Blackout
10-23-08, 01:28 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/23/rwd-pontiac-g8-will-be-dead-in-five-years/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-23-08, 02:21 PM
wtf pontiac?!?!?!?

Lord Cadillac
10-23-08, 03:02 PM
The Solstice would have succeeded as a Ferrari-esque Fiero.. I never see a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky. The return of the Fiero, an economical, GOOD-LOOKING and sporty (fun to drive) car would have been a roaring success.

concorso
10-23-08, 03:30 PM
Come on guys...Gm doesn't know what will happen next month

This is a none issue.

Blackout
10-23-08, 03:35 PM
Come on guys...Gm doesn't know what will happen next month

This is a none issue.

Despite the fact that the G8 sedan has seen nothing but positive press from the media, including your humble scribes here at Autoblog, the realities of fuel economy and the global economy appear set to kill off the rear-wheel drive performance sedan in the prime of its short life.The bolded part is what the CAFE regulations are going to do so the car will be gone unless they give it some sorts fuel efficient F/I 6 cylinder or something

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-23-08, 04:33 PM
Screw the environment. Just give me a car that is fast and fun to drive and let my children's children worry about the environment. :)

Blackout
10-23-08, 05:08 PM
Screw the environment. Just give me a car that is fast and fun to drive and let my children's children worry about the environment. :)Move to Australia

AMGoff
10-23-08, 07:37 PM
Hmm... I wonder if this gives further credence to the whole GM-Chrysler thing?

I have this strange feeling that the Pontiac G8/Solstice won't be going away per se, but that Pontiac itself will be going away as all of this feels vaguely familiar to what happened to Oldsmobile. Either way... I give kudos to GM for finally (possibly) cutting an unnecessary brand. I've argued time and time again that there's little reason for Pontiac to exist and it would have even less reason were Dodge thrown into the fold. I still hold to the opinion that Dodge has much more of a performance image than Pontiac does - Scrap Pontiac and keep Dodge's better stuff.

With that said... The G8 is a good car and I don't think it will go away completely - it'll just be moved to another division. Frankly, the reason it hasn't sold well is because it has a Ponitac badge on it... Were they had done the smart thing and slapped a bowtie on it and called it an Impala, it would be selling much, much better. Hell.. I think had they even slapped a tri-shield on it and called it a Roadmaster it would be selling better.

hueterm
10-23-08, 07:41 PM
With that said... The G8 is a good car and I don't think it will go away completely - it'll just be moved to another division. Frankly, the reason it hasn't sold well is because it has a Ponitac badge on it... Were they had done the smart thing and slapped a bowtie on it and called it an Impala, it would be selling much, much better. Hell.. I think had they even slapped a tri-shield on it and called it a Roadmaster it would be selling better.

Do both -- just make them look different inside and out :-)

MauiV
10-23-08, 08:30 PM
Isnt the G8 badged as an Impala SS in the Mid East?

AMGoff
10-23-08, 10:15 PM

More or less - but it's actually called the Chevy Lumina of all things... lol!

hueterm
10-23-08, 10:23 PM
Is our G8 their Lumina......or this:? http://www.chevroletarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1C/1C_home.html?cntryCd=SA

LS1Mike
10-23-08, 11:25 PM
Zeta cars
2006 Holden VE Commodore / 2006 HSV E Series / 2007 Vauxhall VXR8 / 2007 Chevrolet Lumina / 2008 Pontiac G8
2006 Holden WM Statesman/Caprice / 2007 Chevrolet Caprice / 2008 Daewoo L4X / 2007 Buick Park Avenue
2007 Holden Ute
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I believe the big difference between all of them is overall size and the obvious for the Ute and the Camaro

I see three Soltices and two Skys in the parking lot I use everday on base.
That doesn't include the rest of them I see driving around here.
I think they are a bit over priced.

hueterm
10-24-08, 12:03 AM
Huh, so there's a bigger Holden than the G8...there's hope afterall......

"G$"
10-24-08, 08:46 AM
I love the G8. The solstice is nice but for midgets. They should've made it as big as the XLR so it could fit non-midgets.

MauiV
10-24-08, 11:56 AM
My stepmom has a Solstice GPX and it is what it is. I put it in the Miata catagory of cars I would NEVER own. I prefer the Sky look over the Solstice myself, I dont like the Pontiacs grill, but then again I dont like any Pontiac grill since they all look like a 89 Grand Am (the Solstice just looks like a bug of some sort).

fierodough
10-24-08, 02:07 PM
The Solstice would have succeeded as a Ferrari-esque Fiero.. I never see a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky. The return of the Fiero, an economical, GOOD-LOOKING and sporty (fun to drive) car would have been a roaring success.

Amen to that! :cool2:

ShadowLvr400
10-27-08, 06:31 PM
To write off the G8 based on engines is stupid, and I don't think even Lutz is that dumb. Especially when you take into account the DI V6 with 300 horses already seeing action in the CTS and in the upcoming Camaro. I call this article plain old wrong.

Blackout
10-28-08, 10:07 AM
G8 and Solstice to not be canceled now

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/28/pontiac-g8-and-solstice-not-being-canceled/

Caddy Man
10-28-08, 12:08 PM
Yeah, no way the G8 could disappear. I mean the Sky and Solstice sure, but the G8 is not a niche vehicle like the other two. It is Pontiac's full size model.

dwight.j.carter
10-29-08, 12:56 PM
That G8 is sharp I bet it will stay.