: Oldsmobile - I never knew...

BeelzeBob
06-13-03, 11:07 AM
The last Oldsmobile I owned was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme.. Even after that, during the 90's, I was in other Oldsmobiles and they didn't impress me.. I've only just recently begun looking into the mid to late 90's models and I see they were actually very impressive. The interiors were comfortable-looking - and of fairly high quality...

What happened? Too little, too late? I hope Buick can fill the shoes that Oldsmobile was wearing until recently... So far, I don't think they are...

PONCHO
06-13-03, 11:23 AM
I had a 1983 cutlass supreme brogham. It was a nice car. The olds division did not have the right advertising campains going and did not really have a target market for the line in it's late years. It is the only division im GM that couldnt really handle the loss of the rear wheel drive car platform.

Brett
06-13-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
The last Oldsmobile I owned was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme.. Even after that, during the 90's, I was in other Oldsmobiles and they didn't impress me.. I've only just recently begun looking into the mid to late 90's models and I see they were actually very impressive. The interiors were comfortable-looking - and of fairly high quality...

What happened? Too little, too late? I hope Buick can fill the shoes that Oldsmobile was wearing until recently... So far, I don't think they are...

My wifes Alero GLS is fully loaded, chrome wheels, sunroof, traction control etc. Has a pretty sporty V6, its faster than my SLS. And Final price was 18500, all that AND a factory bumper to bumper 5yr/60k warranty, which is the best in GM. we've had it in for 1 warranty repair in 2.5 years, which was a rear door latch that stuck. Probably the best value I ever got in a car.

shaggygrosser
06-13-03, 12:31 PM
My parents bought an Intrigue back in 2000, and it's been nothing but stellar. It's a shame to see the Olds name go.

Katshot
06-13-03, 12:38 PM
I agree that the Olds line seems to have gotten it "just right", just in time to be declared dead. Sounds about normal for GM :rolleyes:

shaggygrosser,
Change that avatar will you, it's weirding me out ;)

shaggygrosser
06-13-03, 01:39 PM
There ya go, new avatar is ready ;)

Katshot
06-13-03, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by shaggygrosser
There ya go, new avatar is ready ;)

Now THAT's just plain SCAREY!:shocked2:

shaggygrosser
06-13-03, 02:48 PM
ok, seriously, I finally found an avatar I like.

getting back on topic, has anyone seen the Final 500 Collector's Edition Oldsmobiles? Not too shabby.

Night Wolf
06-13-03, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I too like Oldsmobile...... my experience with them has been the Olds 307, which while nowhere near a performance engine, is very reliable and would just never die. The Quad4, which is one of the very few 4bangers I would ever consider owning (which is also the predisesor to the Auroa and N*) They made some nice cars etc...

.....I persoanlly don't like the Alero...looks are too plain, BUT I do like the Grand Am GT, same car, just looks differnt (GT is actually 5more hp and 5 ft. lbs. due to the ram-air)

GM is doing weird stuff, killing Oldsmobile, droping the Grand Am for the G6 concept (atleast keep the Grand Am name) bringing out things, trying new styles etc....

BeelzeBob
06-13-03, 02:53 PM
The Aurora is the one that really catches my eye. I've sat in an Alera and they're nice too. I trierd to convince my girlfriend to get one of those but it didn't work.. She wasn't too happy with the test-drive. Unfortunately, I think the car she drove needed a tune-up...

Night Wolf
06-13-03, 06:18 PM
The Alero/Grand Am uses the 3400 SFI V6, 170hp and 200ft lbs. of tourqe, add 5 to each of those figures for the GT version of the GA

AFAIK the Alero only comes with the 3400, the base engine on the GA SE is now the 2.2L Ecotec.... something like 150hp with 140ft . lbs. of tourqe, but there are, and soon to be many companys making crazy mods on the Ecotech, it is a strong engine, and should be able to get around 250-300hp with bolt-ons

I'd still take a Quad4 HO w/ 5spd in a '90-'91 Grand Am SE (my '91 was a LE, Quad4 LO with auto) Or the 2.4 TwinCam (newer gen of the Quad4, 10hp less, more quite and has a harmonic balencer so it runs more smooth etc...) they were used in the '96-'98 GAGT w/ 5speed and the '99 GA (new body style) had the 2.4 TwinCam w/ 5spd on the SE, the Ecotech later replaced the TwinCam.

I would like to, in the future, get a '96-'98 GAGT which has the 2.4 TwinCam w/ 5spd just for the hell of it, maybe use it in the winter so I wouldn't have to use the Caddy or soemthing.

Sorry for all the talk on the GA..... kinda get carried away as I go to a Grand Am forum :D

Allante North *
06-13-03, 07:03 PM
I've always been a Olds fan and even owned a 1969 442 in my youth. What I would give to have it back, but they sell for some big bucks now. My cousins wife has an Aurora, and thats a sweet ride. Shame on GM for killing off the Olds, and they keep the Buick. Buick is an Indian word that translates to "Blue Hair" for all the old ladies that drive them.

Long Live Cadillac

Night Wolf
06-13-03, 07:25 PM
mmmmmm '69 442

that and a '69 Camero SS, '66 GTO and '70 Chevell SS are among my favorites of the classics

Then for normal crusing, and my all time favorite car, a '59 Eldorado rag top :cool:

Katshot
06-13-03, 07:54 PM
'70 all around on the GM stuff except the GTO and Camaro. That would be a '69 Judge and Z28 for me. The others are definately '70 though.

Night Wolf
06-13-03, 08:04 PM
This is what I have been wanting to do....

in some years from now, I want to find a late 70's DeVIlle with the 500, I would build it up like crazy, but keep it lloking stock (new, up to date paint job though), it is RWD and body-on-frame, plus it's a huge boat, and people would think it's slow. pull off all the smog crap etc... and just go crazy with it, it would only be a car to race with and not really a daily driver, but that would just be real cool.

03EscaladeAWD
06-13-03, 10:30 PM
Then for normal crusing, and my all time favorite car, a '59 Eldorado rag top :cool: [/B] That would have to be the greatest Cadillac ever produced. The fins. :shocked:

elwesso
06-13-03, 11:05 PM
mmm, fins!

Olds were great cars...... We owned a bravada (like 93) for 5 years and like 30k miles, didnt have a problem with it, except a bad battery, and that was a common problem for them...

I have like the auroras also......

My grandparents had an alero, and it was a solid car..... I thought it felt really sporty.......

03EscaladeAWD
06-13-03, 11:17 PM
a 170 hp V6 pullin more than 3500 lbs sporty? so how come a 220 hp V6 pullin 3600 lbs isn't? (CTS)

elwesso
06-13-03, 11:53 PM
I never said it WAS sporty, just the way the steering felt and the way you sat in the car! Basically, I wasnt referring to anything related to the powertrain!

Night Wolf
06-14-03, 12:37 AM
the Alero weighs 3200lbs....atleast that's how much a GAGT weighs and they are the same car.

Isn't the Bravada a Blazer?

'59 mint Eldorado= my all time dream car. (well, without going crazy)

Ralph
06-14-03, 02:05 AM
My stepdad owned the nicest car I've ever seen, a 1971 442 w-30! Red with white interior, he sold it in 1977 to a friend who started a Chev/Olds dealership, and for a while it was roped off inside it! To this day it still has only 12,000 original miles (my stepdad just never drives all his cars much) It has been in many car shows and still wears the original Firestone wide Ovals.

I am holding the option sheet in my hand right now, and I can go into details, eg. built in Lansing Michigan (he special ordered it), total cost=$6,241.15. He explained to me that the only car more expensive for musclecars, was the Corvette. (don't know this myself) Here's some options it has:

Destination charge=$173.00

turbohydramatic 400=$283.80

power-sterring vari-ratio=$131.85

air-conditioner 4 season=$464.15

windshield-softray tinted=$34.85!

wheels, superstock 3=$83.90

steering wheel, custom-sport=$35.95

trunklid hatch-power=$17.40

RocketRallye Pac=$95.00

W-machine package=$396.40, which included: sports styled outside outside mirrors, wide oval tires, raised white letter, fiberglass hood dual intake, forced air, special body paint side stripe and hood paint scheme,etc, etc. I can go on and on.

Oh, yeah, the color is called Matador Red. Ten years after my stepdad sold it, I ran into the owner at a local car dealer in 1987, I took pics and cried a lot later that evening, and proceeded to give my stepdad the lecture of his lifetime about raising musclecar prices. (which peaked in 1988) Needless to say I wish he kept it, he said he would have but he had no place to put it 'cause he had other cars!! The current owner also told me something else very interesting, apparently while it was at a car show, one of Reggie Jackson's "car finding scouts" wanted to buy it, but he would not sell it! If you do not believe me I can give the current owners name off board. Anyway that's MY Olds that got away!!

shaggygrosser
06-14-03, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Panther

I would like to, in the future, get a '96-'98 GAGT which has the 2.4 TwinCam w/ 5spd just for the hell of it, maybe use it in the winter so I wouldn't have to use the Caddy or soemthing.

Sorry for all the talk on the GA..... kinda get carried away as I go to a Grand Am forum :D

The car I drove before I bought my CTS was a '96 Grand Am with the 2.4 TwinCam & 5 speed manual. I wish I could have kept it for what you described... just goofing off in cr@ppy weather.

the Sandman
06-14-03, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Brett
My wifes Alero GLS is fully loaded, chrome wheels, sunroof, traction control etc. Has a pretty sporty V6, its faster than my SLS. And Final price was 18500, all that AND a factory bumper to bumper 5yr/60k warranty, which is the best in GM. we've had it in for 1 warranty repair in 2.5 years, which was a rear door latch that stuck. Probably the best value I ever got in a car. I've never owned an Alero, but I have driven *lots* of midsize rental cars (close to a hundred I'd guess). The Alero is my favorite in this category, good power with the V6 (the 4 cyl has some power too but sounds like a blender on high speed when it revs :D), and the handling is pretty tight too.

03EscaladeAWD
06-14-03, 09:32 PM
Is the Alero V6 more sporty than the Aurora with the Northstar?

the Sandman
06-14-03, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Is the Alero V6 more sporty than the Aurora with the Northstar? Yes!

Brett
06-14-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Is the Alero V6 more sporty than the Aurora with the Northstar?

Definitely, when I drive my wifes Alero, its like driving a go-cart compared to my car. Very tight. Very Fun.

03EscaladeAWD
06-15-03, 01:55 PM
wow- I never knew. Well Ralph, your dad has the nicest car you've ever seen. My dad has the ugliest car you've ever seen. He had a late 70s Oldsmobile Delta 88. The roof leaked, well, it was kinda a roof, the brakes didn't work, it smelled inside, and scratches, rust, just the worse you could imagine. A 1940 Packard had better pollution control. I like that the Alero is more zippy than an Aurora. The best part is its cheaper. Maybe we could consider owning one instead of a high mileage Cadillac...

Elvis
06-15-03, 06:34 PM
My family had an extensive Oldsmobile history. Just off-hand, I can recall several of them:

1969 Cutlass
1972 Delta 88
1973 Cutlass Supreme
1975 '98 Regency
1976 '98 Regency
1978 Omega
1986 '98 Regency

On my own, I had a 1981 Cutlass and a 1985 Delta 88.

Every one of the cars above were outstanding vehicles, EXCEPT for the Omega.

2dfx
06-15-03, 10:54 PM
We used to own an 84 Cuts Supreme - great car, the 3.8 never quit. Finally ditched it in 1995 after cracked brakes, leaking fuel line, and other misc problems deemed it not worth to fix, we replaced it with a 1991 Park Ave, also with a 3.8. Yet another solid car!

Ralph
06-15-03, 11:37 PM
The only thing that I fear on the new Alero is the 1 star side-impact rating. Did you know about this Brett?!

Those Delta 88's were not bad looking. My stepdad also had a beautiful 1979 Olds 98 Regency in two-tone burgendy red, and I believe that was the last year for the Olds 403, which was the 6.6l on the Trans Am that year also. THAT was a smooth car, dare I even say a little smoother than my '91 Fleetwood! PS, on that Regency, he had it 12 years prior to buying the '91 Fleet I drive now, and he only racked up 23,000 kms!!! on it. He sold it for 6500, and I wish I bought it then! The only thing he had to do was re-charge the AC which only cost 26 dollars. You'll never meet anyone that keeps their vehicles more immaculate and cared for that my stepdad.

Night Wolf
06-16-03, 12:22 AM
If it came between the Alero or a Grand Am, the Grand Am is better..... alot better looking (especally the GT) alittle more power, and I like the interrior better......

I felt bad, on Monster Garage when they built the rock crawler Bronco ( the guys at pirate4x4.com are sooo pissed at them for various reasons) well, they got a '79 Delta 88, seemed like a nice one, JJ did a burnout and tore the hell out of it for a bit, then parked it, raced it until it blew up (the radaitor literally blew up, whole thing cought fire)....one funny thing was, a cop was in his car there, and the cop called JJ over, he's like, are you guys ok? (mean while, the whole engine bayt on the car was on fire and the guys are just standing there watching it) so JJ is like, oh yeah, were fine, just overheated alittle, blew the radaitor.

that part with the cop was funny, but I like the '79 Delta 88's and they took a nice once and ruined it.... I mean we are talking real, American, body-on-frame V8 RWD here, why couldn't they have gotton some kind of Honda Civic pos, then it would be funny.

it's getting late now, i gotta get to sleep.

AirJigga25
06-16-03, 04:55 PM
I almost bought the Aurora a while back... I really liked the lux features on the 2001.

I think the Alero might have the same engine as the v6 version of the aurora.

Anyway, my dad houses my old 88 Olds Cutt supreme 2 dr. which i don't drive anymore.
When It's parked next to my seville the side profile looks eerily similar to my 97 seville.

I love the Olds Cutt Supreme -- A great car that is kinda like driving a go cart. It wasn't too luxurious but really fun to drive.

Brett
06-16-03, 06:05 PM
I didnt know about the crash rating, but I also dont use it as a factor when I shop. Over the years Ive seen the same car get different ratings on the same test. so i dont rely on it very much.

As far as looks I think the Alero is a ton better looking than the Grand Am, but looks are subjective, so to each their own. Thats why GM has more than just Chevy

catbert
06-22-03, 12:51 PM
My wife's 98 Intrigue GS is right at 100k, and hasn't been to the dealer since delivery. I change the oil every 4,000k miles, replace the belts and hoses. Other than that it's had three brake jobs and a new set of struts. It still looks and performs like new.

I though Olds had a decent likeup with the Intrigue and Aurora - 6 and 8 cylinder. Buick, on the other hand, is pure fogey. :eyebrow:

elwesso
06-22-03, 11:36 PM
If buick would just put a nav system and a RWD V8 in the park avenue.... theyd be golden!!

Ralph
06-23-03, 01:23 AM
If buick would just put a nav system and a RWD V8 in the park avenue.... theyd be golden!!

In case you haven't heard, nav systems are unsafe, and governments are being forced slowly to do something about them, cause the manufacturers won't. But then again so are cell phones while driving, supposedly. :shhh:

elwesso
06-24-03, 12:01 AM
The cheap ones are unsafe..... in a BMW i rode in, you set the place where you want to go BEFORE you leave, and it comes over the speakers and tells you where to go......

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 07:52 AM
In case you haven't heard, nav systems are unsafe, and governments are being forced slowly to do something about them, cause the manufacturers won't. But then again so are cell phones while driving, supposedly. :shhh:

So is reading a map. ;)

Ralph
06-25-03, 05:34 AM
So is putting on makeup, reading, it's not the place to do it.

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:18 AM
So is putting on makeup, reading, it's not the place to do it.

I can eat a taco and drive with my legs!

BeelzeBob
06-25-03, 08:24 AM
So will Buick become the new Oldsmobile?

mnymaker
06-25-03, 10:18 AM
So will Buick become the new Oldsmobile?

You bet... I was at my local Caddy dealer yesterday and it is also the Buick and Pontiac Dealer. I was waiting on my car and walking around the lot just looking. Well I decided to walk over to the Buick section for some strange reason. Probably because I was standing there thinking to myself who the hell is doing the exterior design on these things and who are they actually trying to sell them too.

Anywho... Went over to look at the Park Avenue in comparsion to the new Deville I had just looked at. They wanted like $48-50 for the Deville but I was shocked to see that they want $43,000 :bulging: for a freaking park avenue. WTF. Pardon me, its a nice riding car I'm sure but it's still a non stylish freakin Park Avenue. I know it there flagship but if GM wants to make you spend almost $45,000 they should make you buy a Caddy not try to soup up ever car line they got, because in my opinion it lessens the impact of the Cadilaac line.

Oh well....

Night Wolf
03-26-04, 10:20 PM
you know, I can now say from owning an Oldsmobile... they are sweet cars...

... I am gonna do a review on the car soon, but this is my $500 winter car... a 1989 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight Royale..... has the 3800 V6, the car is amaizng, comfortable, great ride etc.... but most of all, even for sitting for 2 years and stuff, it has been extrmely reliable.... Sure at first things kept going wrong (becuase of it sitting for so long) but it has turned out to be a sweet car....

More info in the future...

... I will treuly be sad to see the Oldsmobile name go....

Vesicant
03-26-04, 11:25 PM
Must I bring up the Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo that lost out just like the company's about to? I explained it once... cant find the post anymore so whatever.

Aurora40
03-28-04, 09:32 AM
Did anyone watch the Barrett-Jackson auction from Florida this year? GM sold its two 2000 Indy Pace Car Aurora's. They went for like $20,000 each. For a nice, probably loaded Aurora with likely under 1,000 miles, that's pretty sweet. Add in that it paced the Indy 500, and that's a total steal. I almost wish I'd known they'd go that cheap and I'd replace my wife's 97 GS with one (well, she probably wouldn't want to drive a car that looked like that, so we'd trade). I was amazed at how little they brought in.

For the price, I really like Aleros. They are cheap and attractive, fairly roomy, and well put together. They are nice cars. I'd really kind of like to get an Ecotec 5-speed one and slap on a GM Performance Parts blower and cruise around in that thing as a daily driver... But of course that is not likely (I'd sooner buy a 1990 ZR-1 and make the Regal my daily driver).

Jesda
03-29-04, 03:56 AM
Oldsmobile and Buick kept selling those damned A-bodys until 1996.

Playdrv4me
03-29-04, 11:10 AM
Im sorry guys but while I usually agree with you, that 70s and 80s Delta 88 (the one that Jesse James destroyed) must be one of my ALL time most hated cars. I tell you what, when I think of junkyard cars and cars that are sitting in metal heaps in Detroits seedy corners, I think of hobos living inside the emptied out shells of a Delta 88. There was no style to that car WHATSOEVER. My friends mom had one and while it rode nice, it sure was a behemoth. Coming in a close second is the Cutlass Ciera catastrophe, and then the square bodied Crown Vic (but I love the square bodied Town Car).

1toycad
03-29-04, 12:44 PM
You bet... I was at my local Caddy dealer yesterday and it is also the Buick and Pontiac Dealer. I was waiting on my car and walking around the lot just looking. Well I decided to walk over to the Buick section for some strange reason. Probably because I was standing there thinking to myself who the hell is doing the exterior design on these things and who are they actually trying to sell them too.

Anywho... Went over to look at the Park Avenue in comparsion to the new Deville I had just looked at. They wanted like $48-50 for the Deville but I was shocked to see that they want $43,000 :bulging: for a freaking park avenue. WTF. Pardon me, its a nice riding car I'm sure but it's still a non stylish freakin Park Avenue. I know it there flagship but if GM wants to make you spend almost $45,000 they should make you buy a Caddy not try to soup up ever car line they got, because in my opinion it lessens the impact of the Cadilaac line.

Oh well....
What he said...

Ditto

Playdrv4me
03-29-04, 02:36 PM
The Buick Rainier is way in the stratosphere too, but it honestly is the nicest looking of all the Trailblazer based trucks out there right now. Good and quiet interior too.

Night Wolf
03-29-04, 04:39 PM
Im sorry guys but while I usually agree with you, that 70s and 80s Delta 88 (the one that Jesse James destroyed) must be one of my ALL time most hated cars. I tell you what, when I think of junkyard cars and cars that are sitting in metal heaps in Detroits seedy corners, I think of hobos living inside the emptied out shells of a Delta 88. There was no style to that car WHATSOEVER. My friends mom had one and while it rode nice, it sure was a behemoth. Coming in a close second is the Cutlass Ciera catastrophe, and then the square bodied Crown Vic (but I love the square bodied Town Car).

Really? I like the '80's Delta 88 (tlaking about the RWD ones here) the front end is really nice... just MO though.... my Eighty Eight is the smaller FWD version....

The Delta rode the same chassis as the Caprice etc... the Delta had the 307, while slow, the cars lasted forever..... my moms bf Fp(of 15 years now) had an '84 Delta, had 220k miles on the origanal enigne etc... used to tow a small utility trailer with it too...only reason why he sold it was becuase it was starting to rust, he now has a '87 Brougham and uses it for the same purpose (DD + towing trialer) that has 176k miles on origanal engine (tranny was rebuilt)

For pics of my Olds, check out page 5:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/367639/5

Vesicant
03-29-04, 05:57 PM
http://www.msnusers.com/OldsmobileToronadoTrofeoCouldhavemadehistory [Technically its not a history maker]

Yes, its to another site... the name was quite cheezy and its been a while since ive done anything on it but it recognizes the car that I use to have and love. Before the Cadillac.

This and the Aurora are Oldsmobiles try's at making them more performance/sport luxury orientated. But the Trofeo (the newer one) failed more than the Aurora... and I guess the Aurora did ok? It was kinda like the pre-cursor to the Aurora too... it came out not too long after the Trofeo's production run stopped in 92'..then in 95 the Aurora came out...3 year gap isnt that bad, right?

(I must note, that it was dually based on the ElDorado of the time...)

Playdrv4me
03-30-04, 05:51 PM
http://www.msnusers.com/OldsmobileToronadoTrofeoCouldhavemadehistory [Technically its not a history maker]

Yes, its to another site... the name was quite cheezy and its been a while since ive done anything on it but it recognizes the car that I use to have and love. Before the Cadillac.

This and the Aurora are Oldsmobiles try's at making them more performance/sport luxury orientated. But the Trofeo (the newer one) failed more than the Aurora... and I guess the Aurora did ok? It was kinda like the pre-cursor to the Aurora too... it came out not too long after the Trofeo's production run stopped in 92'..then in 95 the Aurora came out...3 year gap isnt that bad, right?

(I must note, that it was dually based on the ElDorado of the time...)

Many comparisons were made between the Aurora and the Trofeo, in fact when the Aurora came out many basically called it "The Toronado that got it right", but not in my book. Dont get me wrong I love the Auroras, but Ive been researching the Toronado Trofeo recently and that car had some major technological advancements for its time, like the Vehicle Information Center monitor display in the dashboard, and all the techno gadgets of the day. Really a great great car and theres still a few around in good condition cheep.

Nightwolf... Its certainly nothing personal against the old 88, and now that you mention the Caprice, the square bodied Caprice was one of my favorites, but I just never could get used to that Delta, especially that odd tail shape that just seemed to go no where, the Caprice was nice and square in the back.

Vesicant
03-30-04, 07:13 PM
My all-time favorite things about the trofeo, were its unique looks... itallian almost. Its great suspension w/ rear air ride, smooth power, and the interior, standard leather and 8 way power seats! Also, not to mention the VIC; that was fricken trick... for how advanced the car was then and that technology already there.

inmycadillac
03-30-04, 11:11 PM
olds are solid cars, what's GMs problem?