: Anyone ever buy products based on Consumers Guide Reviews???

Msilva954
06-20-04, 11:13 PM
Id like to know if anyone ever buys things based on the reviews by the people at Consumers Guide. Ive noticed that they are great when it comes to comparing and review household items such as Refridgerators and Lawn Mowers but when it comes to cars they are just Flat out SLACKERS.

My grandfather always gets them and I always read their reviews on cars.....the image that they give american cars is really bad. They give almost all Ford Chrylser and GM cars the worst possible review they offer, then when you turn to the back of the book where it shows reliability of previous years and the current year...alot of those cars show FANTASTIC ratings...???....which leaves me clueless to what they are trying to convay across to the consumer...They rate the Deville as a POS, then in the back it has all but 3 slots at there best possible......And of course all Toyotas have every single one at the best possible which leaves me to believe that Toyota really does pay off Consumers Guide to right Fantastic realiabiltiy review for them........they mention nothing of the thousands of bad 3.0 engines that Toyota puts in just about every model they sell including in many Lexus's. Then Ive read their writings about Hyundai and how the XG350 had all these optional options and stuff like that but then if they actually test drove it and read the Retail sticker they would realize that it only has one option and that is a CD changer..right after they said even leather is an option..

So...I say Consumers Guide knows about their appliances but when it comes to car they know very little to absolutly nothing about it.....I would never buy a car based on their reviews.

Ralph
06-20-04, 11:49 PM
I've used them a lot for things like household appliances. I bought a 32 in. Philips tv based on their ratings 5 years ago because they were rated better than Sony at the time. Still no problems with the tv. (Consumer Reports) I'm not sure if thats the same magazine you are referring to or perhaps it has a different name here? Last week I needed a new cordless phone, and I found a great new source for information, "Best Buy.com" or "epinions.com" I like those internet sites because you can read consumer reviews on almost any electronic gizmo made including computers, cordless phones, vcr's etc. So you know it is a quality product before you buy. I bought a Panasonic 2.4 ghz because they are top rated. I don't have to buy the magazine anymore since I got the net.

Concerning cars, I only really value their opinions on things like rear seat legroom, ride quality, etc. When it comes to things like their opinion on quality, or something, it's all subjective and everyone has a different opinion, and experience.

Msilva954
06-21-04, 09:23 AM
Consumer Reports is the same thing.....Glad to see you got your moneys worth with the TV. Ive noticed that even their website differs from what they say in their books. Your right about epinions though, I really like that because it gives you the first hand review from other people that own the products or cars.

elwesso
06-21-04, 11:03 AM
WHen it comes to their showing common problems and stuff like that, it just shows TSBs BASED on common problems, it doesnt show what actual real problems are.....

I like reading what they have to say, but I dont care, its not gonna decide if Im gonna buy the car...

c5 rv
06-21-04, 02:39 PM
All I've heard about Consumers Guide is that it is mainly advertiser supported. Consumer Reports is supposed to be free from any support from the manufacturers and rely on the input of their readers. However, they seem to be strongly biased toward Honda and Toyota. If you look at the ratings for the CTS, the readers rate the car highly with few problems, but the editors assign a low reliability rating overall.

Ralph
06-21-04, 06:50 PM
Consumer Reports is the same thing.....Glad to see you got your moneys worth with the TV.

Thanks! We still have a small Sony Trinitron from 1973 (the first one they made) and it still works great! Now, I read they make them to last 4 to 8 years on avg. then you have to buy a new one, etc.

C5RV: What about Motor Trend, etc. They seem to have a lot of Chevy adds, etc, but why is Consumer Reports criticized for being biased? Personally, I don't really care, but just wondering if there is a connection there in any way.

Msilva954
06-21-04, 07:23 PM
Motor Trend has paid for Chevy ads an what not but they still cut down on Chevy.

But what I think he is trying to say is that CR is there to give you a non-biased report or review by the facts, but in actuallaty they write alot of bull based strickly on opinion.