: HELP! 93 FWB trying to do the buick cd conversion

Extrodnry25
10-23-08, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, so i was trying to do the change over with the newer buick cd player since mine just had the stock tape player, but since my amp is in the trunk i was wondering it this is totally hopeless, i ripped everything apart before i realized this. i saw a link from caddycruiser about this issue and he suggested this wiring harness but i cant post the links for that or the post i got the idea from as i am i new member. ANY help would be great Thanks!

csbuckn
10-23-08, 10:19 PM
If the buick radio does NOT have an external amp, buy the aftermarket harness for the brougham that bypasses the external amp and get the harness that connects to the buick radio and hardwire it.

If the buick DOES have an external amp, hardwire the buick radio in with the external amp by testing each wire or find a wire guide to help you.

Extrodnry25
10-23-08, 11:38 PM
Im 99% sure the buick cd has an internal amp....so im taking the wires that would run into the amp and taking them out of it....then running those up 2 the dash for the buick cd?

My_favorite_Brougham
10-24-08, 01:34 AM
Nope, there's no external amp. You just spice two harnesses together to go directly from the radio unit to the standard GM plug. Then plug in you antenna coax. The issue on a newer Brougham is that the antenna coax hooked into the amp in the trunk region. You will have to get some type of extension cord, so you can plug it into the radio at the dash.

I posted a whole lot in this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/117313-looking-factory-cd-player-91-brougham.html

It will turn out well:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x141/Shutterbug668/00043.jpg

In the newer Brougham, you can put the Roadmaster A/C controls in too. So you could do that to have a uniform look. That's what I'll do if/when I get a 95/96 Brougham. Those Buick radios are just a whole lost nicer than the stock Cadillac radios.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Greg

csbuckn
10-24-08, 01:39 AM
that looks nice, does it play burned cds?

Extrodnry25
10-24-08, 09:30 AM

Extrodnry25
10-24-08, 09:31 AM
hey greg thanks for ur info, but i was wondering if you mean i dont USE the external amp or it doesnt have one at all....because i def seem to have one in the trunk. basically ur saying i bypass the old amp in the trunk and run all those wires up to the dash and then splice those into the buick harness? ive never done this type of thing before so sorry if i seem totally lost here lol

My_favorite_Brougham
10-24-08, 01:10 PM
Yes, it will play CD-r discs.

And yes, you will bypass the stock external amp since the Buick radio already has one. You can take the stock amp out if you like, but you won't be using it or supplying power to it. In fact, there's no way to plug it into the Buick radio because it's harness is for tuning and display controls only.

Best

csbuckn
10-25-08, 01:22 AM
buy the aftermarket harness for the brougham that bypasses the external amp and get the harness that connects to the buick radio and hardwire it.