: Thinking about trading to a V

VDreamin
10-25-08, 11:21 AM
I've never owned a car in over 10 years of driving; I've always had a 4X4 truck, which is what I have now (crew cab GMC Sierra) but my wife and I just moved and we have a newborn baby. I'm commuting 30+ miles one way each day and my pickup is guzzling around 13mpg on the highway (at speed). Anyway, I'm a huge caddy fan - my wife had a 2003 cts and she now drives an SRX V8AWD and I love it. I drove her car the other day and it's just so much easier getting through traffic, getting around town, parking, highway cruising, etc. I've also been drooling over the V's since they came out in '04. I always fantisized about her 3.2 cts having the v package, but it was only half the car, or engine anyway. My logic (somewhat skewed) is that I can do this and save gas and still have room for a car seat if need be without feeling like I just got my manhood taken away. Before anyone tells me to compare costs; I have. I compared keeping my truck for 5 years at 13mpg and analyzed fuel expense from $2.50/gal up to $4.00/gal and did the same for the car assuming 25mpg. The comparison, including the cost of the vehicle over 5 years is breakeven if gas stays $2.50/gal for the whole 5 years. If it's at $4.00/gal, I save over $10,000 over 5 years with the car.

Questions - I hear the cars are torquey, so my logic says the wife should be able to drive this stick fairly easily. Am I correct?

Highway mileage? 24? 25? Interstate cruising @ 75 - 80MPH?

DVD - what's up with it? is it in the nav? Can you only watch while in park?

Common problems and headaches? Is there a certain year to avoid? I'm looking at a 2005.

Carseat? Shouldn't be an issue should it?

Tires - ain't cheap are they? what are they? $300/ea? How long do they last?

Most of all - anyone else been in my situation?

Lord Cadillac
10-25-08, 01:05 PM
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up.. For some instant answers to your questions, try using the search feature. I know some of this has been discussed before. I'll let others chime in as I don't own a CTS-V...

smackdaddy
10-25-08, 01:20 PM
torque, yes lots of it, easy to drive

carseat- no problems at all, plus I set up the exit position of the seat to move forward so that once I get out I punch the exit seat button and the seat slides forward which gives me lots of room to get junior out of the car seat in the back then when I get back in just punch the driver position memory and it moves right back to where it was. nice feature!

tires can be cheaper if you pick up a spare and jack to go in the trunk and then you can run non-runflats

gas milage I am not the best person to ask as I have too many mods and only drive around town with very little highway miles

DVD never used it, can't comment

CTSV_510
10-25-08, 01:32 PM
Everything smackdaddy said + yes, you can override the DVD player to play while you're driving. I use it frequently on longer rides when I have my 4-year old in the carseat. If you need a backseat, it doesn't get any better than this!

rand49er
10-25-08, 02:39 PM
A stock V can get 26 MPG at a steady 70 MPH ... I've done it.

HOWEVER, don't figure on it. For a variety of reasons, better figure 20 MPG overall and that's if you (can) drive it gently. Still better than 13 MPG, I suppose, even considering premium vs regular. And, we haven't even mentioned the vast improvement in handling you'll experience.

As far as a carseat, join the crowd. Probably why 80% of us have a V instead of something with fewer doors. As suggested above, do the spare tire/jack route, and tires will be far more reasonable.

Finally, make sure you have an '06 diff (most do, but check anyway) and don't do any side-stepping of the clutch or you'll wish you had your truck back.

Lots of great deals on a V out there. Good luck!

heavymetals
10-25-08, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't buy it under the illusion of better mileage. :stirpot:

tmwfla
10-25-08, 03:23 PM
+1 on the gas mileage illusion.
You'll probably average better MPG than your truck...but I wouldn't bank my main decision to buy the car on that point. I'd treat that particular point as gravy if it happens. I only drive about 2 miles to work but still average about 15MPG. I've seen 23 on the highway at about 80MPH.
All the other points you mention in your OP are pretty much right on.

RightTurn
10-25-08, 03:29 PM
Do you ever use your truck as an actual truck?? :D You might miss the hauling ability...though you will be able to "haul it". :lol: Good luck with your decision.

814V
10-25-08, 03:30 PM
I was in a similar situation with my truck and I got my V and never looked back!

VDreamin
10-25-08, 04:23 PM
I live in the Southeast, so I'm an "outdoorsman" which is why I like having a truck; however, most of my outdoor activities have a jumping off point where I can get on a 4-wheeler that is already parked in a garage or I can access them directly from family land (park the car at the house and walk) or I can simply ride with a buddy which I do 1/2 the time anyway. I haul stuff for the house occasionally but I have several friends and relatives within 5 miles of where we're living now and they all have trucks and suvs. I have used the truck for farm work some as well, but like I said, several trucks around, including a farm truck on the farm. In other words, for the 5-10 times a year that I NEED at truck, I can borrow one. I also thought about putting a reciever hitch on the wife's SRX to haul a small 5X8 trailer for flowers, lumber, etc. (light loads)

Okay, I've heard 24 - 27mpg is not unheard of on the interstate, cruise set @ 75mph. Sounds like there might be some truth to it.

Confused on the spare/jack thing. Please elaborate...

Side stepping the clutch? You mean shifting without using the clutch?

VDreamin
10-25-08, 04:25 PM
just figured out the spare/jack thing - I assume they don't come with a spare?

groverdill
10-25-08, 04:31 PM
nope no spares.

rand49er
10-25-08, 04:36 PM
No spare.

Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (their phone no. is over here) and order the jack/tub kit and get a cheap wheel (if you can find one) with a used tire.

VDreamin
10-25-08, 04:40 PM
How do you modify the nav to play the dvd while moving?

Factory exhaust - will it turn heads in the parking lot at work? I don't want to be flashy. Just a sleeper. Don't want people thinking I bought a "frivilous" car, just a used "compact" caddy.

Also, someone talked about the 06 differential? Was this a recall?

Tires? how much do the non runflats run?

clutch sidestepping I assume means speedshifting and not using the clutch?

heavymetals
10-25-08, 05:16 PM
Please use the search (it's your friend) also visit here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

(Reed's site).

tmwfla
10-25-08, 05:28 PM
Search is good...unless you don't have 45 mins to read pages and pages to find the one line for your answer. LOL
Anyway, the rears were not a recall, but when they break (the main "look out" item for you), they were replaced with the slightly updated '06 (correct me if I'm wrong).
Tires can be cheap. Some will roast me on this, but I buy fairly cheap tires because I'm not a very aggressive driver. The last set I bought at discount tire cost around $600 for the set. I DON'T have a spare though, so that's a little scary. I DO have roadside assistance.
I haven't heard a stock V exhaust, but mine has the Corsa and it sounds good. It does get a little attention, but not too bad unless I'm opening it up. I've had comments on the volume when I'm running it out a bit.

Mika
10-25-08, 05:45 PM
When they say sidestepping, they mean launching. What you do is get the revs up, release the clutch and take your foot off the clutch and slide it to the side(hence, sidestepping). It's good for performance, bad for the rear diff as a lot of torque is put through there, and its the drivetrain's weakest link. It's a common known issue on V's.

Mika

heavymetals
10-25-08, 05:50 PM
Sidestepping = clutch dump

Not good on a V. :tisk:

rjoffe
10-25-08, 06:19 PM
I have done some long commutes in my V, and I rarely exceed 21 MPG. It is stock. However at 55 I did get close to 28, but you will never keep out of the throttle on this car (you just can't)

Make sure you get an extended warranty. From GM! That means getting one with factory warranty left, and adding the GM extended before the original runs out. The diffs are a failure point if you drive it hard (and you will drive it hard :) ). The warranty will come in handy.

Car seats are no problem, I have two in mine.

Tires, you can go anywhere from $125 each to over $400, I stick to a F1 Asymmetric which is in the middle of the range.

You will love this ride, and so will your wife, if she can drive stick (any stick) she should be fine in this car. In my opinion it is a very giving and easy to drive clutch, the shifter takes a bit getting used to.

VDreamin
10-25-08, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get one that's either certified or get my local dealer to find one and certify it for me. The wife's SRX is certified and that 100mi. bumper to bumper warranty is where it's at.

As for the clutch dumping - glad to know, but most likely will not be doing that. I'll at least let the clutch out, then peg the throttle.:yup::D

rlj5
10-26-08, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the forum,
Good luck on the V you find

:bancha:

rekctsv
10-26-08, 05:44 PM
Where are you from in the southeast?
You sound like a lot of people I know, never owning a car just pickups. After learning what my V series was, two friends went and bought Corvettes as their first cars.

mbiker97
10-26-08, 08:49 PM
I went the other way. Bought a V, and then a year and a half later bought a truck.

Every time I walk out to my V a smile grows on my face. If that's not love I don't know what love is.

VDreamin
10-26-08, 11:30 PM
I'm only about an hour from Memphis, TN. Pickups are abundant down here, but I've always loved cars. I've actually always wanted a Bimmer, but after my wife's '03 cts and seeing friends and family deal with service issues on their Bimmer (Memphis is closest dealer), I'm all about the CTS. There's a caddy dealer close to almost every town, the warranty is awesome, and the thing drives as close to a Bimmer as anything out there.

I love my truck, but it pains me to pull up to the pump every few days and slam 22 gallons in it and only get ~14mpg on a good day with a tail wind. I could pay less for gas and enjoy the whole driving experience a lot more, plus still have a fun car.

Mbiker97 - you say you still love the car, right? I think I'd be the same way. I have a buddy with a '06 Mustang GT with a supercharger. I'd like to put the V against it. Any clue which would be faster?

By the way, I've never driven a V. Only the v-6. I guess I'm in for a treat?

heavymetals
10-27-08, 02:28 AM
You have no idea of what your in for......

rand49er
10-27-08, 07:25 AM
... I have a buddy with a '06 Mustang GT with a supercharger. I'd like to put the V against it. Any clue which would be faster?

By the way, I've never driven a V. ...That Mustang doesn't weigh very much (i.e. you'd probably lose) not to mention you'd be asking for problems with the differential if you drive the V that way.

You haven't driven a V?!! You're in for a treat.

B-1 Buddha
10-27-08, 08:42 AM
The answer to the DVD question is on the FAQ, here (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dvdmotion.html).

I have three kids, and a 15" drop-down DVD screen in my wife's minivan, but for some reason the kids would rather sit across the back, crane their heads together like this //||\\ and watch movies in the V. Must be the better ride. :cool:

VDreamin
10-30-08, 12:04 AM
Finally drove a V this week. Man, that sure was nice! The wife even drove it (only driven a manual 2 or 3 times 10 years ago!) and got the hang of it in a couple of minutes. Easy car to drive. I did notice that shifting was a little notchy and hard to find the right gear if you're not used to it. Anyway, hwy cruise in what I thought was 6th was 2200 rpm. Got to thinking about it later, called the dealer, they went out on the highway and it ran 1400 rpm in 6th at 75mph. I thought something was wrong...I was in 4th. Glad I thought of it and called them to verify. Anyway, nice car, not at all like I thought it would be. I thought it'd be hard to keep between the ditches, but it was suprisingly smooth and well mannered. It actually rode smoother than the wife's old '03 cts v6 w/sport package. I still haven't figured that one out yet. Her rear suspension would jar your teeth out on square edged bumps.

Anybody rag you guys about driving one of these or are they pretty much sleepers with the general public?

814V
10-30-08, 01:14 AM
Anybody rag you guys about driving one of these or are they pretty much sleepers with the general public?

pretty much sleepers i would say. every now and then i will run into someone who knows what it is but thats pretty rare

Ak Jim
10-30-08, 02:56 AM
The V really has two personalities you can drive it easy and it is an excellent luxury car or you get on it and it turns into a real monster.

tmwfla
10-30-08, 11:35 PM
Those RPMs seem awfully low for 75mph in 6th.

atdeneve
10-31-08, 07:04 AM
Yeah, 1400 rpm is more like 50/55 mph in 6th.

You were likely right the first time - 2200 rpm at 75 mph is probably spot on.

trukk
11-03-08, 01:25 PM
I know it's already been said, but with my mods I can average 33 mpg at 60 mph in 6th. With that said, I commute 80 miles per day, and average aroun 18 mpg, because it's just too hard to force yourself to drive the car slow.

Good luck.

-Chris