: Ok bigjim and cvp, now you can tell me "told you so..."

JimmyH
10-27-08, 01:07 PM
So I had my 3.6 in for a check engine light (some fuel sensor thing replaced under warranty) at Motor Werks. They offered me a loaner, but I decided to just drop it off and drive the V while it was in.

So when I picked it up, I decided to leave the V, so they could check the whining diff, and see about replacing the fluid. He was certain he could get the fluid replaced under warranty.

So he calls me back today and says they are replacing the entire differential under warranty. The tech made the call. Apparently, since they are not entirely sure what has been done to the diff before (though from everything he can tell, it is the original) they want to put in the upgraded diff per some service bulletin, and make sure it has the correct % of additive and make sure the diff is shimmed properly. This is all what my service adviser told me. (Kevin Mack btw, who Rocks!)

And here I professed I would never have to have my diff replaced. Oh well.

Jon
10-27-08, 01:33 PM
Sounds like you have a great dealer.

urbanski
10-27-08, 01:43 PM
yeah no shit

MescalVto
10-27-08, 01:53 PM
Please try to find out and post the service bullitin number that the dealer is using; as it sounds like the rest of us that still have original 2004 diffs should all be trying to make sure ours get replaced with the "upgraded" one BEFORE our warranties expire!!!!

ahahnu
10-27-08, 02:39 PM
Ok bigjim and cvp, now you can tell me "told you so..."

Please don't add to the big head aka Bigjim

CVP33
10-27-08, 06:06 PM
No I told you so needed here. You have a great dealer and now you'll have a new rear diff'. These are both good things and that's how it's supposed to go. I just wish it went this well for me as with many others that end up in battles over such things. :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
10-27-08, 08:32 PM
Please don't add to the big head aka BigjimDamn straight I got a big head. And I made sure Jimmy didn't see it in Detroit...

SoJersey05V
10-28-08, 12:56 AM
yes please come up with the TSB # as i have 14000mi left on the Warranty! my dealer is pretty good at taking care of me. just got my new Rad, Driver side rearview mirror glass (shakes horrible at 100+), and my new headlights are on the way because of the scratches & fading... i want to do the rear so if i go in with some extra ammo it'll be replaced hands down!
thanks

JimmyH
10-28-08, 11:55 AM
Motorwerks Cadillac in Barrington IL. They are indeed awesome. When I had my CTS in, they replaced a burned out bulb under warranty that I did not even know was burned out.

I will try to get the TSB number. I am assuming it will be on the service ticket. If not, I will ask them.

JimmyH
10-28-08, 11:59 AM
Please try to find out and post the service bullitin number that the dealer is using; as it sounds like the rest of us that still have original 2004 diffs should all be trying to make sure ours get replaced with the "upgraded" one BEFORE our warranties expire!!!!

I am sure there are conditions on the TSB. I doubt you can just take in your V and the TSB number and say "I need a new diff." They are replacing mine because of the whining. Until recently it was very soft, and could not be heard if the radio was on. Within the last month or so it started getting louder, and now the radio has to be turned up to completely drown it out.

thomaspetrone
10-28-08, 03:07 PM
Question: is this a high or low pitched whine? I notice a low/medium pitch whine from the rear that seems more apparent when turning. Not sure if tire or rear, but I am pretty sure wasn't there for a while after I got new tires.

JimmyH
10-28-08, 11:22 PM
I think it is going to be too difficult to determine if we have the same opinion of high or low pitch on an internet forum. All I know is it was definitely gear whine. Gear whine and tire noises are distinctly different.

They also pointed out my worn front tires. But I politely told them I wasn't quite interested in getting the tires replaced at this point.

MescalVto
10-29-08, 11:58 AM
I am sure there are conditions on the TSB. I doubt you can just take in your V and the TSB number and say "I need a new diff." They are replacing mine because of the whining. Until recently it was very soft, and could not be heard if the radio was on . . .

Umm, exactly why the TSB will help; to provide guidance as to what complaint I should bring to help my service writer nudge the tech in the right direction . . . Anyway, mine does not whine so bad YET (still below radio volume), but does occassionally bind and produce some really scary sounding popping when turning very tightly at low speed.

CadiBlk
10-29-08, 12:00 PM
I think my last dealer in Chicago had a side business selling tires, because every time I was in there they would try to get me to buy new tires. I went in about a week after putting fresh ones on and they tried to get me to buy run flats. :cookoo:

The Tony Show
10-29-08, 12:11 PM
"I told you so, Jimmy"

(Okay, I know I wasn't on the list, but that felt totally cool. :lol:)

JimmyH
11-02-08, 10:40 AM
I think my last dealer in Chicago had a side business selling tires, because every time I was in there they would try to get me to buy new tires. I went in about a week after putting fresh ones on and they tried to get me to buy run flats. :cookoo:

Actually, that's EVERY dealer. F'in dealers... (haha Tony, and I thought you were on my side on the diff thing :annoyed:)

JonCR96Z
11-02-08, 05:44 PM
Damn straight I got a big head. And I made sure Jimmy didn't see it in Detroit...

So big that it almost make up for the tiny shaft that holds it up.

thebigjimsho
11-02-08, 07:23 PM
So big that it almost make up for the tiny shaft that holds it up.Did you get cross-eyed on your knees??:yup: