: Brake pad replace!

Povich
10-23-08, 01:39 AM
About to replace brakes maybe this weekend and need to know what Im gettin into! Have done on all my cars but not the lade yet! Is it the same gm brake caliper I used on all my other caddies or something different for the lade? Also do the pistons squeeze in or turn in like my old deville? And last anyone suggest decent brakes,not a lot of dust but good stopping power? Dont know whether to go ceramic,semi or just reg..? Anyones input and advice greatly appreciated!:banghead: Will run my stock wheels for winter but 22's back on in spring! brakes are low and had to stand on pedal lst week to keep from railing a vw on 95 !:D

ESCALADOR
10-23-08, 09:34 AM
I just did mine recently and it was a piece of cake. I have 22s on my '05 lade and went with the Duaralast Gold Ceramic pads, something like $60 for the rear and $65 for the fronts. The calipers were squeeze in which I used a C-clamp to press em in. These pads do fine with the 22s.

As you probably know, if you don't already have it don't forget the Brake fluid, cleaner and disc brake lube:thumbsup:

Stocks are going on next week for the winter..:(

Povich
10-24-08, 01:26 AM
Thx Escalador! I worded one of my questions wrong what i meant was is it same Gm wrench to get calipers off or different for the lade! Thinking of going with ceramics! Not sure what these trucks come factory with but pretty sure stocks are still on? Dont get hardly any dust now and dont wanna start! Just want the truck to stop a lil better without upgrading brakes until I have the funds to do so! thx for reply! And Im not lookin forward to puttin the stocks back on either but for the best!

The Scientist
10-24-08, 07:06 PM
I just put on slotted/drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads on the front of my 05. It wasn't hard at all once I had the right tools. I needed a T-55 star drive bit for the bolts holding the bracket on. At least I think it was T-55, I bought a whole set and don't remember exactly which one. I hope that helps.
On a side note, now my breaks squeak, but only if a put a certain amount of pressure on them. It is so consistent that I can acually control the squeaking but the amount of pressure at which they squeak is what I normally use to stop. Any more, any less and they are quiet. Any suggestions???

Povich
10-25-08, 01:53 AM
T-55 pretty sure thts what I used to change my brakes on deville! And the squeaking is exactly wht I dont want to have! My truck now is the quietest stoppin Vehicle Ive ever owned! Want to keep it that way! Hope this doesnt happen with my replacements! Wht kinda of rotors did u buy? I know the hawk pads are one of the best IMO!

The Scientist
10-26-08, 01:42 PM
I went with R1 concepts premium rotors. http://www.r1concepts.com/premiumrotors.php
They are really high quality and I haven't heard anything negative about them. I will give these some time and if I they perform well then I plan to put them on the rear too.

the blur
10-28-08, 06:13 AM
if you want quiet pads, go with FACTORY pads.
also the factory pads last 50000 miles.
aftermarket pads last 20000 miles.

those holy rotors are non-sense.

Povich
10-28-08, 01:48 PM
Without taking off(wanna get pads then rip truck apart) how do I know if single or dual piston calipers? Were there both on these trucks? And what pads were factory on this yr. 04 ceramic or semi...?

hcvone
10-29-08, 07:33 AM
They were ceramic pads from the factory

The Scientist
10-29-08, 12:24 PM
My '05 was a dual piston caliper. Sure '04s would be the same. Just look???

Povich
10-29-08, 03:31 PM
thx for help guys! prob gonna do this weekend!