: 2006 CTS-V Mods?

fscarce1
10-27-08, 01:15 PM
Thinking about buying my 2006 CTS-V, it's at lease end.

What would you do performance-wise if you had around 10 grand to spend? Would you go for the Maggie or stay naturally aspirated and go with cam,intake, etc. I'm having trouble even finding much stuff available for my car. Any recommendations for where to look. I've tried a search and didn't see much for the 2006 V.

Any tuner recommendations in central Fl.

Final question. Is some clutch chatter normal for this car when you launch at low RPM (around 1000)? I had the clutch replaced under warranty and it still doesn't feel right to me. They resurfaced the flywheel also I believe.

Thanks!

rand49er
10-27-08, 01:26 PM
I've got about 10k and some change in my car if that gives you some idea.

stuckey
10-27-08, 01:34 PM
shifter FIRST!!! headers w/ high flow cats, exhaust Magnaflow or Corsa, KARS, Hotchkis, MAGGIE, then tune if u have money left upgrade ur shocks

concorso
10-27-08, 02:07 PM
Drive it for a few weeks and decide which aspect you want to upgrade.

heavymetals
10-27-08, 02:13 PM
MAGGIE it at some point. :yup:

There is a reason why the 09 comes with one.......:lildevil:

fscarce1
10-27-08, 03:17 PM
I've got about 10k and some change in my car if that gives you some idea.

Thanks. Did you do any of the installs yourself?

tweeter81
10-27-08, 03:26 PM
In my opinion:

Maggie = $5500
UUC Shifter = $350 (with Lindsay Cadillac shifter bushings)
Hotchkis Swaybars = $300 (with C5 Z06 front endlinks = $45)
Stiffer shocks (FG2) = $1200
Ground Control Coilover Kit = $550
Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk HP+ pads (front) and HPS (rear) = $800 (guess)
Cat-back exhaust (Magnaflow, B&B, Corsa) = $800
Headers (Kooks, B&B, and TPIS) = $1300
Stainless Steel Brake Lines (UUC) = $150

Better Fluids - I use all Royal Purple for everything.

Total Mod Cost = $11000 + probably $2000-$3000 for install costs unless you will be doing most of this yourself. I did all my suspension mods (with a lot of help from another forum member) myself and it was not fun, but doable even without a lift.

For all of that you will have a car that most likely will outperform the new 2009 CTS-V and most corvettes as well. This would get you about 440 RWHP and 400+ RWTQ. Hope this helps.

ba83
10-27-08, 04:14 PM
put some money towards the lease of the new 09V and call it a day

rand49er
10-27-08, 04:27 PM
Thanks. Did you do any of the installs yourself?All of them, except the clear bra.

Cowan480
10-27-08, 10:03 PM
Tweeter81 has got down those numbers!! Id go with him minus the GC.

HartmanV
10-27-08, 10:32 PM
Why minus the Ground Control? Are there long term problems arrising? Thinking about installing... so I inquire:hmm:

P.S. fScarce1 sorry for the thread jack.... where abouth in Central Florida are you?

rand49er
10-28-08, 10:12 AM
Why minus the Ground Control? ...:yeah:

CTSV_510
10-28-08, 10:19 AM
Why minus the Ground Control? Are there long term problems arrising? Thinking about installing... so I inquire:hmm:

I think Cowan just didn't like his car lowered. If you want to lower your car, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that ground control (or KW) is the way to go.

tweeter81
10-28-08, 02:42 PM

P.S. fScarce1 sorry for the thread jack.... where abouth in Central Florida are you?

I haven't had any problems with it. It is completely adjustable, so you won't have to worry about being too low. I think the GC Kit is an awesome mod at a great price, I'd say go for it.

By the way, the reason I know all the prices is because I have done most of those mods, minus the rotors/pads and Maggie - but those will come soon enough I expect. :lildevil:

ronr
10-28-08, 02:47 PM
In my opinion:

Maggie = $5500

Total Mod Cost = $11000 + probably $2000-$3000 for install costs unless you will be doing most of this yourself. I did all my suspension mods (with a lot of help from another forum member) myself and it was not fun, but doable even without a lift.

For all of that you will have a car that most likely will outperform the new 2009 CTS-V and most corvettes as well. This would get you about 440 RWHP and 400+ RWTQ. Hope this helps.

Except for the rotors & headers that's almost exactly what I did. I'd add to the list a CAI. I did all my own installs.

RodSmith32
10-28-08, 03:22 PM
In my opinion:

Maggie = $5500

That sounds almost exactly like the mods I have done to my car :thumbsup:

PISNUOFF
10-28-08, 07:06 PM
In my opinion:

Maggie = $5500

If you're going to spend $1200 on FG2's and $550 on GC, you might as well get some real shocks and go with KW's or GC & QA1's. I'd also leave the Royal Purple out of the trans, I heard it causes premature death. One of the best mods has not been mentioned yet - Lightweight Flywheel!!!!!!

CTSV_Rob
10-29-08, 02:43 AM
:yeah:

I had the Royal Purple in the tranny and took it out after about 2000 miles and went to AmsOil. Shifts much better now.

C66 Racing
10-30-08, 11:53 PM
:yeah:

I had the Royal Purple in the tranny and took it out after about 2000 miles and went to AmsOil. Shifts much better now.

Out of curiosity, did you use the Universal ATF or the Torque Drive? Either way, glad to hear it worked out well for you.

As for the original poster, I'd keep my car stock, take it to a track day, get addicted, upgrade the car by adding oil cooler, track wheels, tires, new suspension, accusump then just cave and add a roll cage, tranny cooler, racing steering wheel, etc, etc, upgrade from driving it to the track to towing with the wife's SUV on an 18' open trailer to selling the wive's SUV and buying an F350, then upgrading to a GMC Sierra 3500HD then a GMC 5500 Kodiak RV then ditching the open trailer for a 28' enclosed racing trailer. Oh wait... I already did that with my Z06... and I think it cost more than $10k. I think I'll keep my CTS-V stock. :lol:

heavymetals
10-31-08, 12:35 AM
"I think I'll keep my CTS-V stock"

Might as well hang a blank canvas on the wall to stare at......:histeric:

randycsvt
10-31-08, 12:42 AM
Thinking about buying my 2006 CTS-V, it's at lease end.

What would you do performance-wise if you had around 10 grand to spend? Would you go for the Maggie or stay naturally aspirated and go with cam,intake, etc. I'm having trouble even finding much stuff available for my car. Any recommendations for where to look. I've tried a search and didn't see much for the 2006 V.

Any tuner recommendations in central Fl.

Final question. Is some clutch chatter normal for this car when you launch at low RPM (around 1000)? I had the clutch replaced under warranty and it still doesn't feel right to me. They resurfaced the flywheel also I believe.

Thanks!

I would recommend you go to James at Race Related for any work you need. He has great customer service, great prices, and a dyno. You can get tuning through race related. Race Related has its tuning done by Jeremy Formatto. He is supposed to be really good tuning LS motors. If you have any questions you can reach James through mafia-motorsports.com or call him at 727-561-9440. His shop is over in the clearwater area, but well worth the drive. This guy went above and beyond when helping me with some exhaust issues I was having.