: When filling gas, tank wont let me go over a few gallons before over filling. ????

durrk johnson
10-22-08, 10:46 PM
Thats right...

Now... after the weird mile reversal...

My gas tank is rejecting fuel... I have a broken gas gauge which doesnt let me know how much fuel I have. But i ran out of gas a few weeks back and have only been stop and filling like 10 or 20$ each time. So I know my tank isnt full...
But now when i try to fill up, It goes up to about 8$ and then starts to back up and overfill??? I know someone couldnt have put something in my tank, i have a lock on the cap... What the heck is going on?

ocjmakaveli
10-23-08, 11:41 AM
when it starts to overflow do you wait a little then try adding fuel again?

durrk johnson
10-23-08, 12:32 PM
when it starts to overflow do you wait a little then try adding fuel again?

Yup, Ive been trying to do that but it just overfills and then i get gas everywhere.

It really sucks looking like youre so retarded that you cant even fill up gas right... haha

ocjmakaveli
10-23-08, 01:50 PM
All i can say is that it is really full even tho the gauge doesnt say so.....

durrk johnson
10-23-08, 02:21 PM
Yeah, But i dont think thats possible, like i said, I ran out of gas a few weeks ago, have been keeping track of where I go, how much gas I use, and have only been putting in like 5$ 10$ 20$ every other day....

Butr my gas guage goes up to full when the car starts everyday anyways. Its been broken for a while.

deVille33
10-23-08, 09:59 PM
Sound like your fill tube might have something restricting inlet flow. My pick-up does this. The gauge reads wrong, so I have to wait until the level gets quite low to fill it.

csbuckn
10-23-08, 11:05 PM
I say your full. unless you can put 8 bucks in without stop then another 8 bucks without stop, you might have a problem. But if you put 8 bucks in and stop then a dollar and stop and another dollar and stop, your full. If your trying to calculate your gas mileage, its hard because there are alot of variables.

durrk johnson
10-23-08, 11:34 PM
hmm... how can i fix my gas guage? i think it got broken when some dudes tried siphoning gas from my car a while back.... I bought a locked cap since then but still. my gas guage doesnt work.

Cadillac Giovanni
10-24-08, 05:17 PM
If your gauge is broken, its one of three things, the wiring, the sending unit, or the gauge itself.

There's a way to test the wiring, but I forget. When you say your gauge is broken, how is it broken? Does it read full all the time, or empty all the time? You can go under the back of the car and unplug the pink sending wire behind the bumper, see if that changes what the gauge reads. If it doesn't, you may have a bad sending unit in the tank itself.

I'm a little foggy on the whole process, someone here knew exactly what to do, you may even be able to find the old post if you search for it.

As for your tank filling issue, I had a similar problem with my Brougham, but it seemed only to be with certain pumps. About a year ago I installed a new gas tank, and this one is a total b*tch, I can't even get a couple of ounces in before the pump shuts off. The best thing, I find, is to hold the handle of the pump as high as possible, so the nozzle is angled steeply down into the filler tube. This works for me every time.

ewill3rd
10-25-08, 11:00 AM
Have you peeked under the car to look at the tank?
I have seen people put the wrong gas cap on their car and the purge system can actually suck the tank flat.
It is worse on some years, is this the '80 listed by your avatar?
If the cap doesn't vent properly the EVAP system can crush the tank like a tin can.
This might f-up your fuel level reading too. :(

durrk johnson
10-25-08, 07:51 PM
Have you peeked under the car to look at the tank?
I have seen people put the wrong gas cap on their car and the purge system can actually suck the tank flat.
It is worse on some years, is this the '80 listed by your avatar?
If the cap doesn't vent properly the EVAP system can crush the tank like a tin can.
This might f-up your fuel level reading too. :(

are you serious? i think i have a venting gas cap, the locking kind...

And yes, this is the 80' cdv...

ewill3rd
10-26-08, 10:47 AM
They are all supposed to be vented. They have positive and negative pressure release points.
Sometimes you can get a bad cap that doesn't vent to relieve pressure one way or the other properly and then you have issues.
A quick peek under the rear bumper will confirm or deny this as your cause.