: Remove OnStar antenna on '04

T.O. V
10-24-08, 12:31 AM
Has anyone removed the OnStar antenna on an '04? Not just the antenna, but the window mount, as well. (I have no use for the service and would like to clear my rear window.)

Thanks,

T.O. V

JonCR96Z
10-24-08, 12:45 AM
Just slide a knife or a razor blade under it while pulling it off, then scrape the remnants off. Takes 5 minutes.

DRKSIDE
10-24-08, 01:08 AM
Yup - what he said. I removed mine when I got the windows tinted. It is just held on with adhesive tape. No holes in the window, the signal passes from transmitter to sensor through the glass.

Jon
10-24-08, 01:15 AM
I took mine off and put it inside the car. Replaced the big antenna with a shorty antenna and then velcroed the whole thing inside. You can't see it anymore.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
10-24-08, 02:10 AM
Mine randomly fell off of the inside window a month or so ago. A little before I planned, but oh well. :)

ctsv154
10-24-08, 02:51 AM
my windows were already tinted so I cant remove mine without having a hole in the tint : (

Max-Q
10-24-08, 10:15 AM
my windows were already tinted so I cant remove mine without having a hole in the tint : (

Sucks but you can still remove the one on the outside.

After I removed mine I just tucked the wire behind the wing panel.

lollygagger8
10-24-08, 10:22 AM
You mean I can take my Miami Vice antenna off my window with NO holes in the rear windshield?!

CadiBlk
10-24-08, 10:47 AM
You mean I can take my Miami Vice antenna off my window with NO holes in the rear windshield?!

I thought the 04s came with CB radios and needed those antennas to communicate with Homebase to check with Swamp Fox to get the 10-4 on zero Smokeys.

ss1818
10-24-08, 12:23 PM
Is the OnStar antenna on the back windshield? I thought that antenna was for GPS/navigation system. It's the small black antenna coiled in the middle with a mating piece on the inside with a wire to it. OnStar or Navi antenna?

LV_V
10-24-08, 01:28 PM
I thought the 04s came with CB radios and needed those antennas to communicate with Homebase to check with Swamp Fox to get the 10-4 on zero Smokeys.
You got it! :cool2:

10-4

I actually removed my exterior antenna 2+ years ago. Its so f'ing tacky I can't believe it was even on there from the factory.

lollygagger8
10-24-08, 01:28 PM

Breaker Breaker, did I hear a 9'R in there? :lol:

Seriously, if I just razorblade underneath the antenna it will come off and there's no holes in the windsheild? I want to take the Smokey and the Bandit BS antenna off too!

stuckey
10-24-08, 01:30 PM
Breaker Breaker, did I hear a 9'R in there? :lol:

Seriously, if I just razorblade underneath the antenna it will come off and there's no holes in the windsheild? I want to take the Smokey and the Bandit BS antenna off too!

yep thats all there is to it. It's your ONstar antenna so I would suggest removing it and placing it in the back deck and hooking it back up.

tedcmiller
10-24-08, 01:39 PM
The OnStar and cellular phone antenna is the one on the rear window. The XM antenna is in the black plastic blob on the roof. The AM/FM antenna is implemented as two parts of foil in the front and rear windows. The GPS antenna (Nav unit) is under the dash board. Before your remove the OnStar/Cell phone antenna, consider the desires of someone who might be next owner of your vehicle.

In any case, since OnStar operates through the cell phone, assuming the '04 system has not be upgraded to digital, the cellular transceiver ('04s had analog-only transceivers) must be exchanged for a new digital transceiver.

lollygagger8
10-24-08, 01:56 PM
I'll take it off from the outside, and reconnect it to the inside cord and just lay it back there on the back deck. If they both are two sided tape, shouldn't I be able to just adhere them together?

It's small enough that nobody should notice it. You won't be able ot see it from the outside with my 20% tint anyways. :lildevil:

Bigron
10-24-08, 02:04 PM
I figured mine was from an old cell phone kit, so mine came off the day I bought it.
I found out after what it was but I don't use onstar anyways.

thebigjimsho
10-25-08, 03:04 AM
Sorry guys, but I love the unique look of the '04. Just an outward sign showing who knew what, first. An original owner hurr!

OldRoadDawg
10-25-08, 09:43 AM
Sorry guys, but I love the unique look of the '04. Just an outward sign showing who knew what, first. An original owner hurr!
I agree withya Jim... to a point. I figure our smaller XM antenna singles out the '04, but the dorky On-Star antenna had to go.

JonCR96Z
10-25-08, 11:40 PM
I agree withya Jim... to a point. I figure our smaller XM antenna singles out the '04, but the dorky On-Star antenna had to go.

Smaller XM antennas mean less weight, which also make the 04s a little faster.

OldRoadDawg
10-26-08, 09:51 AM
Smaller XM antennas mean less weight, which also make the 04s a little faster.
I like the way you think :thumbsup:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
10-26-08, 06:42 PM
And lower CG. :)

T.O. V
10-27-08, 03:44 PM
Just slide a knife or a razor blade under it while pulling it off, then scrape the remnants off. Takes 5 minutes.

Thanks for advice. Man, that was easy. What an improvement - I concur with all the comments about the CB look.