: 2000+ Northstars look different??

Seafunk99
10-26-08, 02:48 PM
I've seen pictures of 2000+ Northstars and noticed an abscence of plug wires...where did they go?

JimD
10-26-08, 03:13 PM
Welcome to coil on plug (COP) ignition.

Ranger
10-26-08, 05:28 PM
They went to join join their brother, the distributor.

codewize
10-26-08, 10:03 PM
LOL :histeric:

Submariner409
10-26-08, 11:05 PM
:horse:

I'm gonna get back on my soap box and repeat: BEFORE you ask a question on some Cadillac part, function, or repair, spend time doing homework in here !!!

Every question asked in every 1994 - 2004+ FWD Northstar forum in CF has been answered a tad less than a skrillion times. There are endless backtracks and explanations, including some as ludicrous as "Where is the oil filter ?" It's all in here somewhere. Does anyone take the time to read the Technical Archive at the top of the page, in the black bar ? That alone will answer half of the most obvious questions.

The sheer volume of diagrams, specs, pictures, how-to-do-its, and workarounds contained in these threads is a goldmine of experience. Learn how to access it all, and if you are still stumped, ask a question in the pertinent thread. (Would anyone hazard a guess as to how many threads contain the acronym "CKP" or the term "water pump belt"??)

Don't just blindly start a new thread in order to see your name in lights.....continue a thread on your subject so all can review past history.

Sheesh........!!

mythy
10-27-08, 03:41 AM
yea yea yea but i have YET to figure out what that box with the cable hooked to my THB is/does and searching so wont help! I tried...

Mystery box, Black box, Box with cable, Square Box, Ugly Box, Box with no name, and so on and so forth :D

Search that!!! :suspect:

Submariner409
10-27-08, 10:46 AM
Cruise Control motor/module ? (Black box with cable hooked to the TB ?)

Seafunk99
10-29-08, 08:47 PM
:horse:

I'm gonna get back on my soap box and repeat: BEFORE you ask a question on some Cadillac part, function, or repair, spend time doing homework in here !!!

Every question asked in every 1994 - 2004+ FWD Northstar forum in CF has been answered a tad less than a skrillion times. There are endless backtracks and explanations, including some as ludicrous as "Where is the oil filter ?" It's all in here somewhere. Does anyone take the time to read the Technical Archive at the top of the page, in the black bar ? That alone will answer half of the most obvious questions.

The sheer volume of diagrams, specs, pictures, how-to-do-its, and workarounds contained in these threads is a goldmine of experience. Learn how to access it all, and if you are still stumped, ask a question in the pertinent thread. (Would anyone hazard a guess as to how many threads contain the acronym "CKP" or the term "water pump belt"??)

Don't just blindly start a new thread in order to see your name in lights.....continue a thread on your subject so all can review past history.

Sheesh........!!

Haha, you kidding me??? Yes sir Captain internet!:rolleyes:

Hogg
11-07-08, 03:05 PM
I have heard this a lot on this forum, people with big post counts telling guys to search. If the repeated questions irritates you, simply do NOT respond. I do realize that hearing the SAME questions over and over can get old really fast, but unless you OWN the forum, take a deep breath and suck it up. I am here to learn and to help others, as this IS a public forum. Forums are for questions and answers and discussion.

I am almost afraid to ask a question on these forums as there are some pretty seemingly irritable folks here.

The stickies here are very specific in topic and the search feature doesnt get me the info I want. i will keep searching before I ask a question, as I am new here. I'm sure a lot of good stuff has gotten buried over the years.

Nice forum overall though. Must almost be a fulltime job to be a Moderator.

peace
Hog

Ranger
11-07-08, 03:42 PM
"Give a man fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you feed him for life". That is why we try to get people to search first. Most questions have been asked and answered many, many times over, but if you can't find what your are looking for, or still need help, please don't be afraid to ask. That's what we're here for.

Submariner409
11-07-08, 08:29 PM
Hog, Look at it from the flip side: The majority of Forum members with big post counts have generally imparted quite a bit of knowledge and they truly care about passing on their experiences. Very, very few lurk here to see big numbers, which, on the face value of things, may mean they have nothing to do with their time.

There are some who come here with legitimate, thought provoking diagnosis questions. There are those who come with a "I'm lazy and want it now".... line, and there are always those who come with a chip on their shoulder and want their cake and eat it too.

Where do you fit in the mix ??

ryannel2003
11-07-08, 10:13 PM
I've realized that the search function is probably one of the most useful things on this forum. For example, my car has a hard starting problem. Type that in, you'll get a list a mile long of solutions to help solve that. If I'm not sure exactly what my problem is, I make a new thread asking for help.

The majority of new threads on this forum deal with things that have been answered a million times. "My car has a rough idle, puffs white smoke, and overheats". If they put the word overheat in the search bar, they'd quickly realize they might have themselves a headgaskset problem. Rough idle could be a quite a few things, but the question has been answered quite a few times.

Trust me, I was in your shoes not so long ago. Once people told me to start searching the forums, I learned so much about these cars that when I start having issues, it makes it much easier to pinpoint what the problem is. I understand if people need to ask questions here, thats what people like Ranger and Sub and countless others are here for. But if the search bar was used more often, it would make it a whole lot easier for the new guys.

Hogg
11-08-08, 02:30 PM
RANGER- Thank you for the open invite to ask questions. There is a ton of good stuff on these forums.

ryannel2003-Yes I agree, I do agree, as a newcomer I really should search 1st before asking a question. I have not personally been told to search before asking, itw as just an observation from leafing through the forums.

submariner409- I was in no way trying to insult anyone, or imply that some of the folks with larger postcounts are here simply to "collect" numbers.
I was trying to empathize with the larger post count guys that it truly must be frustrating to see the same questions posted over and over. I know the feeling as I am very active on many automotive forums, and have been for years. It can be frustrating, but conversley very rewarding to help others that need it.
I am glad that there are lots of folks here that are sincere in there efforts to help others out. My comment were not entirely directed at you, just some observations in general.
I certainly hope that my 1st impressions are not of having a "chip" on my shoulders, if so thats not an accurate "diagnoses" of my inner self. My apologies if I was abrasive. I will try to add some thought provoking material to these Forums.

I searched for a good 4-5 hrs yesterday, and will do so again today. There is some very good stuff here.

Good day to you all.

peace
Hog

ryannel2003
11-08-08, 06:11 PM
Glad to see you understand Hogg. The knowledge on this forum is beyond what any one person could even comprehend, and even rivals some of the GM Tech's at my dealership. I myself spend a couple of hours a day searching around the forum to find more info about my STS. That way, when something bites the dust I'm not spend countless $$$ at my dealership to diagnose it.