: What type of Power Steering fluid to use in 93 N* Eldo ?

peteski
06-21-04, 01:34 AM
I have searched this forum and its either said to use the specific Power Steering fluid, of ATF.
No big help...

The FSM and owner's manual state to use special GM Fluid (gives a part number).

The fluid currently in the car looks red (just like ATF). I also have some generic Power Steering fluid which is yellowish in color.

Before I go to a GM parts counter and they laugh at me for ordering special GM which costs two arms and a foot, I would like to know:
1. Can I mix the current red and yellow fluids ? Somehow, that doesn't seem right.
2. Is my red fluid the special GM stuff, ot is it really just ATF ?

I don't have a leak - just would like to top it off. It probably needs less than few ounces.
Yes, I know - I'm probably being too anal about all of this...

Thanks,
Peteski

eldorado1
06-21-04, 11:47 AM
That's a dang good question... When I was tearing apart my eldorado, I was wondering why the PS fluid was red!

cadillacstars
06-22-04, 01:46 AM
power steering fluid is power steering fluid. fords run atf in their p/s systems from the factory. and may exhibit problems if it it is not replaced with atf. GM cars run regular power steering fluid, atf will work flawlessly in a pinch, run regular p/s fluid, but remember it is low for a reason it did not just dissappear.

peteski
06-22-04, 10:00 PM
But that still doesn't answer my question.

The PS fluid in my car is red ! I have never seen Power Steering fluid which was red. Most are yellowish in color.

So, what is in my car ? I'm leery of adding the yellow stuff to the red stuff. I usually think they color code fluids for a reason (like not mixing them). :)
Car is over 10 years old and it probably never had that fluid changed. It might have been
little low since it was new. I was just trying to top it off. It hasn't lost any fluid since
I owned it (for a year and a half).

Peteski

kcnewell
06-22-04, 11:36 PM
But that still doesn't answer my question.

The PS fluid in my car is red ! I have never seen Power Steering fluid which was red. Most are yellowish in color.

So, what is in my car ? I'm leery of adding the yellow stuff to the red stuff. I usually think they color code fluids for a reason (like not mixing them). :)
Car is over 10 years old and it probably never had that fluid changed. It might have been
little low since it was new. I was just trying to top it off. It hasn't lost any fluid since
I owned it (for a year and a half).

Peteski

I bet what is in it is automatic transmission fluid. That is the common item used for filling or topping off the power steering systems in the field.

You can get the specific power steering fluid at most any autoparts or discount store.

peteski
06-24-04, 03:28 AM
So, I should just add more ATF instead of adding the "real" Power Steering fluid (which I have for my other cars) ? Or, can they be intermixed ?

Peteski :bonkers:

kcnewell
06-25-04, 01:19 PM
k
So, I should just add more ATF instead of adding the "real" Power Steering fluid (which I have for my other cars) ? Or, can they be intermixed ?

Peteski :bonkers:

I would just add some "real" power steering fluid.

peteski
06-29-04, 03:11 AM
Thanks for your sugestions KC!