: 427 Motor swap. Opinions?

Dave-V
10-27-08, 03:14 PM
I have access to a 2006 V rolling chassis and am thinking of dropping in a 427. :lildevil: Do you guys have an opinion on the best way to get the most drivable power in a V? I have talked to Mallett about their LS7 swap or a clown LS3 but wanted some more opinions. Any idea on what this should cost? Much appreciated.

Dave-V
10-27-08, 03:17 PM
Sorry,
I meant blown, not clown. I am a lousy typist.

I have access to a 2006 V rolling chassis and am thinking of dropping in a 427. :lildevil: Do you guys have an opinion on the best way to get the most drivable power in a V? I have talked to Mallett about their LS7 swap or a blown LS3 but wanted some more opinions. Any idea on what this should cost? Much appreciated.

urbanski
10-27-08, 04:53 PM
haha i wondered about that

onebadcad
10-27-08, 05:13 PM
Mallett is damn good, but not cheap, if money is not a factor go with them, or any other of the top-tier tuners such as Lingenfelter or Katech; the reason they are pricey is because they deliver quality.
IMO, the LS7 is a great motor, but you can do much more for the price.

If you are on a budget, and have an engine builder who is local, shop the Internet for the best prices on blocks (go with the Warhawk), heads (AFR, Dart, TrickFlow),,, half the fun will be shopping for the parts.

If you have a tech in your town, just search for a complete motor and have it shipped, these guys are good and offer value: http://ultrastreet.net/shortblocks/434_short.asp

Check E-bay and auto forums, given the poor economy you can find a few bargains on motors that were never delivered to the original orderer.

Good luck, and keep the compression at 10:1 if you plan on boost.

Dave-V
10-27-08, 08:06 PM
Thanks. I have ruled out Mallett due to price. Katech has a 6.7 already built for $14000 but it only makes 525 at the crank with LT headers (which it does not come with so add another $1000 or so) I have taled to EPP about doing a LS2 4" stroker, more cost effective. Any more ideas are welcomed.

Mallett is damn good, but not cheap, if money is not a factor go with them, or any other of the top-tier tuners such as Lingenfelter or Katech; the reason they are pricey is because they deliver quality.
IMO, the LS7 is a great motor, but you can do much more for the price.

If you are on a budget, and have an engine builder who is local, shop the Internet for the best prices on blocks (go with the Warhawk), heads (AFR, Dart, TrickFlow),,, half the fun will be shopping for the parts.

If you have a tech in your town, just search for a complete motor and have it shipped, these guys are good and offer value: http://ultrastreet.net/shortblocks/434_short.asp

Check E-bay and auto forums, given the poor economy you can find a few bargains on motors that were never delivered to the original orderer.

Good luck, and keep the compression at 10:1 if you plan on boost.

your maker
10-27-08, 10:02 PM
i would go to katech instead
more options and well known

heavymetals
10-27-08, 10:03 PM
There is a You Tube video of a maggied (122) LS2 that is unreal.

Dave-V
10-27-08, 11:46 PM
They have a 6.7 built and ready to go, but $14000 seems like a lot of $ for 525 at the crank. Plus you need to buy LT headers and HF cats.

i would go to katech instead
more options and well known

SkullV
10-28-08, 12:36 AM
They have a 6.7 built and ready to go, but $14000 seems like a lot of $ for 525 at the crank. Plus you need to buy LT headers and HF cats.

How much are you paying for the rolling chassis? If it is less then 15k then I would say pay the 15k for the motor/headers and have a V that is easily worth the 30k you put into it.

Naf
10-28-08, 02:40 AM
Well, if you are going to be drppin a big block into your TIGHT little compartment you need to plan for a few more things....

1. you need to beef up your clutch
2. you will need to evaluate your transmission condition
3. How is your rear diff these days
4. your fuel system will need to be upgraded
5. you WILL have to upgrade your rad and install an oil cooler for everything on your car

You are lookin to spend twice as much as the engines worth...So be careful and Plan ahead...You cant sail on half vast ideas and expect to make it anywhere...

SFBayV
10-28-08, 03:22 PM
Well, if you are going to be drppin a big block into your TIGHT little compartment you need to plan for a few more things....

1. you need to beef up your clutch
2. you will need to evaluate your transmission condition
3. How is your rear diff these days
4. your fuel system will need to be upgraded
5. you WILL have to upgrade your rad and install an oil cooler for everything on your car

You are lookin to spend twice as much as the engines worth...So be careful and Plan ahead...You cant sail on half vast ideas and expect to make it anywhere...

Forgive me if I'm misreading your post, but I think that he's referring to a 427 cu. in. LSx stroker engine and not the 427 big block Chevy (or Ford for that matter).

Wouldn't a stock LS7 or perhaps a crate motor fill the bill? The only major concern that I see would be adapting the dry sump system.

Cory

Dave-V
10-28-08, 05:08 PM
I ended up not buying the rolling chassis so I am looking for something else to tinker with.

heavymetals
10-28-08, 05:56 PM
Get a used C5 Z06.

They are cheap and a whole lot of fun..:shhh:

(except getting in and out of!) :bonkers:

mbiker97
10-28-08, 09:59 PM
A crate ls376 might be fun for $7800.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS376480&engine=LS%20376/480&sku=19171224&engCat=ls

Dave-V
10-29-08, 12:20 PM
Good thought, but I need 4 doors.

Get a used C5 Z06.

They are cheap and a whole lot of fun..:shhh:

(except getting in and out of!) :bonkers:

trukk
10-29-08, 01:11 PM
I'd consider going with a stroked LS3 longblock. Usually they are about 416 or 418 depending on the overbore. This is damn close to a 427, at about half the cost.

Here is an example from texas speed (this is a short blcok though, so you'd still ahve to get heads/intake, etc.):

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=686

While you are doing this, I would really consider going all forged. It will add on some (although not a huge ammount) price, but it will give you the versatitily later to add Forced Indction, or get a really lumpy cam, and not have to worry about poppoing a piston.

The LS3 is more similar to an LS2, from the controller stand point. Most engines will give you the choice of a 24 or 58 reluctor for your application. Texas Speed also has an LS2 conversion kit, so you can re use your current PCM, etc.

-Chris