: Clutch Issues II

nmaier2201
10-30-08, 12:30 PM
EEEk. I really hate to admit this, because my father is a smart guy, and a guy who knows motors fairly well.... but he is getting old... and he screwed me!

So my dad borrowed my car for the day (really I borrowed his truck for getting a motorcycle) He noticed the clutch was going in a little harder than he thought it should... so he popped open the hood and saw the clutch resevoir was empty... being the nice guy he was he grabbed a quart of dextron ATF and filled er up.

He told me later in the day when we swapped cars that he saw it was low and topped it off... I thought nothing of it. Then I looked at it a day or so later (to see if it was still leaking) and saw it was red in the resevoir.....hmmm interesting. So no leaking... just low (which is what I would expect from a wearing clutch) Then I called him up and asked him what he put in there! ATF EEEK
:thepan::thepan::thepan: :rant2:

Hydraulic clutches need brake fluid right? not ATF!

So he said he didn't put more than a 1/2 cup in there (the resevoir and 1/2 the length of tube to the trans)

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to flush this thing out/clean it out and then bleed it out (as I'm assuming that air in a hydro clutch is a bad idea)

Maybe I'll use the caddy faq and swap the trans fluid while I'm down there... I was thinking that was on the "to do" list anyways

rand49er
10-30-08, 12:37 PM
Turkey baster. Every mechanic should own one. :D

ROG
10-30-08, 12:50 PM
And make sure you use DOT 4 fluid to refill it!!

nmaier2201
10-31-08, 11:37 AM
now I need to get under the car and take a look at this, I am fairly sure that the fluid is still in the resevoir and 1/2 of the tube down to the trans. I'm thinking I'm going to suck as much as I can out of the top, remove that resevoir and clean it out, then detach that host and blow it out... where exactly do I use a turkey baster? where that hose connects into the trans to suck as much fluid as I can out? I would prefer to swap all of it out to make sure it didn't contaminate everything....

nmaier2201
10-31-08, 11:39 AM
Yeah I got a couple bottles of motul RBF 600 in the mail as of yesterday

PISNUOFF
10-31-08, 09:21 PM
Get under the car with a short 8mm wrench and some 3/16" ID rubber hose (you'll understand why I say a 'short' one when you get under there and look) and bleed the system with new fluid. You should use about 1/2 of a bottle of the Motul.

1. Suck out the resevoir.
2. Fill with Motul.
3. Open bleeder, assistant push pedal to floor, close bleeder, raise pedal to up position.
4. Repeat step 3 for 3 or 4 cycles and refill resevoir.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all traces of red are out.

or

Use a pressure bleeder for the brakes on the clutch resevoir. Fill the pressure bleeder and pressurize the system, then open the bleeder and let it flow.

nmaier2201
10-31-08, 10:10 PM
PISSNUOFF

You ain't piss'n me off at all. I went out and bought a vaccum pump tonight. I'm gonna clean out the resevoir, detach the hose and let it gravity drain out... suck as much fluid as I can out..... then I'll do exactly like you said. pressurise it and pull in the new fluid.

You know sometimes it takes a really smart person to point out the obvious to someone all stressed out.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Get under the car with a short 8mm wrench and some 3/16" ID rubber hose (you'll understand why I say a 'short' one when you get under there and look) and bleed the system with new fluid. You should use about 1/2 of a bottle of the Motul.

1. Suck out the resevoir.
2. Fill with Motul.
3. Open bleeder, assistant push pedal to floor, close bleeder, raise pedal to up position.
4. Repeat step 3 for 3 or 4 cycles and refill resevoir.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all traces of red are out.

or

Use a pressure bleeder for the brakes on the clutch resevoir. Fill the pressure bleeder and pressurize the system, then open the bleeder and let it flow.

nmaier2201
11-08-08, 03:18 PM
Ok I got the car up in the air, I just wanted to confirm that the clutch bleeder is a 8mm alan/hex nut just above the oil filter. Can someone verify that before I just pop it off?

What's the 3/16 ID hose for? do I attach it to a pipe or something when I take that nut all the way off so I don't splash fluid into the bell housing?

I can post a pic of the nut if it helps any...

nmaier2201
11-08-08, 05:03 PM
bump

PISNUOFF
11-08-08, 10:09 PM
Ok I got the car up in the air, I just wanted to confirm that the clutch bleeder is a 8mm alan/hex nut just above the oil filter. Can someone verify that before I just pop it off?

What's the 3/16 ID hose for? do I attach it to a pipe or something when I take that nut all the way off so I don't splash fluid into the bell housing?

I can post a pic of the nut if it helps any...

NO, that's not it. The bleeder is coming out of the driver's side of the bell housing. You will need a short 8mm wrench to get at it easier. The end is covered with a black rubber cover exactly like the brake caliper bleeders. You pop off the cover, put the wrench on the bleeder, attach the hose to the end of the bleeder so you don't shoot brake fluid everywhere(especially down you arm). Here is a picture of what it looks like outside of the car, sorry I don't have one of it on the car. The bleeder only sticks out of the bell housing about 1/2" and is kind of difficult to get to. That's why you need the short 8mm wrench to open and close it.

nmaier2201
11-08-08, 10:29 PM
PHEW! Thank goodness you posted that. Can I send you a gift card or something? You just saved me all sorts of headaches!

Thanks again.

nmaier2201
11-13-08, 06:21 PM
Even with that pic of the clutch out of the car I was able to find it real easy once I could visualize what I was looking for. Actually a piece of the heat shielding had come down to obscure it along with the rubber cap....that coupled with the fact I was looking at the engine side of the bell housing meant I was looking in the wrong direction.

The car is pry 3x easier to punch the clutch now which tells me the fluid was worn even before it got all messed up. My car only has 30k on it... so I would recommend this flush to anyone. I didn't really need the mityvac because gravity did most of the feeding... so I just ler er run and kept filling the resevoir.... worked like a champ.

The 3/16 ID tube didn't work so great as the bleeder was loose after 1/4 turn and all the fluid ran into the bell housing (and right out the bottom).... but whatcha gonna do!

Thanks again

PISNUOFF
11-13-08, 06:38 PM
If you had an assistant pump the pedal while you open/closed the bleeder the pressure would push the fluid past the threads inside the bell housing and go out the tube. Or you could have hooked the Mityvac to the tube at the bleeder end, created a vacuum and opened the bleeder, sucking the fluid through the tube. Either way, I'm glad it worked out for you and it does make a huge difference.