: Towing a FWD N* vehicle on 4 wheels

Edahall
10-30-08, 06:22 PM
I'm going to be towing my 93 Allante across country in a few weeks most likely using a tow bar with 4 wheels on the ground. I've been thinking about how I can do it without destoying the transmission. I found a company called Remco which sells an Axle Lock which disengages one axle (right side). They are very expensive and I'm probably only going to tow my car once so I was thinking why not just remove one axle. I want to remove the left side axle. I've never removed the axle on this car but on my 88 Eldorado, it was not a difficult job with the correct tools. Any feedback and comments will be appreciated.
http://www.remcotowing.com/node/8

msta293412
10-31-08, 08:40 AM
Only feed back I have is DONT TOW IT ON 4 WHEELS, You will destroy the tranny. Try to flat bed it.

drewsdeville
10-31-08, 09:23 AM
REmoving the axle shouldn't be too bad...REmove wheel, axle nut, drop balljoint+control arm, swing hub out of the way and pull axle, granted it isn't one of those really stuck ones.

But I have to ask, why not rent a car dolly, run the front wheels on the dolly and bring 'er home?

Edahall
10-31-08, 10:53 AM
Only feed back I have is DONT TOW IT ON 4 WHEELS, You will destroy the tranny. Try to flat bed it.

How will it destroy the tranny if the axles are disconnected?

Edahall
10-31-08, 11:11 AM
But I have to ask, why not rent a car dolly, run the front wheels on the dolly and bring 'er home?

I have yet to find a company that will rent me a car dolly for a reasonable price. The reason they want so much is I'm traveling 1 way and won't be able to return the dolly where I picked it up. And another reason is I'm using my own vehicle to tow. For example, it's no problem if I rent a Ryder truck. But if someone knows where I can rent a dolly for a reasonable price, let me know. The cheapest quote I've got so far is $800.
I'll need it for 3 days
I'll be towing from Los Angeles, CA to Kansas City, MO
I'll tow with my own vehicle (Chevy Suburban)

Mark C
11-01-08, 08:31 AM
You can buy one cheaper than that. Sell it when your done.

hueterm
11-01-08, 11:30 PM
$800 is cheaper than the havoc that could be unleashed on an Allante.....

dkozloski
11-02-08, 12:16 AM
A car carrier will haul it for you for a hell of a lot less than that.

msta293412
11-02-08, 08:28 AM
All true....in response, I think all that work in disconnecting the axle assembly etc. is not worth it. Get the tow, and sell it when your done....

Edahall
11-04-08, 09:25 AM
All true....in response, I think all that work in disconnecting the axle assembly etc. is not worth it. Get the tow, and sell it when your done....

It looks like I only need to disconnect 1 axle. The last time I removed an axle, it took me around 2 hours.