: GO PHILLIES... As All God's Little Children Say - "WOOT!"

AMGoff
10-27-08, 06:30 PM
So if you had asked me back in April whether I thought I'd be watching the Phils in the World Series come October, I would have laughed in your face... Had you then said that they'd be leading 3-1, I would have said you were on crack and then probably have punched you in the face for toying with my emotions in such a cruel and unusual way.

Anyway... I fully realize that nothing's over until it's over and they have plenty of time to still screw this up, but needless to say... it's awfully damn exciting!

We've gone too long without a big win here in this area... I was 7 years old when the Phils won their first and last championship and I remember it as if it were yesterday. But there's a whole generation out there who have never experienced something like that around here... I think the last championship of any kind was the Sixers and even that was 25 years ago. I didn't really give a damn about that one though, since I honestly couldn't give two craps about basketball. I'll admit my complete and utter bias as I say this... but the Phillies deserve to win this series. I have nothing against the Rays... before the past month or so, I knew next to nothing about them. They obviously have some talent that managed to start firing on all cylinders this year... But they're a new franchise with a really young team who've got plenty of time ahead of them. The Phillies on the other hand only have six Pennants and one Championship to their credit through their 125 year history, not only that but there are a couple of veteran players with great careers that have never gotten a ring... although he's a new addition to the organization, Matt Stairs is one... and the other, most especially is Jamie Moyer - whom I'd love to finally get his first win only a few weeks shy of his 46th birthday.

Either way... this is perhaps one of the best all around teams in the organizations long history - much better than the '93 team and damn close to the 1980 team. Although anything can still happen, especially since I still can't see the Rays losing three straight... but still, I hope they win it. Even more so, I hope that they clinch it tonight for two reasons... 1.) I'd love for them to be able to win it at home, and 2.) We're leaving for Citizens Bank Park in about a half-hour :thumbsup: We managed to get called for the ticket "lottery" and I'm totally stoked for it... It would be an absolute highlight of my life to be able to see my team clinch the World Series in person... If it somehow happens, I have a feeling there won't be a single building left standing in Philadelphia come tomorrow morning!

GO PHILS!

Spittin Game
10-27-08, 06:32 PM
And out from Left Field comes the Bandwagon...

AMGoff
10-27-08, 07:10 PM
And out from Left Field comes the Bandwagon...

Please... bandwagon my ass. I realize that being in Denver, you've only had what - 15 years of local baseball and the disappointments that've come with it?

As far as personal recollections go, I've been emotionally tortured by this team for about three decades now. After the one shining moment in '80... They should have beaten the Expos in '81.. but they didn't and I soldiered on. They should have beaten the Orioles in '83... but they didn't and I stuck by them for the next decade. Then '93 came and I was crushed... Do you know what the initial consequence of that was? I didn't watch the game for probably about five years... However, the longer standing consequence was that I learned two things - Don't invest too much into them and don't talk about them for the most part even if they're doing well... Including last year when they won the division for the first time since '93... and you know what - they should've beat the Rockies too.

So talk bout bandwagons all you want.... There may be bandwagons for other teams - but there is no such thing as a Phillies bandwagon. There is only one select group of people who are Phillies fans and they are those who've grown up in the Deleware Valley... Everyone else has always and will always consistently sh!t on the Phils... Do you know what this season has sounded like... it went something like this - "The Phillies won't make the playoffs, the Mets will win the division and someone else will get the wildcard," then we went to "Oh, it'll be the Brewers vs. the Dodgers," then "oh what a World Series it'll be... the Dodgers vs. the Sox," and then for the last 10 days or so... "The AL will show it's dominance and the Rays will win their first Championship..."

The moral of this story? No one ever roots for the Phillies excepts for those who've agonized of this team for eons. So eff' off and give the team a little damn credit... pff.. bandwagon..

Enjoy rooting for the Rays on your TV... I'll bring you back a souvenir.

Jesda
10-27-08, 07:22 PM
No one cares about either team. Its like watching two indigenous tribes play stick ball in the mud.

hueterm
10-27-08, 08:06 PM
Good luck!! I'm just glad the Yankees and the Red Sox are not in it (nor the Cubs, as I'm from St. Louis, and they have to keep up the streak) just so we don't hear how good they are and how big their payrolls are and how no one else should have a chance.

I personally love it when there's an upset and unexpected teams make it in.

MauiV
10-27-08, 08:14 PM
They still play the World Series? I though baseball dried up and blew away.

thebigjimsho
10-27-08, 08:46 PM
Good luck!! I'm just glad the Yankees and the Red Sox are not in it (nor the Cubs, as I'm from St. Louis, and they have to keep up the streak) just so we don't hear how good they are and how big their payrolls are and how no one else should have a chance.

I personally love it when there's an upset and unexpected teams make it in.Oh yes, because those hard luck Phillies have a such a miniscule $95M+ payroll. Such an upset.

Spittin Game
10-27-08, 08:50 PM
Please... bandwagon my ass. I realize that being in Denver, you've only had what - 15 years of local baseball and the disappointments that've come with it?

As far as personal recollections go, I've been emotionally tortured by this team for about three decades now. After the one shining moment in '80... They should have beaten the Expos in '81.. but they didn't and I soldiered on. They should have beaten the Orioles in '83... but they didn't and I stuck by them for the next decade. Then '93 came and I was crushed... Do you know what the initial consequence of that was? I didn't watch the game for probably about five years... However, the longer standing consequence was that I learned two things - Don't invest too much into them and don't talk about them for the most part even if they're doing well... Including last year when they won the division for the first time since '93... and you know what - they should've beat the Rockies too.

So talk bout bandwagons all you want.... There may be bandwagons for other teams - but there is no such thing as a Phillies bandwagon. There is only one select group of people who are Phillies fans and they are those who've grown up in the Deleware Valley... Everyone else has always and will always consistently sh!t on the Phils... Do you know what this season has sounded like... it went something like this - "The Phillies won't make the playoffs, the Mets will win the division and someone else will get the wildcard," then we went to "Oh, it'll be the Brewers vs. the Dodgers," then "oh what a World Series it'll be... the Dodgers vs. the Sox," and then for the last 10 days or so... "The AL will show it's dominance and the Rays will win their first Championship..."

The moral of this story? No one ever roots for the Phillies excepts for those who've agonized of this team for eons. So eff' off and give the team a little damn credit... pff.. bandwagon..

Enjoy rooting for the Rays on your TV... I'll bring you back a souvenir.

HA! Sure Im in Denver, but I could care less about the Rockies, but I will root for them at times. Im from FL where the Marlins (yes they are one of my favorite teams) are the same age as the Rockies, but I grew up a Yankees fan. So I tend to root for the Yankees and the Marlins. And neither of my teams made the playoffs this year which sucks.

Im just saying, I find it funny that your post comes out now that they are 1 game away from winning the WS, sounds pretty bandwagonish to me...And there are bandwagons for EVERY team out there. When a team starts winning people jump on.

hueterm
10-27-08, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, because those hard luck Phillies have a such a miniscule $95M+ payroll. Such an upset.

Now don't :crying2:

To be honest, I have no idea who has what payroll. The only time I really get interested in baseball is if the Cardinals are in the post-season.

All you ever hear is how much NY and Boston spend, so I took it and ran w/it...

hueterm
10-27-08, 11:00 PM
OUCH!! His game is delayed for rain!!

AMGoff
10-27-08, 11:34 PM
Im just saying, I find it funny that your post comes out now that they are 1 game away from winning the WS, sounds pretty bandwagonish to me...And there are bandwagons for EVERY team out there. When a team starts winning people jump on.

I made the post because for whatever reason no one was talking about the Series, which completely baffled me. As for the reason why I hadn't started it until now - A.)I've been fairly sporadic here the past week, and B.) Let me direct you back to my previous comment...

However, the longer standing consequence was that I learned two things - Don't invest too much into them and don't talk about them for the most part even if they're doing well... Including last year when they won the division for the first time since '93..

Frankly, I debated even saying anything at all until it was all over and for a good damn reason... I brought it up and look what's friggin' happened! Not only is there a good chance the game won't be resumed until Wednesday, but now we've got even more botched calls from the officials in this series... it makes zero sense that game wasn't put into a delay after the 5th inning. I don't know how the field was looking on TV... but in person, that field was unplayable by the end of the 4th. The umpires in this series have to be hands down, some of the worst there's been in recent memory - they've consistently made piss-poor calls on both sides this entire series. Besides this rain delay call.. the two biggest that stand out were Upton being called safe at first in Game 3 and Rollins being called safe at third last night. Either way... it was pretty obvious MLB wanted TB to tie things up before they called it... and MLB always gets what it wants I guess.

Anyway... I don't buy the whole there's a bandwagon for every team statement. Maybe you're not that familiar with Philly sports or the fans.. but there certainly aren't any such things for these clubs, period. And on the same token, I'd say one would be hard pressed to find a group of fans who've been more tortured by disappointment and generally reviled by other teams and fans than Philly supporters.

Here's just another example of that overwhelming disappointment... I mean - the first time in history that a World Series game has been suspended for rain since the new rule's been in place and it has to be a game where the Phillies were leading in the clincher. Go figure...

hueterm
10-27-08, 11:59 PM
Don't forget about the pitcher that was all over Yahoo's homepage news where they were talking about this dirty cap that "might" have pine tar on it...

It's much more likely that it's just his "lucky" cap that has gotten a little ripe...in fact, he didn't look to be the most well kept one of the bunch.

Having grown up in St. Louis, our animosity was always against the Cubs (friendly) and the Mets (not so much...) -- I was never aware of Philly haters. Both teams won the World Series in the early 80s -- however, you guys got screwed w/having Atlanta in your division in the 90s and early 2000s -- where we went to Central and were often in the post season (although it took a while to make it to the World Series again).