: Any negative side to Lowering?

g9s8r
10-29-08, 05:53 PM
I was in the middle of lowering my Ext when I stopped and put it all back together. Before I cut the threads off of the ball joint, I wanted to weigh the options of lowering or keeping it stock.

Does anyone want to weigh in on what would be the pros and cons?

Thanks.

luxurylife33
10-29-08, 07:43 PM
Pros:

Lower center of gravity, great for faster turns
Looks a lot better

Cons:

Ball Joints need to be cut
Camber, caster and toe will be out of whack, so you got to get an alignment after your done (i do not believe camber is adjustable without a camber kit)

BDuncan
10-29-08, 08:28 PM
Before I weigh in - I am not against lowered vehicles. I own a mint Chev pickup lowered 5/7 but I've only put about 44K miles on it since I ordered it new over 12 years ago.
The mechanical changes and modification to lower our Escalades are obvious. Just think about what you want out of yours. No matter what anyone tells you, it will NOT ride as well as far as comfort. Yes, it may corner a little harder (like that's what we use Escalades for), but you cannot remove suspension travel and expect not to give up some comfort and tire wear. With all wheel drive, it is probably nearly impossible to get correct wheel alignment - you can probably get close but tire wear and ride will be affected. If having a lowered Escalade is all you ever wanted then have at it. Just remember, if you ever plan to sell it, the vast majority of buyers wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to restor it to stock. If you were shopping for a pre-owned Escalade and two clean ones were sitting there with about the same mileage, one stock and one with the suspension hacked up by someone, which one would you buy?

procom
10-30-08, 01:37 AM
My 04 ext is lowered 2/3 spindle drop. only had to cut the upper ball joints and left the lowers. if you have 17 or larger wheels lower ball joint can be long. after i had it lowered i went to get and alignment the only thing off was my toe in/out. camber stayed the same because a front spindle drop. my ride felt the same as factory height. love the look and rides smooth.:)

hcvone
10-30-08, 08:46 AM
Negatives it wears the front end parts out faster, your ride is more harsh, usually wear tires out faster, but it does look good for sure.

g9s8r
10-30-08, 12:39 PM
Thank you everyone.

Well, I was under the assumption that using drop spindles, I stay with the same geometry. By doing so, it should ride, handle and wear the same as factory. Is this incorrect? If not, I would be interested in why and how.

The major concern if I lower it, for myself of course, is will I ever run into clearance issues? Its only a 2/4 drop. I don't travel on the beaten path. Maybe when I visit friends that like the country. Also, about clearance issues, when I tow, will I have a problem in and out of deep angles? (considering its only a 2/4 drop).

The other concern is if I do sell, I don't think that after I cut the threads on the ball joint, it will fit back in the factory spindle. Anyone have any experience on that one? If it does not, how much does it usually cost to replace ball joints for the Ext?

Thanks again.

fierodough
10-30-08, 12:59 PM
What about the driveshaft angle and added strees on the u-joints?

procom
10-30-08, 02:07 PM
The geometry stays the same front axle is more straight.You are moving the axle and not unloading the torsion bars or moving the A arms. rides the same and wears the same like factory.
I have a 2/3 drop with 24 rims 295/30/R30 toyo tires. Not a single rub. the rear has lots of room you could go 5 inches and still be ok. If you go with larger rims you only have to cut the upper ball joints 1/2 of threads at most. you could bolt them back on just looks short but strong enough to drive safely. cost of all 4 new ball joints are under $50 bucks on E-bay shipped.
If you decide to change the joints you will need to rent a ball joint press from a auto parts store. (most are free to rent like autozone). The rear angle of the axle is more straight to the trans due to being lowered no geometry problems or u-joint stress.
I tow a 21ft boat and have zero problems the rear air levels it out and have never scrape at the boat ramp or speed bumps. really the only issue is watching out for the really tall parking bump stops.

g9s8r
10-31-08, 12:16 PM
Thank you Procom.
I have already taken one side apart and have an idea of how much to cut. Didn't realize it was going to be such a pain with the upper ball joint. (I have 22's on it now so bottom is ok). So, I put the factory spindle back on and have been weighing the decision on whether or not I really want to cut the threads on the ball joint. I think you just helped me off the fence.

procom
10-31-08, 10:40 PM
FYI--You must use the supplied nut for the upper ball joint. What I did was torqued it down to the spindle and used a saws all. otherwise it starts to spin and you can't torque it. Use lock tight for the upper ball joint and the all thread bolt. the rear bump stop needs cut to. Good Luck. If You need pics let me know.

g9s8r
11-01-08, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure what I wanted to use to cut it. I was either going to use a grinder, sawsall or get a cutting tool for my compressor. I do know that when I was trying to tighten the bolt, it sunk into the spindle which wouldn't allow me to tighten it. Had to switch to a socket wrench, which made it just spin. Apparently, I was told to use a crowbar or something to leverage down the upper a-arm so that I can seat the ball joint in the spindle so I can tighten it. It was a pain the arse so thats why I hesitated in continuing. I will definitely get back to you if I end up with the truck on permanent jackstands. HAHA.

SUX2BU
11-02-08, 11:49 PM
Before I weigh in - I am not against lowered vehicles. I own a mint Chev pickup lowered 5/7 but I've only put about 44K miles on it since I ordered it new over 12 years ago.
The mechanical changes and modification to lower our Escalades are obvious. Just think about what you want out of yours. No matter what anyone tells you, it will NOT ride as well as far as comfort. Yes, it may corner a little harder (like that's what we use Escalades for), but you cannot remove suspension travel and expect not to give up some comfort and tire wear. With all wheel drive, it is probably nearly impossible to get correct wheel alignment - you can probably get close but tire wear and ride will be affected. If having a lowered Escalade is all you ever wanted then have at it. Just remember, if you ever plan to sell it, the vast majority of buyers wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to restor it to stock. If you were shopping for a pre-owned Escalade and two clean ones were sitting there with about the same mileage, one stock and one with the suspension hacked up by someone, which one would you buy?

If you use a quality spindle lowering kit you won't have any problems. My alignment if perfect after lowering. I buy my vehicles for my own personal pleasure. If your worried about resale value then just keep the stock parts.