: cylinder guide pin removal

IFD158
10-26-08, 08:43 AM
Im doing head gaskets on a 96 eldorado. Heads are off and block ready to be time serted. Im having trouble removing head guide pins to be able to re drill and tap block. ive soaked then with all kinds of sovent trying to loosen them up. tried slide hammer to no avail. any suggestions to remove these pins. ill buy new ones if i have to but just want to get them out. thanks

AJxtcman
10-26-08, 09:35 AM
I have covered this before. Let me take a look for it.

AJxtcman
10-26-08, 10:43 AM
Install a bolt into the pin. Clamp Vise Grips around it and try to turn the pin out using the bolt head.

I use a easy out. It has left handed threads. If you use a regular bolt turn it clockwise.

jeffrsmith
10-26-08, 11:46 AM
Install a bolt into the pin. Clamp Vise Grips around it and try to turn the pin out using the bolt head.

That worked for me when I did mine.

stoveguyy
10-26-08, 02:39 PM
use a drill bit or piece of rod a few thousands under the ID. than clamp onto the pin with a visegrip. use a flat bladed screwdriver under the visegrip to carefully pry up. its all about leverage. don't nick your block surface if you can help it.

IFD158
10-26-08, 06:15 PM
thanks to all who gave advise. i did try the bolt and vice grip trick and still couldnt get them to spin. Maybe ill try clamping down the vice grip some more. Maybe im close just need to tweek some things. Again thanks for the sugggestions, its appreciated.

jeffrsmith
10-26-08, 08:04 PM
You might try a little heat on the pin, then clamp down on it. I sprayed mine down with Kroil and left them for a day before I tried to get them out. When I said that the bolt and vice grips did the trick it wasn't without plenty of force. Actually I used the shank of the drill that came with my Norm's Insert kit, I had to adjust the vice grips several times to keep them from slipping. In the end I got them out but I messed the pins up real good and had to go to the dealer to buy new ones (not expensive but pricey for what they are, they were like $7 a piece). Don't be afraid to lean into it, just be careful whatever you do not to mar the block deck surface.

97EldoCoupe
10-26-08, 10:07 PM
If you have access to a mig welder, this is how I do it. VERY carefully, with the entire block covered/taped up, all oil drainbacks plugged, weld short pieces of 1/2" threaded rod inside the alignment pins. Place a short piece of pipe that is taller than the alignment pins (3/4" diameter roughly, depends on what you have available) over the threaded rod, so the threaded rod sticks out approx. a 1/2 inch over the top of the pipe. place a large washer with a 1/2" hole over the pipe and threaded rod. This is now an "alignment pin puller." use a 1/2 inch nut and a 3/4" wrench and just tighten the nut. The pin pulls out with no hesitations, and no damage to the block. It's quick and painless- just make sure your welding sparks don't get in the cylinders, oil passages, or coolant passages.

It might take a few minutes to set up, but the pins come out without chisels, easy-outs, or vise-grips. They're in there pretty tight sometimes.

97EldoCoupe
10-26-08, 10:08 PM
And use as little weld as possible so the heat won't damage the block.

jeffrsmith
10-27-08, 09:39 PM
If you have access to a mig welder, this is how I do it. VERY carefully, with the entire block covered/taped up, all oil drainbacks plugged, weld short pieces of 1/2" threaded rod inside the alignment pins. Place a short piece of pipe that is taller than the alignment pins (3/4" diameter roughly, depends on what you have available) over the threaded rod, so the threaded rod sticks out approx. a 1/2 inch over the top of the pipe. place a large washer with a 1/2" hole over the pipe and threaded rod. This is now an "alignment pin puller." use a 1/2 inch nut and a 3/4" wrench and just tighten the nut. The pin pulls out with no hesitations, and no damage to the block. It's quick and painless- just make sure your welding sparks don't get in the cylinders, oil passages, or coolant passages.

It might take a few minutes to set up, but the pins come out without chisels, easy-outs, or vise-grips. They're in there pretty tight sometimes.

:thumbsup: That is a very nifty way of doing it! That is what I like about forums like this, you learn all kinds of neat ways to do things. I wish I could think up stuff like that.

IFD158
10-28-08, 07:51 PM
97 eldocoupe. thanks for your great tip. i had a mig welder but never thought of trying that. great way to improvise. It worked very well. 3 out 4 went smooth. the fourth one was my first attempt to remove with vice grips etc. it was all buggered up but i was able to grind it out from the inside using a dremel tool to weakin the wall and then just pryed it out. thanks again for the help. Patrick