: How important (really) is an oil cooler?

eldorado1
06-19-04, 06:40 PM
I'm curious if I can put in an oil cooler bypass (as seen in the VIN Y I believe) in my VIN 9 northstar with no ill effects? Other than raising the oil temp a couple degrees, is it really going to make a difference?

ShadowLvr400
06-19-04, 07:58 PM
Why would you want to? If yours is leaking, hit a junkyard and get another one for cheap. They wont hardly know what it is. And considering the temps the engine runs at, I'd recommend the oil cooler for preserving the life of the oil. But that may just be me.

eldorado1
06-19-04, 10:11 PM
And considering the temps the engine runs at, I'd recommend the oil cooler for preserving the life of the oil. But that may just be me.
Why do I want to? One less thing to mount up and plumb... So the only "downside" is oil life? I can deal with changing the oil every 3k....

ShadowLvr400
06-20-04, 11:35 AM
Most oils have a heat threshold at which they start to break down. It may be that without the cooler, you'd eat your oil a lot faster than ever 3k. I dont know for sure though, I'm not that familiar with the details of the engines.

Geno Castellano
06-21-04, 12:05 AM
It'll be fine without the oil cooler. The oil cooler has been eliminated on all of the current model Northstars anyway. As more modern oils allow higher operating temperatures the real need for the oil cooler has pretty much disappeared except for extreme situations like "track days" and trailer towing in very hot weather. For normal everyday driving it'll be fine without an oil cooler.

Fiero STS
06-22-04, 02:43 PM
I will trade you a oil filter base without the cooler line ports for yours.

eldorado1
06-22-04, 04:50 PM
I will trade you a oil filter base without the cooler line ports for yours.
I'm going to hold on to it "just in case" I decide I need it later on... I was planning on just running a tube from the inlet to the outlet. Thanks for the offer though,

Geno Castellano
06-23-04, 12:42 AM
I assume you're going to make some sort of bypass tube? There's no OEM bypass tube that I'm aware of. The factory installs an oil filter adapter with no cooler ports on cars with no oil cooler. Not a bypass loop of tubing.

Be aware that the tube fittings for the oil cooler lines are not any sort of standard flare tubing fitting or otherwise. They're a special flanged tube with an o-ring seal - so making a bypass tube loop is not necessarily easy.

You might just put a piece of rubber hose in for a loop. Just remember that the hose will be subjected to very high pressures - especially on a cold start so simply cutting the tube ends and clamping a hose over them will likely cause the hose to blow off at the worst time. It's better to leave the factory crimped lines in place and cut the rubber part of the line and splice back together with a piece of tubing and clamps. Butt the hose ends together on the piece of tube at the splice, clamp both hose ends and then safety wire the clamps together so the hose ends cann't blow apart and separate and blow themselves off the tube.

blunted
01-26-05, 10:23 PM
My 94 Eldorado 4.6 doesn't have the cooling lines and the only part GM claims to have for me is the one with the holes for the oil cooler. I plugged up the holes with brass plugs and when the mechanic went to install it, the hole on the side of the adapter was too large to fit the line. Is this really the right part or are they jerking me around?? The part # is 12555005

Geno Castellano
01-27-05, 12:29 AM
My 94 Eldorado 4.6 doesn't have the cooling lines and the only part GM claims to have for me is the one with the holes for the oil cooler. I plugged up the holes with brass plugs and when the mechanic went to install it, the hole on the side of the adapter was too large to fit the line. Is this really the right part or are they jerking me around?? The part # is 12555005

What do you mean "the hole on the side of the adapter was too large to fit the line." I don't understand. Your car originally had an oil cooler and the oil filter adapter with the oil cooler line ports. If it doesn't have an oil cooler then someone took it off and changed the oil filter adapter. All Northstars had an oil cooler in 94.

Therefore, in all likelyhood, the only adapter listed for your car is the one with the oil cooler line ports. If you plugged them with brass plugs (I have to see that as the threads are not pipe threads - hope they seal) then what "line" is there for the hole to be too big for? If you plugged the oil cooler line attachment ports the adapter should fit up to the engine fine. There are no other "lines" to hook to the oil filter adapter other than oil cooler lines.

If you want to use an adapter without the oil cooler line ports order one for a 1999 Deville / SLS / Eldorado. Those use the same adapter but with no cooler line ports. The oil cooler was eliminated completely on the later model Northstars. Only the cars ordered with the trailer towing package had the oil cooler. the later model adapter (for engines prior to 2000) should fit your engine fine.

eldorado1
01-27-05, 01:17 AM
I don't think you want to plug the oil cooler holes..... I think there is some kind of internal valve that needs to be removed first. What I did was bought the OEM bypass tubing. It is expensive for just a short length of U bent 1/2" tube, but not too bad. I think it was like $20 or so. If you want, I can dig up the part number, but I'm sure they can look it up for you..... I think I had them look up the oil bypass for a 94 eldorado VIN Y. The vin 9 had the oilcooler as a standard option. Hope this helps,

blunted
01-27-05, 03:13 AM
Ah thanks for breaking it down Bbob. Seems like the owner before me might have done some screwing around.. god knows why. :hmm:

Katshot
01-27-05, 08:44 AM
I assume you're going to make some sort of bypass tube? There's no OEM bypass tube that I'm aware of. The factory installs an oil filter adapter with no cooler ports on cars with no oil cooler. Not a bypass loop of tubing.

Be aware that the tube fittings for the oil cooler lines are not any sort of standard flare tubing fitting or otherwise. They're a special flanged tube with an o-ring seal - so making a bypass tube loop is not necessarily easy.

You might just put a piece of rubber hose in for a loop. Just remember that the hose will be subjected to very high pressures - especially on a cold start so simply cutting the tube ends and clamping a hose over them will likely cause the hose to blow off at the worst time. It's better to leave the factory crimped lines in place and cut the rubber part of the line and splice back together with a piece of tubing and clamps. Butt the hose ends together on the piece of tube at the splice, clamp both hose ends and then safety wire the clamps together so the hose ends cann't blow apart and separate and blow themselves off the tube.

Agreed. Just make sure to use a "barbed" fitting.

eldorado1
01-27-05, 12:44 PM
Guys...... there's no need to make your own out of rubber. Cadillac has already gone through the trouble of making a prebent one out of metal. Just thread it on and you're done. I don't trust hoseclamps and rubber when it comes to pressurized engine oil...

blunted
01-27-05, 02:47 PM
If you run across that part # Eldo please let me know.. I was looking at this part number list and I cant find it. Thanks!

eldorado1
01-27-05, 09:31 PM
I'll go look for it.

found it. It's listed as the "oil cooler lines" even though there's no oil cooler at all..... That's probably why they couldn't find it.

Part #3543646. Lists for 29.78, dealer cost $16.97, so if you complain that they couldn't find it, and you had to get help elsewhere, they might let you have it for $20 ;)

Yo! Ant-Knee
02-23-05, 01:32 PM
Personally, I don't think a factory installed oil cooler should be by-passed. It is my understanding that the Northstar engine costs around $10k. Unless you have more technical knowledge/brains than the engineers who designed it I would advise against it.

Geno Castellano
02-23-05, 04:23 PM
Personally, I don't think a factory installed oil cooler should be by-passed. It is my understanding that the Northstar engine costs around $10k. Unless you have more technical knowledge/brains than the engineers who designed it I would advise against it.

Normally, I'd agree with you completely but the oil cooler was required on the earlier model Northstar engines to keep the oil that was commercially available at the time cool enough under heavy duty operation so that it survived. Oil has improved dramatically since 1993. The current SL grades of oil that meet the GF-3/GF-4 specs can easily withstand up to 305 degrees for short periods of time so the oil cooler is really not necessary anymore on a Northstar. That's why it's been totally eliminated on the later model Northstar engines except for trailer towing packages. For normal day-to-day driving without a trailer the oil cooler is just not required on a Northstar so it's fine to remove it if it springs a leak or something.