: White Diamond color variation

UltraDresser
10-25-08, 07:49 PM
Is it normal for the lower composite door panels to vary in color from the painted sheet metal? The ESV I am looking at has this. It seems to be consistent on all four doors. Is it something that happens over time due to the different material? Or is that the way it comes from factory?

Cirefly
10-25-08, 09:19 PM
Is it normal for the lower composite door panels to vary in color from the painted sheet metal? The ESV I am looking at has this. It seems to be consistent on all four doors. Is it something that happens over time due to the different material? Or is that the way it comes from factory?

It's perfectly normal. You'll notice in different light that those don't match, the plastic around the door handles don't match, the hood/fenders usually contrast, the handle on the rear hatch is very noticeably different too. Best to get used to it - it's never perfect. Different lighting can make it better or worse.

Also, be forewarned that if you ever need paint work you can't just paint a fender or a door - you have to blend like crazy into one or two other body panels. Novice painters don't do this and it looks like HELL. Make sure you pick someone competent if you ever have the need for paint work.

You'll learn to love it :)

Spittin Game
10-25-08, 09:53 PM
It has to do with the pearl in the paint. Sucks, but theres nothing you can do about it.

KillerB
10-29-08, 05:45 PM
Also, all of the components are painted in different locations: Bumpers, side claddings, door handles, rear hatch. The only thing that is painted at the assembly plant is the body. Everything else is delivered to the assembly plant from outside suppliers. I have noticed that GM doesn't have very strict tolerances on the paint color match, or paint quality (feel your front bumper, the outside is very rough compared to the center, lack of clearcoat). I work for a company that produces the bumpers and fenders for the BMW X5 & X6. We also do some components for GM. It is amazing how close the color matches from our facility to BMW, and they are strict. GM usually says that it is close enough. Unfortunate, but true.

B

hcvone
10-30-08, 09:48 AM
As said many of the palstic body parts are painted at a different time and location vs the main truck, what you are seeing is normal, well normal for car manufacturers. ;)

Cirefly
10-30-08, 11:23 AM
The paint cures to plastic differently than metal, too - so those parts always look jacked up on metallic painted vehicles. Take notice of Acura's version of White Diamond. The bumpers never match. Once you get over it life is really grand :)

I will say though that GM seems to be the worst of the bunch as KillerB pointed out and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.