: After Two BAWs, Still Sometimes Get a GC Clunk

rand49er
10-26-08, 02:18 PM
So, when I first installed my GC kit, I'd get that terrible clunk going over bumps in the road. It was embarrassing to say I drove a Cadillac.

Then, Mark Pfeffer (Feffman) suggested a fix to eliminate the clunk which involved putting one or two BAWs (that's Big-Ass Washers for those of you not familiar with car lingo :rolleyes:) on the top of the rear shock mounting points. This got rid of nearly all of the problem.

But, lately it seems, I'm still getting a clunk occasionally. Anybody else notice it? Did you add a third BAW? Did it finally eliminate ALL clunking?

Thanks, guys!

CTSV_Rob
10-26-08, 03:52 PM
BAW :lol:

I would like to consider myself a "car guy" but I haven't heard that one yet.

CTSV_Rob
10-26-08, 03:53 PM
Maybe try a BARI?

PISNUOFF
10-26-08, 04:05 PM
Randy - it's because the silly rubber washer has worn out below the shock mount. I just removed mine. Here is how to eliminate the clunk without using so many washers. Take the 2" long metal sleeve and cut about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off. I did this and it ultimately crushes the rubber in the shock mount just like the washers. I ended up cutting about 3/16" off the spacer and used 1 washer also just below the conical GC urethane spacer.

rand49er
10-26-08, 04:51 PM
Randy - it's because the silly rubber washer has worn out below the shock mount. I just removed mine. Here is how to eliminate the clunk without using so many washers. Take the 2" long metal sleeve and cut about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off. I did this and it ultimately crushes the rubber in the shock mount just like the washers. I ended up cutting about 3/16" off the spacer and used 1 washer also just below the conical GC urethane spacer.Hmm-m ... sounds like I gotta really roll up the ol' sleeves and take it way apart to do this? Guess I was hopin' for an easy way out of this one. It's gonna have to wait, then.

Thanks, PISN'. Much appreciated!

PISNUOFF
10-26-08, 07:12 PM
If the thin rubber washer is completely gone, you may be able to just tighten up the the nut on top of the shock. But if you've already got the seat out and the trunk side carpets off, you might as well remove the shocks and fix it right.

rand49er
10-26-08, 07:39 PM
... remove the shocks ...Those were the three words I didn't want to hear. :banghead:

Guess it's my age. :rolleyes:

PISNUOFF
10-26-08, 08:46 PM
Just think about TH the whole time and it'll fly by. She'll be on TV here shortly.:highfive:

mbiker97
10-26-08, 08:46 PM
Randy: That has been a problem on some other cars I deal with. Try another washer to eliminate the slop. I'll be home soon, and unemployed, so I'd be more then happy to fix it for you.

rand49er
10-26-08, 10:15 PM
... home soon, and unemployed ...Say it ain't so!

They can't sack you, you run that Hummer plant in Louisianna!

Tell me it's just temporary!

PISNUOFF
10-26-08, 10:21 PM
Me too, end of this month. How are they going to build Cobalts???

NormV
10-26-08, 10:37 PM
I thought I heard a real subtle clunk when I was sitting in the back seat while pulling out of the pits into hot pit out. Very difficult to hear though. :)

Norm

PISNUOFF
10-26-08, 10:45 PM
I thought I heard a real subtle clunk when I was sitting in the back seat while pulling out of the pits into hot pit out. Very difficult to hear though. :)

Norm

The clunk that is left in mine is from cutting the top edges of the subframe bushings when I installed the washers. After taking the washers out because they didn't do crap for my hop, the subframe really hits now.

Ferny
10-22-09, 09:27 PM
any body have pictures of these "BAW's"?

Den_93
10-22-09, 11:25 PM
Randy, did you do your own install? I got a set of GC that need to be installed!

thebigjimsho
10-23-09, 01:44 AM
C'mon! Removing rear shocks are soopa easy! Actually, find yourself a set of T2 shocks. The best way to figure out if your shocks are the source of the clunk. No nivomats, no spacers, no way to funk up the rear end.

Maybe I could loan mine out for troubleshooting...

rand49er
10-23-09, 08:16 AM
any body have pictures of these "BAW's"?Here's a pic before I put a second washer on. Someone else (Norm?) said to really tightened down on the nut, too, before you button it all back up.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/gcaddedwasher.jpg

Randy, did you do your own install? I got a set of GC that need to be installed!Yup, I did my own install. Been busy around here lately, so haven't been even on here much. As far as the install goes, it isn't difficult ... maybe a bit confusing since the instructions pretty much suck, but doable in under a day. I could pop by for a couple of hours during the week during the day (not on a Monday), but my leash doesn't go that far on weekends. When were you thinking?

Say, Mike isn't doing work on cars anymore ... at least, not on my car. :mad: I need to take someone for a ride and listen to my diff plus I've now got this pinion seal to install, and I've heard it requires some bodacious torque to get on and off. Maybe you could give a listen.

Den_93
10-23-09, 10:12 AM
Yeah, no problem I can listen to your winey diff. I am supposed to meet up with some another V owner from Lansing in the next couple of weeks, maybe you can meet us. I was thinking the outlet mall in Fowlerville. Yeah, Mike got a job and been pretty busy (call him up and ask for his dad #, he is retired, works on cars and has a lift too). Well my car is at Livernois getting a retune so it won't be this weekend (unless the finish it today). I might put the GC on in the spring.

rand49er
10-23-09, 02:08 PM
Fowlerville? Outlet mall? Heck that's just up the road from here. Who're you meeting ... the guy who has a motorcycle and used to be a cop or the guy that hates this forum 'cause we're too uppity?

Mike's dad lives near me, doesn't he? THAT would be very convenient. I might do that. My pinion seal is leaking like the Lusitania.

Twitch
10-24-09, 10:10 AM
Here's a pic before I put a second washer on. Someone else (Norm?) said to really tightened down on the nut, too, before you button it all back up.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/gcaddedwasher.jpg

When I did the install, I only had three washers that fit. Ended up with one washer on the drivers side,,,,and a clunk. When I re-did it, I added two washers to that side. At this point, I had my impact gun. Even with an extra washer, it had a lot more thread showing than the pass side. So I guess we cant get the nut tight enough with just hand tools.

thebigjimsho
10-24-09, 05:09 PM
When I did the install, I only had three washers that fit. Ended up with one washer on the drivers side,,,,and a clunk. When I re-did it, I added two washers to that side. At this point, I had my impact gun. Even with an extra washer, it had a lot more thread showing than the pass side. So I guess we cant get the nut tight enough with just hand tools.
That's weird...