: NADA estimates 700 dealers will close in 2008

Blackout
10-29-08, 08:51 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/29/nada-estimates-700-dealers-will-close-in-2008/

Sandy
10-29-08, 09:33 AM
BAD ALL THE WAY AROUND

1. Privately owned stores, owned by 1st, 2nd, 3rd generations of private families will will lose their business.

2. The underworld dealerships owned by those that theymake movies about that are mainly used for washing money, will continue to thrive, and hire & fire around 300 persons a year.

3. Bad for consumer. Longer distances between dealers, less opportunity to "Shop"

4. Good for salesmen, as less shopping sometimes means higher commissions.

5. Great for Wall-Mart as the bigger dealerships make good converted Wall Marts

6. Baad for unemployment lines....much longer

In the county I live in - in the past WEEKS, a Chrysler-Jeep dealership of 55+ years, closed this week. Privately owned - same family for 55 years.

A Ford Dealer of just 74 years, with a nice facility and one that treated customers like saints closed 2 weeks ago. The OTHER Ford dealer that is a legalized whore house bait & switch slaughter house with pisspoor service is thriving as sukkers really believe they can buy for less than the dealer pays B.S.

A Dodge Dealer is on a slippery sloap and is pleading for mercy.

A Buick dealer sold building/property to a chain discount store

A Pontiac store sold his property to the town it was in, to make a big parking lot for the RR.

We are left with a BMW store, that rumor has it is 4-sale and a Subaru-Nissan-Infiniti store.

How do ya spell recession ??

The Tony Show
10-29-08, 11:09 AM
I see today's visit from the depressing news express has arrived. :bigroll:

Blackout
10-29-08, 12:01 PM
I see today's visit from the depressing news express has arrived. :bigroll:

Oh because there's oh so much good news going around the automotive industry right now. Sales are booming! GM car lots are sold out of everything! GM is making record profits! If you have nothing positive to bring to the thread then move along because the only thing you did with that post is boost your post count total

Cadillac Tony
10-29-08, 12:05 PM
I suspect a large majority of the Dealers that will go out of business are the ones that either grew too fast or rely mostly on customers that need high risk loans. We're certainly not setting the world on fire lately, but things aren't as horrible as everyone makes them out to be for all of us.

I'm just sayin....

Sandy
10-29-08, 08:16 PM
Like I said, 1 dealer 55 years & 1 74 years - both at the same location all those years.

The smaller stores with lower overhead are closing.
the big whop tee do highway monesters with 300 in stock
and 1/4 mile frontage on the interstate are staying. :confused:

MauiV
10-31-08, 01:14 PM
Like I said, 1 dealer 55 years & 1 74 years - both at the same location all those years.

The smaller stores with lower overhead are closing.
the big whop tee do highway monesters with 300 in stock
and 1/4 mile frontage on the interstate are staying. :confused:

Really?

Is that why Bill Heard closed the largest Chevy dealership in the world? They had a shitload more than 300 cars is stock and a TON of interstate frontage.

Personally I like buying from a large dealer because the chance of having the car I want sitting on the lot are much higher. I have found the service deptartments good and bad at both large and small dealers. I stick with who actually fixes my car and honors my warrenty and who gives me the best loaner vehicle if my car has to stay overnight or for a few days.