: Gas Guzzler?

WOOCHOW
06-20-04, 12:08 PM
Greetings, first post here. Last weekend I test drove a 2004 "V" and came away quite impressed. The dealer was selling it at sticker and was giving me a reasonable but not outstanding trade-in value on my C5 Corvette. After thinking about the deal for a few days I figured that if I was going to pay full sticker that I might as well get a 2005 rather than a car that will be a model year old in a couple of weeks. In looking at pricing on the 2005, I see a $1,300.00 gas guzzler tax that wasn't there on the 2004. It is my understanding that the 2005 is unchanged. So why the gas guzzler tax now?
Thanks. You have a great forum!

StealthV
06-20-04, 12:16 PM
:welcome:
Check out this thread about GGT... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12942&highlight=gas+guzzler+tax

WOOCHOW
06-20-04, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the link. Now I understand. Maybe I can Negotiate some money off sticker on the "old" car. :want:

Cal
06-20-04, 02:34 PM
Good luck. Just check the VIN against the other threads regarding the oil temp reflash so you will know if it has the gauge errors out of the box. Dealers probalby aren't going to budge below sticker on the 04s since they are basically the same car. If you like burnouts and better handling with a SLIGHTLY stiffer rear end ride have your dealer put in the FG2. Their cost is only $960 or so, so maybe it's another negotiation tool to get more add-ons for less instead of a price break.

Just a thought. If you can get it below sticker god bless ya.

Oh, another difference is the antenna, which to me is a big deal. But for $170 + install you can get the new '05 digital sucker on your '04. Dealer may comp you that also.

miscreant
06-20-04, 04:49 PM
Greetings, first post here. Last weekend I test drove a 2004 "V" and came away quite impressed. The dealer was selling it at sticker and was giving me a reasonable but not outstanding trade-in value on my C5 Corvette. After thinking about the deal for a few days I figured that if I was going to pay full sticker that I might as well get a 2005 rather than a car that will be a model year old in a couple of weeks. In looking at pricing on the 2005, I see a $1,300.00 gas guzzler tax that wasn't there on the 2004. It is my understanding that the 2005 is unchanged. So why the gas guzzler tax now?
Thanks. You have a great forum!
Yes, there is a $1300 gas guzzler, but the base price of the car did not change from 2004 to 2005 (which is normally 1.5%). The in theory the 2005 V only went up about $550, that in mind I'd find one with FG2 from the factory and buy an 05.

WOOCHOW
06-21-04, 03:28 AM
Thanks again! I understand the FG2 and while I believe $1000 for shocks is a bit pricey, I would probably go for it. I need to do some research on the antennae however.