: where to buy tires

your maker
10-29-08, 03:44 AM
Yokahama AVID s4

Avon Tech M550

ok guys i need to know were to everyone shops for tires other then bell tire of discount tire. After a lot of reading and searching these two are my final choices.

thanks

Naf
10-29-08, 05:37 AM
Hmm, i am overseas and i know where to get these from...

Hell i am about to score Toyo R888 and RA-1...

thebigjimsho
10-29-08, 07:32 AM
Damon @ The Tire Rack.

May not always be the absolute cheapest, but they're always close and their shipping is fast and customer service is always first rate...

rand49er
10-29-08, 07:38 AM
I ordered a set for my DD the other day from tirerack.com. Still amazes me that you can order tires one day on the internet, and there they are on your doorstep the next day in 24 hours or less.

tedcmiller
10-29-08, 07:40 AM
thebigjimsho is correct. Tire Rack is probably the best bet for overall satisfaction. I have used them several times with complete satisfaction.

One thing - if you buy on-line, don't specify what type of car you intend to install the tires on. If your intended vehicle does not match the list of vehicles on which the tire you are ordering has been tested by the manufacturer, they will not honor the order. If you do not specify a vehicle type, there are no questions. Tire Rack does this to make the tire manufacturers happy, but, as you can see, it is easily avoided.

LUVMY04V
10-29-08, 08:38 AM
I dont Think I want to meet you just yet :histeric:

rand49er
10-29-08, 08:43 AM
thebigjimsho is correct. Tire Rack is probably the best bet for overall satisfaction. I have used them several times with complete satisfaction.

One thing - if you buy on-line, don't specify what type of car you intend to install the tires on. If your intended vehicle does not match the list of vehicles on which the tire you are ordering has been tested by the manufacturer, they will not honor the order. If you do not specify a vehicle type, there are no questions. Tire Rack does this to make the tire manufacturers happy, but, as you can see, it is easily avoided.Ted, I had some aftermarket wheels for my DD, and the tires I ordered didn't match what their records showed for my car as a result. They called me within the hour, I explained the situation, and there was no problem at all ... got 'em the next day.

I took it as good customer service so someone doesn't order the wrong tires.

YoshiV
10-29-08, 09:47 AM
Tire Rack! Don't get the Avon's...I've actually seen those come apart in chunks after heavy use!!

smoothq
10-29-08, 10:12 AM
Well try Treadepot.com Free shipping and great prices. Actually some of the best prices and great customer service. I have bought four sets of tires from there for my V and mustang, some of my friends have bought there also and no problems.

trukk
10-29-08, 10:32 AM
For brands that Tire Rack doesn't carry, check out Edge Racing.

www.edgeracing.com (http://www.edgeracing.com).

That is where I get my Falkens.

-Chris

rand49er
10-29-08, 10:55 AM

-ChrisThat's good to know. Thanks, Chris!

c4ss
10-29-08, 12:59 PM
I don't know where you're located but I got my Goodyear F1's from a guy down in Newark, NJ. Brand new for 100 bucks a tire. I think they fell off the back of a truck or something :canttalk:...little sketchy but I've had them for a few months and so far so good! Got an authentic Strahan Giants jersey for 50 bucks too from the same guy. In north New Jersey I swear you can get just about anything for a lot less in Newark...just don't ask any questions :tisk:

tedcmiller
10-29-08, 02:41 PM
rand49er,
The same thing happened to me - that is, a phone call form Tire Rack almost immediately after placing the order. However, they would not accept any kind of "over the phone explanation." So, a few minutes after the phone call, I reordered and did not specify the vehicle. No problems after that.

rand49er
10-29-08, 03:45 PM
rand49er,
The same thing happened to me - that is, a phone call form Tire Rack almost immediately after placing the order. However, they would not accept any kind of "over the phone explanation." So, a few minutes after the phone call, I reordered and did not specify the vehicle. No problems after that.That's interesting. The guy I talked to did a quick calculation, and then he said the tire would be 0.4" higher and we talked a bit more about how I had a bunch of clearance already and this wouldn't matter, blah, blah, and he let the order go.

What you theorize about the manufacturers being worried is probably right.

atdeneve
10-29-08, 04:30 PM
I don't know where you're located but I got my Goodyear F1's from a guy down in Newark, NJ. Brand new for 100 bucks a tire. I think they fell off the back of a truck or something :canttalk:...little sketchy but I've had them for a few months and so far so good! Got an authentic Strahan Giants jersey for 50 bucks too from the same guy. In north New Jersey I swear you can get just about anything for a lot less in Newark...just don't ask any questions :tisk:

For Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs (or just F1s)? If they're the Supercar EMTs, hook me up! I'll go down to Newark and pick up a truckload!

mbiker97
10-29-08, 04:49 PM
I always go to discount tire. They will match prices most of the time too.

ba83
10-29-08, 06:54 PM
I have previously bought tires from discount tires and they have the best prices if you find the tire you want. Again I would buying from them again when my run flats are worn out

AAIIIC
10-29-08, 07:03 PM
One thing - if you buy on-line, don't specify what type of car you intend to install the tires on. If your intended vehicle does not match the list of vehicles on which the tire you are ordering has been tested by the manufacturer, they will not honor the order. If you do not specify a vehicle type, there are no questions. Tire Rack does this to make the tire manufacturers happy, but, as you can see, it is easily avoided.
I doubt they do it to make the tire manufacturers happy, I think it's more likely they do it (1) to cover their own ass legally, and (2) to reduce the number of improper orders and returns they have to deal with. If my OEM tires had a 92V load rating and I buy new tires with an 87V rating and one of them blows and kills me, Tire Rack (or whatever other vendor) doesn't want my family to sue them for equipping my car with the "wrong" tires. Anyway, like rand49er, I've never had any issues with it - they call, I acknowledge that I'm ordering tires that aren't the "right" size, they process the order. Considering how many people out there don't know what those crazy numbers on the sidewall of the tire mean ;) I think it's a good thing they second check us.

I don't know where you're located ...
I'm going to guess he's located where it says he's located at the top of each of his posts - Ontario, Canada. :yup:

With that in mind, I suggest taking a look at www.1010tires.com. Their prices are high for me here in the US (compared to Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct), but they may be more competitive for someone who doesn't have to worry about shipping across the border.

CadzillaTN
10-29-08, 07:42 PM
(2) to reduce the number of improper orders and returns they have to deal with.
yes.. returns are the mother of all margin killers for retailers.

My local guy can get very close to an online retailer which is fine with me considering the convenience.

HartmanV
10-29-08, 09:43 PM
You all, Discount Tire will match or beat any competitors(not fall off the truck Newark:tisk:) pricing, you can get virtually any tire made, with the exception of Firestone, also with lifetime services... flat repairs, balancing, roto's, road forcing, pro rated road hazzard. I apologize for sounding like a pitch man but it just seems like a no brainer.

P.S. spend the extra $70-$100 and buy the certificates, it always pays for itself in the end

CTSV_Rob
10-29-08, 10:12 PM

-Chris

I know I could serch but I'm feeling a bit lazy, what do you think of those Falkens for the street?

HartmanV
10-29-08, 10:17 PM
If he runnin' the RT615 they are awesome!!, but soft rubber you will replace oftrn, if he's runnin' FK452 overall decent tire, good wet weather, but they will howl, especially as time goes on... my.02

thebigjimsho
10-29-08, 10:51 PM
The RT615 is a great tire for just about any driving. It's just that their tread compounds are not as advanced and they get greasy with a lot of heat...

trukk
10-30-08, 09:54 AM
I know I could serch but I'm feeling a bit lazy, what do you think of those Falkens for the street?

You lazy ass :duck:

I'm getting ready to get my third set of Falken RT-615's. This go around I'm getting 275/35's on all 4 corners (they run a bit small, so will fit up front), on stock rims (Jim STFU about this ;))

They are stickier than the F1SC's the car came with, and last longer. Turn in isn't near as good (let face it though, the turn in on the F1SC's was ridiculously good). They aren't very loud, and are OK in the rain. Tread wise, they didn't last as long as my GSD3's and aren't as good in the rain, but are still 8567% better than the F1SC's in the rain.

Since I'm going even size all around this time, I will be able to rotate them, which should extend their life.

IMHO this is a great bargain performance tire. Yes the PS2's are better than this tire, but are they 2x as good (that's what they cost)? Not worth it to me.

The RT615 is a great tire for just about any driving. It's just that their tread compounds are not as advanced and they get greasy with a lot of heat...

They stick like snot for about 3-4 laps, then fall off and grease up. I also had issues with tread delamination with these on the track. Looking back, this is because I was running staggered, and couldn't rotate them, thus the poor left front got it's ass smacked after 3 weekends of abuse at VIR:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7650/tire2iz3.jpg

I know that's a scary picture, but if you use the tires right (and I didn't), they are great, which is why I'm getting ready for my 3rd set.

-Chris

CTSV_Rob
10-31-08, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I have track tires so I am only looking for tires for the street.