: K&n cai installed!

814V
10-27-08, 10:30 PM
wow.. i have installed CAI's before but i don"t remember them making this much of a difference. the $217 it was worth it:lildevil: it makes a noticeable gain right of bottom and throttle response. and if nothing else it sounds awesome! anyways that my .02

Cowan480
10-27-08, 11:00 PM
CAI was my first install earlier this year... youll be all modded up before you know it... enjoy it!!

Twitch
10-27-08, 11:29 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you like a CAI, you'll LOVE a real mod.
And yeah, they sound great.

CBVLS6
10-27-08, 11:37 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you like a CAI, you'll LOVE a real mod.
And yeah, they sound great.

lol.. jesus, that was ice cold. Maggie FTW!

814V
10-28-08, 12:32 AM
a maggie is in my cars future i just wanna wait to go through a couple more rear ends while its still under warranty :D for now im just gonna install the x pipe and tune it.

ba83
10-28-08, 11:33 AM
I dont think CAI gives a difference in noise if you already have an exhaust.

LUVMY04V
10-28-08, 11:42 AM
I like my K@N as well.

stuckey
10-28-08, 11:57 AM
i like mine too. i didnt really see much of an increase as suspected but its something else in there that looks nice...lol

JD03Cobra
10-28-08, 11:57 AM
Installed my Lingenfelter CAI a few weeks ago...sounds like a vacuum up front when on throttle almost turbo like.

814V
10-28-08, 12:18 PM
I dont think CAI gives a difference in noise if you already have an exhaust.

it just makes the car sound a little more crisp.. not so much louder

MauiV
10-28-08, 01:09 PM
I cant hear my K&N anymore with all that whineing coming from under the hood.

LUVMY04V
10-28-08, 01:32 PM
Why is my girlfriend under there??? :rimshot:

814V
10-28-08, 03:44 PM

ya ya ya.... I envy you

Twitch
10-28-08, 04:38 PM
My LPE sounded great with the 3 1/2" intake tube.
I wonder how the Maggie sounds to normal people? :confused:

CTSV_510
10-28-08, 04:43 PM
My LPE sounded great with the 3 1/2" intake tube.
I wonder how the Maggie sounds to normal people? :confused:

Normal people?

I love the sound of the maggie, but I could go without the whistling that comes from the K&N.

Twitch
10-28-08, 04:48 PM
Normal people?

You know, the people who only pay for a car once. :D

CTSV_510
10-28-08, 05:06 PM
You know, the people who only pay for a car once. :D

:lol:

814V
10-28-08, 05:11 PM
I NEED A MAGGIE! anyone want to donate one to me :)

CadiBlk
10-28-08, 05:13 PM
Normal people?

I love the sound of the maggie, but I could go without the whistling that comes from the K&N.

I thought the whistling is coming from the TB. I thought it was from the noise of the air going into the TB around the blade and at certain speeds the gap between the blade made a lil whistle. I have the LPE and I can hear a whistle, but I can make it stop by opening the throttle some more and it isn't the engine noise that drowns it out, it just stops. K&N might be different, but that is my experience.

Twitch
10-28-08, 05:16 PM
I NEED A MAGGIE! anyone want to donate one to me :)

I'll trade you for cam+heads, intake and TB.
Than all you need is a Meth kit, and your good to go. :thumbsup:

JD03Cobra
10-28-08, 06:03 PM
I have the LPE and I can hear a whistle, but I can make it stop by opening the throttle some more and it isn't the engine noise that drowns it out, it just stops. K&N might be different, but that is my experience.

That's exactly how mine is with the Lingenfelter CAI.

CadiBlk
10-28-08, 06:13 PM
That's exactly how mine is with the Lingenfelter CAI.

I didn't hear it till I put my free flow tube on. FWIW

PISNUOFF
10-28-08, 06:58 PM
I'll trade you for cam+heads, intake and TB.

:thumbsup:

You're the first one to actually admit it.

814V
10-28-08, 07:35 PM
so if your not gonna run a maggie then what setup would you use?

Twitch
10-28-08, 07:48 PM
:thumbsup:

You're the first one to actually admit it.
Na, in the end, I'd still think FI is better for me.

so if your not gonna run a maggie then what setup would you use?
Me? I really think it comes down to what you want. I didn't get the Maggie cuz I need the power (I know I don't). I got it for the fun facter. As soon as you get on the gas, you feel it PULL. If your pulling away from a light, or just cruising on the highway, push the peddal a little bit and you feel it. Forget about when your pushing it :burn:
But last week at Summit my IATs were in the 140s. Not too bad, but I lost a bunch of power. We'll see how it works with Meth next spring.

You can't go wrong with N/A or FI. But you can go broke lol

MauiV
10-28-08, 08:00 PM
I get a whistle with the peddle pushed about 1/4" down. If I let off a bit it goes away and if I apply more throttle it goes away. It started with the K&N install. My old Lincoln LS did it too and the dealer said it was the butterfly valve in the TB and couldnt be fixed.

You can always still add a H/C package WITH the Maggie. :lildevil:

And yeah, the Maggie pulls no matter where you are in the RPM range. It even pulls in 6th, so I no longer need to downshift to make a highway speed pass on the interstate.

IMO Twitches numbers are quite a bit low, especially for a Dynojet and that may contribute to his feeling of lost power. With a 190 IAT heat soak on a Mustang dyno I still pulled 437 HP with 431 ftlbs so I should be above 450/440 on a cold pull. Those remaned Maggies did cause guys some trouble and I wonder where it came from and how good the plug n play tune with them really is.

814V
10-28-08, 08:17 PM
they offer reman maggies? I want that extra umph I feel my car is missing LOL. the maggie seems like the logical choice for me :)

MauiV
10-28-08, 08:22 PM
they offer reman maggies? I want that extra umph I feel my car is missing LOL. the maggie seems like the logical choice for me :)

3 were bought by guys on here and trouble (not real mod hell, just little quirks) insued. I called Magnuson to see if they were anticipating any more and they said no, so I bought a low mileage used one off a member.

CadiBlk
10-28-08, 10:36 PM
I get a whistle with the peddle pushed about 1/4" down. If I let off a bit it goes away and if I apply more throttle it goes away. It started with the K&N install. My old Lincoln LS did it too and the dealer said it was the butterfly valve in the TB and couldnt be fixed.

That's exactly what I have. I don't mind the whistle, reminds me that if I push the pedal down more it will go away. :devil:

There isn't missing "umph" in our cars, there is plenty umph. You are just getting used to it. Thus the itch will start to grow...

814V
10-29-08, 01:06 AM
hmm.. well i think im gonna get the flywheel and tune her for now. then when i get the itch again ill step up to the maggie :thepan:

CTSV_Rob
10-29-08, 02:35 AM
The flywheel makes one hell of a difference but to really get some push put a set of headers on.

trukk
10-29-08, 11:22 AM
I have an LPE CAI. With a Katech ported TB, and the straight intake tube, I could hear the 'suck' from the CAI, but had no whistle.

Once I put on my ported Fast 90, and Nick Williams 90mm TB, I know have a fairly pronounced whistle. I think it may have to do with the TB blade not being knife edged like my old one was.

Either way, I like the whistle. It really reminds you that you are not stock. It also goes away with more throttle.

-Chris

Dorrien
10-29-08, 11:32 AM
so is thee any real difference between the LPE or the K&N? Im supposed to finally get my car out of the shop friday and wanted to make a CAI my first mod. it seems to me the LPE is cheaper..is that the only difference?

STAGEUP
10-29-08, 11:50 AM
Awesome Derek! I can't wait to see it, and check it out. You may convince me to get a CAI. :) Time for a tune! ;)

Also, some video action for our V crowd. :)

814V
10-29-08, 12:44 PM
Awesome Derek! I can't wait to see it, and check it out. You may convince me to get a CAI. :) Time for a tune! ;)

Also, some video action for our V crowd. :)

yea i am excited about tuning the car this weekend :sneaky: then next week we can head back out to the track and see what we accomplished lol

trukk
10-29-08, 12:57 PM
so is thee any real difference between the LPE or the K&N? Im supposed to finally get my car out of the shop friday and wanted to make a CAI my first mod. it seems to me the LPE is cheaper..is that the only difference?

I think the LPE does a much better job of segregating the filter element from the rest of the engine bay, however, it does not inlcude a replacement intake tube like the K&N kit does.

Personally I think the best of both worklds is to get an LPE & and then get a replacement air tube.

-Chris

CadiBlk
10-29-08, 01:06 PM
I think the LPE does a much better job of segregating the filter element from the rest of the engine bay, however, it does not inlcude a replacement intake tube like the K&N kit does.

Personally I think the best of both worklds is to get an LPE & and then get a replacement air tube.

-Chris

2nd that.

CTSV_Rob
10-29-08, 11:14 PM
What about the Volant setup?

Twitch
10-30-08, 12:58 AM
2nd that.
3rd
LPE is best for the long run.

trukk
10-30-08, 10:59 AM
What about the Volant setup?

After seing the volont on the dyno, I have no i dea how that box doesn't implode at WOT. Their idea is very good, but I don't think the airbox is big enough, to let in the ammount of air that the engine needs at WOT. To make it work right, you'd have to start cutting up the box to let more air in, and then you start to defeat the purpose of their design.

I still think the LPE is the best design, that we've seen thus far. It's not perfect either. Also I try not to be biased, but that is the model that I have, so take my opinion with that in mind.

-Chris

814V
10-30-08, 12:52 PM
anyone have any pics of the LPE setup?

Twitch
10-30-08, 06:20 PM
This is with the 3 1/2" homemade tube.
It usually uses the stock tube.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/0105_115013.jpg

CBVLS6
10-30-08, 08:53 PM
I just dont see how the LPE intake failed to address the tubing, I mean when you actually look at that thing it's ridiculous.:hide:

814V
10-30-08, 10:41 PM
was there a different version from K&N because mine looks just like that. the air box where the filter is didn't sit as flush as i wished it had so i made some custom mounts and now it seals up perfect.

trukk
10-30-08, 11:08 PM
anyone have any pics of the LPE setup?

Here is my intake tube (Stealth V FFV v2, thanks Rick) with some notes attached. I wouldn't go with a 4" tube though.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3061/ffvv2fx2.jpg

-Chris

shadybx7
10-31-08, 02:29 AM
I dug this up thread recently because i buying a LPE CAI off the classifieds..

post #30 groverdrill made a shopping list:

From www.siliconeintakes.com

1 x 3.5" Silicone Hump Hose, Black (SIL000432)
1 x T-Bolt Clamp for 4.0" Silicone Parts (CLA000310)
3 x T-Bolt Clamp for 3.5" Silicone Parts (CLA000105)
1 x Silicone Reducer, 90 bend - 4.0" to 3.5" - Black (BRE000958)

The intake tube I got here.
http://store.airflo.com/alintu3od.html

So all total out the door and shipped I spent 75 bucks per "homemade version" of the Stealth V intake.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/142021-finally-got-one-new-v-owner-3.html

atdeneve
10-31-08, 06:32 AM
Here is my intake tube (Stealth V FFV v2, thanks Rick) with some notes attached. I wouldn't go with a 4" tube though.
-Chris

What's the difference between the FFV v1 and FFV v2?

To me, the elbow looks smoother in v1. FFV v2's elbow actually looks like a 90 degree turn, as opposed to v1's smoother transition.

I'd think it'd've (yes, I make up my own conjunctions) been the other way around. Any other differences?

Chris, you need to take a rag, dab it in some clean power steering fluid, and wipe up that reservoir. It'll be clean white in a jiffy.

Caution: Huemungis picture alert. Future posters, feel free to make generous use of your return key.

trukk
10-31-08, 09:44 AM
What's the difference between the FFV v1 and FFV v2?

To me, the elbow looks smoother in v1. FFV v2's elbow actually looks like a 90 degree turn, as opposed to v1's smoother transition.

I'd think it'd've (yes, I make up my own conjunctions) been the other way around. Any other differences?

Chris, you need to take a rag, dab it in some clean power steering fluid, and wipe up that reservoir. It'll be clean white in a jiffy.

Caution: Huemungis picture alert. Future posters, feel free to make generous use of your return key.

What can I say, I doo's (my word) it big.

The power steering resevior sucks, it just can't the fluid getting any heat in it without spilling out.

-Chris

CTSV_Rob
10-31-08, 08:03 PM
After seing the volont on the dyno, I have no i dea how that box doesn't implode at WOT. Their idea is very good, but I don't think the airbox is big enough, to let in the ammount of air that the engine needs at WOT. To make it work right, you'd have to start cutting up the box to let more air in, and then you start to defeat the purpose of their design.

I still think the LPE is the best design, that we've seen thus far. It's not perfect either. Also I try not to be biased, but that is the model that I have, so take my opinion with that in mind.

-Chris
Nice setup Chris, it does look solid.

As you know I have Rick's Maggie and I will be installing it soon but the car has been in pieces doing some mod's to help the car survive with the extra power.

Within the stuff I got from Rick was a Volant air box. You make a good point about the restrictions and I will be checking that out but I want to make sure I don't suck in a ny heat from the engine compartment. Wtih this info I think I will look into some custom trimming to assist with the air flow. I will see.

I have a custom FFV Veeery similar to yours, the only difference is the 3 1/2 inch tube is a "hump" style to give the engine a little more wiggle room. As Chirs pointed out it is very tight in there and a 4" pipe just wouldn't work. Besides, you should get plenty of flow from the 3.5" pipe. For the Maggie I will use the custom pipe they provide with the kit. It's a nice smooth transition and better than anything I could custom fab up.

As you said, they all have their drawbacks but I do like your setup.