: Is it a Focus, no no Its a Camry, wait haha its a Passat!

majax
06-20-04, 02:51 AM
I was sitting at Quiznos today(mmm toasty) and i could see a Toyota Camry just outside the window next to me parked by my Seville. And it dawned on me the Ford focus looks like a smaller version of the Toyota Camry in every aspect almost(usually its ford who steals) But the current Camry came out in 2002 and the Focus has been around longer. Now to quote my good friends opinion, he says toyata, nissan, and some other companies changed their light assemblies to look more like the VW Passat(he has one and i like it). I am still a little skepticle about his opinion because cars look like cars and the Passat has very conventional good looking style. Anyways tell me what you think of this possible copying game goin on in the auto industry. Also your opinion on the Focus/Camry.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Ford/100002533/003823-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Toyota/100003103/010268-E.jpg

ben72227
06-20-04, 02:57 AM
Id say it looks like a copy, but im sure that toyota didn't copy the focus' shitty performance. Id never get a focus or any ford for that matter...except maybe that new mustang....

Jesda
06-20-04, 07:04 AM
The last-generation Focus is tight and nimble, overall a hoot to drive. The latest one (rented a new one) feels cheap, is boring inside, and terribly loud at 60mph.

The Camry and Corolla are actually based on the Lexus ES330's design theme.

-Jesda

Caddy Man
06-20-04, 12:21 PM
i dont see the resemblence at all...if you want to get that specific, i can find many cars that look as if they copied off another car.

LacSeville
06-20-04, 09:29 PM
i was thinking that new scion car (don't remember the model Xbca or whatever they call em by) looks like a slicker altima. i can see resemblance in all those cars you mentioned tho.

Msilva954
06-20-04, 10:05 PM
It looks as though Toyota just stretched the whole car and smoothed out the edges...it has the same "Family" designed layout as the Focus/Passat/Ford 500/many other lame family cars.

The Focus is a great little car....the Camry is just a good car that gets great ratings by the slackers at Consumers guide(which gives me an idea for a new thread)....but in reality no one ever says the BIG problems that these Toyotas get into w/there 3.0/3.3 engine.

majax
06-21-04, 05:01 PM
Yeah i bet the Focus aint bad, I hear there are people sayin they are fast(which they arent really). My neigboor just bought one and just the other day she almost hit my STS with it.

Msilva954
06-21-04, 06:17 PM
They arent fast at all, but I enjoy renting them all the time, they are what I would call "zippy" in a Mazda Miata sort of way.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-21-04, 10:59 PM
"but in reality no one ever says the BIG problems that these Toyotas get into w/there 3.0/3.3 engine."

i dunno so much anymore , a few years ago they were terrible , yet another headgasket eater . buddy of mine was a service writer for a dealer , he says the fix was to put the new gasket in upside down (left on right bank right on left bank). apprently the alumium didnt play nicely with the stock gasket setup

anymore everying is starting to look the same , but this happens ,look at how people shift around in the design world , one guy started at volkswagen and ended up at ford to run the show for the design work being done , his name is J-Mays whoose 2 most noted projects were the new beetle and the retro ford t bird, we got interior guys from audi working at GM now . so its no wonder we see similar designs

basicly you have the same perosn with the same eyes for design now getting a paycheck from someone else based on the work he did for so and so on such and such

Msilva954
06-22-04, 06:51 AM
JMAYS does get alot more freedom at Ford though, VW didnt really treat him like the great designer he is.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-22-04, 06:21 PM
thats for sure , every one of the "living legends" series is very interesting , i cant wait for the retro of the 70s Ford Capri that keeps getting mentioned by ford of europe

Msilva954
06-22-04, 07:31 PM
Yea thatll be great, I cant see Ford getting rid of Mays in the near future at all, they seem to have merged together now and he is Ford and Ford is JMays. I like that, I think most car companys need to have a named designer like BMW and Ford,But Ford and JMays do it much better when it comes to actual designs.