: Service Stability System light ON!!

LACbaby
10-28-08, 02:40 AM
Just when I am ready to take a road trip, the service stability system light comes on! Seems I might have to rent a vehicle unless I fix this in a day. I tried searching but the answers were very broad. Maybe someone can help me do a quick check?

This situation has happened before(2-3 times a YEAR) but once I shut the car off and turn it back on, the light goes away. This time it's just staying on, even when I turn off and on the car.:mad: My air suspension is still working( I hear the compressor turn on) checked ABS fuse(ok). Anything else I can check?

Thanks for any help!

procom
10-28-08, 03:15 AM
I had the same problem a few weeks back. Mine was lowered 2/3 drop what I had to do was to move the rear air ride sensor bar both sides do one at a time until the computer would start to pump the bags then measure the gap difference and bend the bar just 1/10th of an inch shorter. mine was 2.5 inch center to center of caps. Its hard to get under the truck but I went through the wheel wells. You could jack the truck as long as its on the axle. put jack stands one on each side evenly then you could go under the truck. Hope this works

LACbaby
10-28-08, 03:32 AM
I had the same problem a few weeks back. Mine was lowered 2/3 drop what I had to do was to move the air ride sensor bar until the computer would start to pump the bags then measure the gap difference and bend the bar just 1/10th of an inch shorter. mine was 2.5 inch center to center of caps. hope this works

Thanks for your reply. But happens in the case when your truck is not lowered? Because mine is NOT.

procom
10-28-08, 03:41 AM
These trucks are set with a factory sweet spot. I mean the sensor bar position if one was of a little off from the other it thinks something is wrong if the air bags can't raise or lower to the correct height. What I would do is go measure where the sensor bar is and compare it to the other side. left to right should be the same. Go from the ground to the sensor bar. Also check if you have any air leaks.If its not the air ride then it could be the wheel abs sensor. check the plugs one on each wheel.

LACbaby
10-28-08, 04:31 AM
Thanks again for your informative reply. I would lean more towards the abs sensor. Because I think it the light went on when I was turning the wheel when I was stopped. The previous times that the light has gone on where when I am exiting or entering a fwy entrance with a nice angle to it. The light comes on and the brakes feel real funky(like they want to lock up or something). Does that mean anything else?

LACbaby
10-28-08, 04:35 AM
How can you check if you have an air leak? Also, wouldnt your check air bags sensor come on?

procom
10-28-08, 05:07 AM
If your air pumps every time you start your truck then you have a leak. as far as the air bag sensor goes the ride height had to be right on my truck otherwise i got the same code as yours. in your case you have stock height so its not affected as much but when i looked at my sensor connecting rod it was connected to a trailing arm piece that was loose and a little bent. Your issue is more like the abs sensor.so when the light turns on that means that the computer is not getting a signal from one of your wheels as you are rolling forward. when you hit the brakes it thinks that wheel is locked so it pumps your brakes and release at the same time. You can find a dealer or someone with a gm tech 2 and pull the code to make sure.

LACbaby
10-28-08, 05:44 AM
I thought if your compressor turned on once your truck warmed up was normal? Seems that my compressor always does. Could it be from all the baseball gear, 10x10 foldable canopy, chairs weight that I am always carrying around?lol....I dont think I have ever had the back of my truck empty.

Leaves me no choice but to take it do to the dealer and pull the code. Thanks for all your help. I will get back to this thread as soon as I find out what's going on. :cheers:

the blur
10-28-08, 06:10 AM
you can still take your rode trip and drive forever like that.
stability has NOTHING to do with the autoride air shocks.

there are yaw sensors in the truck which detect if your going into a spin, or sliding sideways on ice. you should fix it, but don't cancel a rode trip over it.

LACbaby
10-28-08, 01:30 PM
you can still take your rode trip and drive forever like that.
stability has NOTHING to do with the autoride air shocks.

there are yaw sensors in the truck which detect if your going into a spin, or sliding sideways on ice. you should fix it, but don't cancel a rode trip over it.

Thanks, that makes me feel better:thumbsup:

zerocarpileup
11-18-08, 01:59 AM
I had the same problem with my 02, it started when i had to aviod and accident and i slammed the brakes and turned the wheel at the same time, the steering wheel turned but the wheels didnt.
turns out it was my steering wheel position sensor, it looks like a white plastic doughnut o dwon my the steering shaft near the kick panel.
Replace this and you will be golden, oh and i dont know why but the dealer coulnt pick up the code when it was scanned.

oldworld
12-27-08, 05:10 PM
DITTO:
The compressor on my escalade pumps almost everytime I start the truck as well. Once it pumps a few seconds, it does not pump again, even if on a very long trip. was told by the dealer that this was normal.
TRUE??????????????????

fasteddyII
12-27-08, 07:07 PM
DITTO:
The compressor on my escalade pumps almost everytime I start the truck as well. Once it pumps a few seconds, it does not pump again, even if on a very long trip. was told by the dealer that this was normal.
TRUE??????????????????
Same here