: '66 Calais---suicide doors?

SLOWnSTEADY
10-22-08, 10:15 PM
OK. I have done suicide doors twice and lambo doors once with no issu but the suicide doors where both on S10's which have straight doorr so it was a snap. Anyoe know hoe to go about doing suicides on a door which is NOT straight?

Due to the door "wrapping" around the wheel well, it make sit impossible to run a regular setup with a hinge at teh top and one at the bottom. I was thinking may be just using TWO hinges up top but spaced as far as i can? Does anyone forsee a real problem with that? The car is in really good shape and i am getting tons of crap since i am the 3rd owner and it has only 44K miles on it but it is my car and i want to make it my own (oh, and they hate the 13" spokes too, going to 15"s with some gold and white walls after paint)

I already shaved the doors but i would like to do this also before i paint. I just think being a car with no center "pillar" deal that sucide doors just look "RIGHT"!!

Also, any ideas on the best way to reinforce the hinge mounting area on the car?

EDIT: found these http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/hinges_suicide.php
but at $445 a hinge that is a little too much dough... may be i can find them cheaper...

SLOWnSTEADY
10-22-08, 11:07 PM
Forget most of that post... I haven't seen my caddy in a while and for some reason I had it in my head the the doors had a lot more curve to them... There is plenty of "straight" edged door up top to mount a pair of the hinges i was planning to use... and thank god because 4 hinges are on sale right now for $99 which will do both my rear doors. Sorry for wasting space one here...

I guess the reinforcement question still stands... anyone know a good way to do that so the doors don;t quickly start sagging? I was thinking weld some nice 1/4" steel plate behind the factory sheet metal or something... I assume the doors are on the heavy side!

lacroyalty91brougham
10-23-08, 01:56 AM
if you decide to do this post pictures, i've thought about this many times on a 80-90's brougham caddy.

SLOWnSTEADY
10-23-08, 11:25 AM
I am doing it for sure... Just have to find the time to get it started and everything...

I have a few other projects in progress right now too so....
I will have to have it done before i leave for basic training in January so...