.

CaptainFishpond
02-09-09, 10:51 PM
"Captain Northstar Destroyer" to you! LOL. I have NEVER been in an auto forum where there are this many problems with a certain type of car. Now that I've "been there and done that" with the N* it's kinda fun sitting back and watching the inevitable train wreck everyone eventually has with them.

Knowledge is everything and you are all a bit biased when a newbie comes on and asks if he/she should buy that shiny N* car that he/she found for cheap. The answer, based on what is on this forum alone (not just my experience), should always be "no" unless you explain to them what they are getting into. Hate on me but somewhere in there, you know I'm right.:cool:

Its a shame that nobody taught you how to do something constructive with your energy.

ibm4mad
02-10-09, 06:43 PM
For the CD player problem, look on ebay for an OEM headunit with the CD player. Should be plug and play, no wire splicing.

I had a Beige 98 deville, which had 92,500 miles on it when I bought it. I replaced it with an 02 deville with 34,000 two weeks ago.

About that CD player....the head units in these cars are "special" because they control your door chimes, hold the memory settings for your seats and mirrors if you have that feature, and possibly a few other interesting things I dont know about....

Also, if you have the radio that is an AM/FM/Casette, you can not put one of the OEM, in-dash cd players (at least not easily.) Reasno being: That casette deck is "pre-amp" meaning that the head unit directly powers the speakers. The CD deck is an amplified deck meaning an external amplifier (located in the trunk and wired up magically to the audio system) powers the speakers to give them more "boom." If you put a CD deck in your car which was built on the tape-deck audio system, you won't get any sound because your car doesn't have the necessary amplifier anymore.

What you CAN do is go on ebay and find a trunk mounted cd changer. They make 6, 10, and 12 cd changers for that body style. I bought a 6 cd changer off ebay for about fifty bucks if I remember. If you pull back the carpeting in your trunk, you will see the wiring for your power antenna and also an unused conncetor...that unused connector is in every 97-99 car and can be used to hook up the trunk cd changer. After that you just hit "SOURCE" on your head unit to activate the cd.

Destroyer
02-10-09, 11:01 PM
Its a shame that nobody taught you how to do something constructive with your energy.Ok Captain Fish pond (wtf?), what does your mom or girlfriend look like?:stirpot:

CaptainFishpond
02-11-09, 04:14 PM
Ok Captain Fish pond (wtf?), what does your mom or girlfriend look like?:stirpot:

Okay, douchestroyer what does your girlfriend look like? wait, whats that? Girls don't like 37 year old guys who spend all their time on car forums???? shocking!!!

Anyway, I'm done with this. Arguing with some one over a forum is one of the most immature things one can do.

Destroyer
02-12-09, 12:15 AM
Anyway, I'm done with this. Arguing with some one over a forum is one of the most immature things one can do.You started it Captain Fishy!:bonkers:

Destroyer
02-12-09, 12:17 AM
Okay, douchestroyer what does your girlfriend look like? wait, whats that? Girls don't like 37 year old guys who spend all their time on car forums???? shocking!!!Douchestroyer! LMAO!!! That's great! I don't have a girlfriend AND I don't spend all my time on car forums although I do spend a lot of time working on the computer. Check yourself, maybe it's you that you are talking about..................

C0RSA1R
02-12-09, 03:54 AM
Now that I've "been there and done that" with the N* it's kinda fun sitting back and watching the inevitable train wreck everyone eventually has with them.

See, as much as I disagree with the assertion that the N* is crap, I will agree with Destroyer when he says that one should research any product before you buy it.

If my HG fails, I already have the cash socked away. See, I did not do my research beforehand, and if the HG had failed within two weeks of buying the car, I would have been up a creek. However, I found this forum, and realized that HGs were a fairly common complaint. Even before I joined up, I immediately began socking some cash away in a separate account for any repairs. Now that it's there, I'm set.

And you know what Destroyer, I feel for you. I know why you're angry at the N*, and it's not just because it failed. It's because you were probably very fond of that DeVille you bought. And when it went to hell in a handbasket, you felt cheated, and it was made worse by the fact that you really liked the car. So while I disagree with your assertions, painting the N* with a broad brush as "crap", and I find your constant harping about the engine to be somewhat off-putting, I understand where you're coming from. If my ETC failed like that DeVille did, there is a chance I would feel the same way.

Yeah, that paragraph settles it. I'm officially too drunk to operate a keyboard. If there were a cop here, he'd seal my USB ports with glue after letting me off with a warning. :alchi:

C0RSA1R
02-12-09, 04:12 AM
And before someone comes after me or my girlfriend for sticking up for Destroyer (he had his heart broken by a 32-valve wonder - it's not all his fault), say hello to my little friend.

Oh, and unlike one of our comrades (*cough**cough* Mythy), I have permission and am not a farther.

Destroyer
02-12-09, 08:09 AM
And before someone comes after me or my girlfriend for sticking up for Destroyer (he had his heart broken by a 32-valve wonder - it's not all his fault), say hello to my little friend.
Well yeah it was disapointing to see the H/G problem present itself but I wouldn't say I had a broken heart. I knew N* cars well in that I rented them for years driving back and forth to NY and to other locations. I liked them, wasn't particularly thrilled with the quality and workmanship but when an old friend needed to sell his I figured it would do well for the wife. The problems started immediately from the smell of coolant, rear suspension failing, etc. It was after the purchase that I realized how bad these cars really were. Every mechanic I went to for estimates really did not want to work on the car and several called these Cadillacs "junk" or "crap", etc. There is a reason why these cars are going cheap and it isn't just the economy, it's the crappy design and construction.

CaptainFishpond
02-12-09, 09:13 AM
Sounds like you should be mad at your friend, not the motor.

Submariner409
02-12-09, 09:50 AM
Why turn some guy's thread into a no-win pissing contest ??

(BTW, It's nice to see that ol' Corsa1r's tastes run to the filet mignon rather than cheeseburger.......)

CaptainFishpond
02-12-09, 10:44 AM
Your right, back to the topic at hand.

Wait, what was the topic at hand?

C0RSA1R
02-12-09, 03:11 PM
Wait, what was the topic at hand?

Started with the OP asking us to predict the future for him, moved to the N* gamble that we all take (or have taken), jumped to responsible buying through research, took a detour down "Don't Mess Your Car Up With Useless Mods" Lane, abruptly arrived at a T-Junction, spun through N* Haterville, pulled off the road to engage in a dick-swinging contest, and is currently parked at the restaurant for some filet mignon.

Take your pick, I think the OP is probably pretty confused by now.

CaptainFishpond
02-12-09, 03:57 PM
Well, buckeye, if your out there lets here how the Caddy is running.

buckeyecaddy1
02-16-09, 04:24 PM
Geez what a thread.......I originally was looking for a positive, well informed group of well wishers in my new ownership. I believe I got both sides of the story. Destroyer is a riot,....will "kinda".....and all the rest are dedicated to their caddy's for the most part. However, my 1999 Deville, which was running fine, no signs of the HG problem, just did prevent on the cooling system, transmission fluid change, all the shit your suppose to do.....well 3 weeks ago while coming back from my girfriends I decided to butt f--- a Jeep Cherokee @ about 25 mph. Sat on the curb wondering how bad could it be.....the car was drivable and my thought was OK... minor body shop work....Estimates came back in the $7500-8000 range,,,,,insurance totaled the car.....whatever salvage lot got this car, got a good engine and tranny, enterior seats were like new......I'm terribly sorry, I jumped the ocean, 2005 Nissan Altima in show room condition, 3.5L which is worth about 3 times what the Caddy was......for only 9K, I looked @ some Lincoln's.....but couldn't simply because Destroyer drives one.

Ranger
02-16-09, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear about that Buckeye. At the cost of labor now a days it doesn't take much.

Destroyer
02-16-09, 06:16 PM
I decided to butt f--- a Jeep Cherokee @ about 25 mph. Decided to purposely hit a Jeep @ 25mph. I'm sorry but this might just be slang I don't understand (I hope so).

I looked @ some Lincoln's.....but couldn't simply because Destroyer drives one.I'd rather have an Altima 3.5L myself. I don't "like" Lincolns per se. I only said they are more reliable than N* Cadillacs. I compare Cadillacs with Lincolns because both brands are American and cater to the same audience. Anybody wanna rag on Lincolns or Dodge's cause I own one? Go ahead :welcome:, I don't own stock in either company and don't get "attached" to my vechicles.