: 03 Deville Filter Adapter Oil Leak

alascaddy
10-31-08, 12:06 AM
Our Deville began leaving oil puddles on the garage floor so I put it up on the lift and the oil filter had a small dent in the bottom of it. Suspecting the leak to be the filter seal dislodged I removed it, cleaned and re-installed it a litle tighter than normal and the leak persisted. Tonight I hoisted it again and installed a new filter. I ran it on the lift and I could see oil seeping out of the bottom edge of the gasket between the filter adapter and the block. I tightened the 3 bolts that appeared to be holding the adapter on. It still seeped oil. Is this a common problem with the Norstar? What should I replace to stop this leak?

JimD
10-31-08, 12:24 AM
There is no gasket; there are two O rings that seal the adapter to the block. Replace them and see if it continues to leak.

Sounds like someone bounced the bottom of the engine over a parking lot obstacle course!! Might have done more damage than just O rings.

Submariner409
10-31-08, 05:49 AM
As JimD pointed out, there are O-rings which seal the adapter to the block flange. Not a hard job to replace, but you might also want to have a couple of oil pipe quick-connect fittings on hand when you do the repair. Along with the O-rings, at any Cadillac dealer. (The internal O-rings in the machined quick connects occasionally take a set and won't reseal.)

I don't like the idea of a dented filter case, either.

alascaddy
10-31-08, 09:26 PM
Yes, the filter bumped the ground. Some of our Alaskan driveways are gravel and develop holes right at the edge of the pavement on the street. There is gold in the gravel but they can still be bumpy. So, is there somewhere a parts breakdown posted so that I can see the parts you fellas are talking about before I do the teardown. Thanks

Ranger
10-31-08, 10:21 PM
I seem to recall seeing one. Do a search for oil filter adapter and you might find it.