: New odd noise/rattler

supernova_inc
10-23-08, 01:25 PM
The last few days it has gotten a lot colder outside compared to a couple weeks ago. Yesterday as I was driving back from work I was in 6th and hit a little traffic. I slowed down into the low 60's upper 50's and then instead of downshifting just slowly pressed the gas. I was not agressive by any means with the throttle. I heard a high pitch rattle that was inline with the exhaust note but it was overpowering the normal noise. It sounded like it was coming from the right rear. I double checked any items I had in the trunk and had nothing in it. It sounded like two pieces of metal vibrating against one another. As soon as I hit 70(speed limit on freeway is 75 here) the sound went away and it sounded normal again. Then when in the city during normal stop and go, anytime I would be in low rpm's, like right after shifting from second to third I hear the same noise until it gets a bit higher in the rpm's.

I don't know if it is just the frequency with the exhaust that is causing two pieces of metal to vibrate against each other to produce the noise. It does not sound like anything from the diff as it is rpm dependant. I was thinking something in the rear seats at the strikers as I recently had the seats folded down. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this type of vibration noise?

sleepys4
10-23-08, 02:29 PM
What kind of exhaust do you have? Sounds like a bad case of drone!

lollygagger8
10-23-08, 02:35 PM
Do you have headers? ?

Why did you have your seats down?

Did the wheel well cover in the trunk get moved? Maybe the screw on spindle was moved and the post was rattling against the tub?

supernova_inc
10-23-08, 02:35 PM
Stock exhaust.

I had the rear seats folded down as I went on a bike ride. Dropped them down and threw my bike in the back. I can recheck the tub insert in the rear floor here after work but it sounded nothing like a plastic rattle or vibration.

CadiBlk
10-23-08, 02:36 PM
Headers should drown that out nicely.

lollygagger8
10-23-08, 02:42 PM
Headers should drown that out nicely.
Agreed:lildevil:

supernova_inc
10-23-08, 07:54 PM
All in good time I am sure. I work at a shop, in 3 years we have only fixed one V. The owner had a Corsa exhaust on it and it sounded amazing even at idle. I am going to get a UUC short shifter first if I do anything besides the CAGS elim which I already did. I looked around in the vehicle at lunch and it turns out when I put the seatbacks upright I sandwhiched the 3rd rear seatbelt behind the passenger side striker to where the metal buckle and the stricker were touching. I repositioned the seatbelt and it has not done the same noise since.

Vee
10-24-08, 11:49 AM
You live in NM?? Check for a rattlesnake. :bouncy:

supernova_inc
10-24-08, 12:35 PM
Hehe all the snakes are burrowed right now. It was below 30 degrees yesterday morning.

On an update I still think I have somewhat of a rattle or vibration still. I did not hear it yesterday coming back from work but I did hear it again this morning. It is not as pronounced but feels like two pieces of metal and has the higher pitch than the exhaust that comes and goes through the sound spectrum as rpm's start low and get higher. Anyways I will keep lookin ;(

Natedog
10-24-08, 01:31 PM
rear end whine? mine is most prevalent at low rpm's as well

supernova_inc
10-24-08, 03:58 PM
It doesnt sound like a whine or drivetrain related. I am by no means an expert but I would assume if it was drivetrain whine that when the speed got higher it would be more prevelant rather than just at a certain rpm through any gear selection.

Natedog
10-24-08, 05:41 PM
Well for whatever its worth, the only time i hear any whine from the rear (sounds like a hummmm or a baby supercharger? coming from the trunk) is when im coasting at low RPMs (i.e. 30-35mph in 4th) and press the throttle rather firmly... as i get higher up in the rpm's, it either goes away, or the engine roar drowns it out... obviously this is when the cutouts are closed.. if they're open, i can't hear a daymn thing except the open headers of an LS2