: Synthetic Oil Questions

Caddydude420
10-23-08, 04:03 PM
I know the recommended interval is 3000 miles for regular oil and 5000 for synthetic. I read some of the posts and know the oil monitor on GM vehicles is one of their engineering masterpieces. You can go 2 full gas tanks (about 600 miles) before you can cause harm to the engine.

I've used Mobile 1 synthetic for the last several oil changes. The oil life just reached 0%, but it's only 3700 miles on the change. Do I ignore it and go closer to 5k miles because I used synthetic or does the oil life monitor take that into consideration?

ESCALADOR
10-23-08, 04:20 PM
You will probably get different reponses to this question as this was discussed just recently and everybody had there own take.

Here is my take, I use Mobil 1 syn in my 05 and usually change it within 6-7000 miles. Some people say that it is a waste to use synthetic stating that it is rated for 12-15000 miles between changes, I will stick with my method.

I am pretty sure the oil life monitor does not know you are using synthetic....

Spittin Game
10-23-08, 06:29 PM
Synthetic you can go from 12-15,000 miles before you actually need an oil change. Changing it before that is totally up to you though.

And the oil life monitor in your truck is based off of regular oil at a 3,000 mile change interval. Some people have said that when they are using Synthetic, they just reset the oil monitor once it hits zero and change it once its at 0 for the second or third time.

fierodough
10-24-08, 09:20 AM
Here is my take on this... Cadillac warranty covers all maintenance on the trucks and cars. Most (if not all) Cadillacs sold use synthetic, not so much to preserve the engine, but to extend the time between oil changes to save on the warranty cost. Who can blame them?

But here lies my question... Why did they not do this with the Escalade? Why do they recommend regular oil in the Escalade and Synthetic in everything else they carry? this is what we should be asking ourselves. It could be something as simple as oil capacity. finance dept calculated that it would be more cost effective to use regular oil? Or is it more complicated then that? What if our engines are prone to leaving contaminants in the oil? requiring more frequent changes?

In my opinion, if synthetic helps you sleep better at night, go for it. But I would change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer regardless of what you dump in there.

Spittin Game
10-24-08, 09:53 PM
Here is my take on this... Cadillac warranty covers all maintenance on the trucks and cars. Most (if not all) Cadillacs sold use synthetic, not so much to preserve the engine, but to extend the time between oil changes to save on the warranty cost. Who can blame them?

In my opinion, if synthetic helps you sleep better at night, go for it. But I would change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer regardless of what you dump in there.

What do you mean the warranty covers all maintenance? My Escalade the maintenance was up to me, the dealer didnt do anything for free.

Just because its recommended, doesnt mean its better. If Cadillac recommended you use some horrible OEM tires on your car, would you always put those on? No, you would go with a better tire that rides and handles better.

Do you have to use synthetic? Nope. But if its better and you have to change your oil less with it, why not.

fierodough
10-25-08, 09:21 AM
Do you have to use synthetic? Nope. But if its better and you have to change your oil less with it, why not.

I"m not arguing with you about the quality of synthetic oil. I agree that it's better. Viscosity is consistent.

I have no idea when it started, but my Escalade is covered for all maintenance for 80000 Km or 4 years. This includes tuneups, oil changes ect... Free! (well not really free, Cadillacs are expensive!)

I know that GM like to hold on to every penny it can. This is why the CT'S, DTS, SRX etc all use synthetic oil to save on the amount of oil changes (including labor) that the warranty covers.

Why did they not do this with the Escalade? why did they dicide that it would be worth it to have the truck come in more frequently at their expense to have the oil changed?

PS: I'm not arguing, I'm asking the question.

Cheers!
Eric

Rolex
10-25-08, 11:55 AM
Fierodough:
If you have "free service" you probably got it as an incentive when you purchased the vehicle. That's a special your dealership offered (or offers) but not GM. There are several auto dealers in my area that advertise all kinds of free things to draw in potential buyers: free car washes for the life of the vehicle, free oil changes for the life of the vehicle, etc. There's even a dealer that's advertising a special on their truck; if you buy a new truck they GIVE you a free car.

OP:
You will get all kinds of opinions on "which oil is best." The topic has been done to death here. Here's my 2 cents: if you use regular dino oil in your vehicle change it every 3 months or 3500 miles. If you run synthetic oil in your vehicle change it half as often: 6 months or 7000 miles. This will offset the additional cost of the synthetic oil. I've heard an educated argument that synthetics maintain their lubricity better and much longer then conventional dino oil, and changing them more often is just throwing money down the drain.

You could just go with what your dealership's service writer recommends, but I find their opinions vary just as much as the general public's.

Patrick7997
10-25-08, 12:54 PM
My understanding is that the Oil Life Index in the Cadillac has an algorithm in it that takes into account engine temps, driving style, etc....

So, while it does NOT know that you are running synthetic, it DOES know that you were pulling a trailer, or standing on it going uphill, or whatever...

Also, just a thought, I'd be curious if you forgot to reset the OLM after your last oil change.....??? Maybe??? Mine typically is at 55-59% when I change after 3000 miles.... which would roughly be another 3700??? Just wondering...

Since My OLM is always showing so much life left, if it suddenly dropped to zero, I think I would change the oil immediately, see what it looked like.... I think I'd be curious to know...

In general, I am pretty much in agreement with Rolex... 3000 for conventional, 5000 for synthetic... and every 6 months no matter what. If you don't drive enough, you should still change it....

It's been said a million times: Oil is cheap insurance.

Spittin Game
10-25-08, 04:51 PM
I have no idea when it started, but my Escalade is covered for all maintenance for 80000 Km or 4 years. This includes tuneups, oil changes ect... Free! (well not really free, Cadillacs are expensive!)

If your getting everything free, then screw it, let the dealer put in regular every 3,000 miles. I wish I had free services for the length of the warranty on my cars.:cool:

fierodough
10-26-08, 10:00 AM
Fierodough:
If you have "free service" you probably got it as an incentive when you purchased the vehicle. That's a special your dealership offered (or offers) but not GM. There are several auto dealers in my area that advertise all kinds of free things to draw in potential buyers: free car washes for the life of the vehicle, free oil changes for the life of the vehicle, etc. There's even a dealer that's advertising a special on their truck; if you buy a new truck they GIVE you a free car.

Maybe only offered in Canada then. Taken from www.gm.ca

Cadillac Owner Privileges™

The following programs are in effect for the first 4 years or 80,000 km* of ownership.

-Cadillac No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance program pays for all regularly scheduled maintenance (excludes brakes and rotors).

-The Cadillac New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers all parts and labour costs that may be incurred to correct defects in materials or workmanship for 4 years/80,000 km*.

-5 year/160,000 km* Powertrain Component Limited Warranty with no deductible from the original in-service date of the vehicle. See your dealer for details.

-The sheet metal rust-through coverage is 6 year/unlimited km.
8 year/130,000 km* coverage on Specified Major Emission Components

-Cadillac Roadside Service provides assistance throughout Canada and the United States should you require towing, fuel delivery, a jump-start or help with a flat tire or lock-out situation for the duration of the Base Warranty Coverage Period. See your dealer for details.

-Trip Planning can assist you on road trips with computer-generated maps indicating either the most direct route or the most scenic route to any destination you choose in North America.

-Alternate Transportation provides you with shuttle transportation for daily
service and an alternate car (or reimbursement for rental or other transportation expenses) for overnight service, whenever your Cadillac requires scheduled maintenance or repairs covered under the Base Warranty Coverage Period. See your dealer for details.

-While en route and over 250 kilometres from original point of departure, you may qualify for Trip Interruption Protection. General Motors of Canada may reimburse you for reasonable hotel, meal and alternative transportation expenses incurred should your trip be interrupted by a warranty repair covered under the Base Warranty period.

-The OnStar ° system featuring Turn by turn Navigation and one year of the Directions & Connections Plan° is included on every Cadillac. In addition to the Directions & Connections Plan, OnStar offers additional convenience and concierge-type services. See your dealer for more details about OnStar availability for your Cadillac.

Rolex
10-26-08, 07:24 PM
Fierodough:
Nice. :cool2: I stand corrected. Owning a Cadillac in Canada has it's advantages because I've seen nothing like that from GM. Dealers are offering big cash back incentives, free tires, free car washes, lifetime warranties, free oil changes, etc, everywhere you look around my area. They're practically begging people to buy.

Spittin Game
10-26-08, 09:09 PM
Fierodough:
Nice. :cool2: I stand corrected. Owning a Cadillac in Canada has it's advantages because I've seen nothing like that from GM. Dealers are offering big cash back incentives, free tires, free car washes, lifetime warranties, free oil changes, etc, everywhere you look around my area. They're practically begging people to buy.

Is Colorado like the only place that none of the dealers offer anything like that? Thats amazing, out here the best you can get is up to a whole $10K off 08's.

bigksone
10-26-08, 09:38 PM
I'm wondering if there is a difference in price for the Canadian Escalades. Maybe GM is recouping the cost of the "free" scheduled maint.

KCFormula
10-26-08, 10:35 PM
In the past I have used the Tier IV Mobil1 5w40 with 12k or 1 year oil changes. I don't really pay too much attention to the oil life indicator unless I see it dropping fast due to driving conditions.
I recently switched to Pennzoil Platinum due to the changing of Mobil1 from tier IV to tier III. But I plan on continuing my 12k or 1year changes.
If I lived in a climate that saw more drastic changes in weather (freezing in the winter and hot/humid in the summer) I would consider more regular changes.
Lots of variables to consider. If you would like to feel 100% secure with your method you really should consider a used oil analysis, they are pretty cheap.

Rolex
10-27-08, 10:02 AM
Is Colorado like the only place that none of the dealers offer anything like that? Thats amazing, out here the best you can get is up to a whole $10K off 08's.

I didn't mean to imply these are all Cadillac dealers. In fact you won't see the same kind of recruiting from Cadillac dealers in this area.

fierodough
10-27-08, 01:09 PM
I'm wondering if there is a difference in price for the Canadian Escalades. Maybe GM is recouping the cost of the "free" scheduled maint.

I have no doupt that they are. *sigh* :crying:

the blur
10-28-08, 07:19 AM
I go 12000 miles on synthetic, and send it out to blackstone for analysis.
always comes back within spec.

if in doubt, sent it out.

ewill3rd
10-28-08, 07:35 AM
All Cadillacs use Mobil 1 oil for 2008 and beyond AFAIK, including Escalade.
Prior to that Escalade and DTS were excluded but all other cars used Mobil 1 back to about 2004. Before that it is hit and miss and most people probably don't care.

The "life" of synthetic oil has been in dispute for years. I have never gotten a clear answer except that synthetic oils don't "break down" like conventional, or "dino" oils do.
That means they have to potential to last longer depending on usage.

GM's oil life monitor takes into account the type of oil the car was designed to use, it doesn't know if you drain your oil and drop a synth oil in. How long you wait is up to you, refer to the owner's manual for factory recommendations. That is about all I will say on that. Even modern blended dino oils can go farther than they used to be able to. I think we are up to the SJ rating and with the changes over the years todays dino oils are way better than they were just 10 years ago.

I have heard that GM of Canada offers maintenance with Cadillacs, in the US you can get this kind of coverage on XLR also but that is it.
On XLR all maintenance services are at no charge to the owner if they follow the oil life monitor and recommended service schedule.

I am not sure what our official recommendation is on changing oil, I think it is 3,000 for dino and 7,500 for synth?
We have printed lube stickers that we put on. You can go by that or the OLM, or your own schedule.
I don't really think you can change it too often, but you do run into wasted time and money if it is too often.