: Blown rear differentials 7 + 1

CVP33
10-22-08, 07:41 PM
Anybody can blow a rear differential on a CTS-V. I know I've done it 7 times. But how many people can grenade the Mercedes built unit under the SRT-8? Well apparently I can! :histeric: Hence the 7 + 1 title. Started feeling a vibration on the highway, then started to hear a humming from the rear diff'. I thought to myself, this can't be happening again. Then I left a stop light and when the trans shifted into second....BAMM!!!, followed by a thump, thump, thump......and she was dead. I broke the ring gear and then pretty much chewed up anything else inside the pumkin. The housing stayed in tact, so no fluids or parts spit out the back. Kind of anticlimatic in comparison to my V failures. Anywho, much like the V, it's a total rear differential replacement. $1,500 bucks covered by my extended warranty. Two week wait as Chrysler doesn't stockpile these pieces in inventory. Although it took nearly 49,000 miles to kill it, the feeling of being on the side of the road standing next to a broken $50,000 car feels EXACTLY THE SAME. Shitty. Now for the long wait.

heavymetals
10-22-08, 07:45 PM
Just like the pilot, blame the plane for crashing.

You just need to drive something with less power or freewheels. :D

NormV
10-22-08, 07:50 PM
Oh, it's you again. We're going to start calling you Neuman...Seinfeld style. :)

Might I suggest a Vette or a truck? The diff is not Hitler's head. Can't until you busy an 09 V diff. You'll be baned from all domestics aside from Ford. :)

Might want to try some anger management courses.

Norm

CVP33
10-22-08, 08:00 PM
Just like the pilot, blame the plane for crashing.

You just need to drive something with less power or freewheels. :D

You must have missed my announcement.

"CVP Engineering - Stress Failure and Limit Testing, established February 2004."

Nutz
10-22-08, 08:21 PM
Just crawled under a new Challenger SRT 6-SPEED (one of the first ever to hit pavement), and the Getrag diff is MUCH like a stock V:bomb:. Somehow I don't see them lasting nearly 49,000 like your automatic. But that's just me, what do I know...

And, omg 7 diffs!! :eek:

10-22-08, 08:41 PM
hey chris, long time no speak. seems like old times.

CVP33
10-22-08, 09:14 PM
hey chris, long time no speak. seems like old times.

Everything old is new again. :bigroll:

No warranty hassles this time though, so I'm a little easier to live with. :thumbsup:

rand49er
10-22-08, 09:23 PM
This thread is gonna have some legs ... I can see it now.

Oh, and sorry for your ... uh, mishap, Chris. I think I know where the problem is, though. I'd suggest you see a good podiatrist so you can get that right foot checked for lead. :histeric:

DILLIGAF
10-22-08, 09:25 PM
There goes my can't drive a stick theory-----------maybe.

CVP33
10-22-08, 09:46 PM
There goes my can't drive a stick theory-----------maybe.

Is rev-ing the car to 4,000 rpm's in neutral and then slamming it into gear a bad thing?

coolcaddy1
10-22-08, 10:28 PM
man to bad Mopar doesn't put in the dana 60's any more I would be very impressed if you managed to grenade one of those suckers. :devil:

ahahnu
10-22-08, 10:55 PM
$50 steak $2 cook.

You're just back cause your car's gonna be a GM.

thebigjimsho
10-23-08, 01:30 AM
Yeah, so when you gonna get your '09 V, CVPP?

CVP33
10-23-08, 04:43 AM
Yeah, so when you gonna get your '09 V, CVPP?

BJ,

In 2011 when it's fully depreciated. I'm done with new cars. Certified used is the way to go. Let someone else take the $20 to $25K hit and I'll enjoy my 90% new car with the 60% price tag. There's deals a plenty on ebay right now with used SRT8's going for $25K with 6-8K miles on them. Plus two kids in college helps you make better financial decisions. :yup:

Naf
10-23-08, 05:02 AM
Dude, either you really dont know how to drive or you are drivin that car like you stole it...

I feel its the hole shots that kill our diffs the most. In motion everything is already in motion so there isnt any flexin...But from a stand still there is plenty of flexin stretchin and twistin till everything starts to get into motion. Much like a fat man who moves his arm and then the fat follows... Bad analogy i know buts its the only thing i can come up with on such short notice...

lollygagger8
10-23-08, 09:46 AM
Breaking diffs in automatics now? Hmmm.....power braking, or neutral dropping? :lol:

ahahnu
10-23-08, 10:00 AM
In motion everything is already in motion so there isnt any flexin...

What about all the banging taking place when you a: drop gears or b: just simply step on the gas after the car has been coasting? I always try to revmatch when droping grears of any sort to remove the banging that takes place. And I have kars kit that "locks it in place."

CVP33
10-23-08, 11:17 AM
I think that my driving definitely contributed to the failure, as did the Predator Tune. This thing literally slams second gear, to the point where I can lose traction just hitting second gear and lay rubber for 50 to 100 feet depending on the outside temperature. I saw the failure today with the rear diff' removed from the car. The pinion walked up the ring gear and then sheared off about 1/2 the teeth. Surprisingly the spider gears appear to be undamaged. It's still a total replacement as there are no replacement pieces for the rear diff, only a new diff.

YoshiV
10-23-08, 11:33 AM
Much like a fat man who moves his arm and then the fat follows... Bad analogy i know buts its the only thing i can come up with on such short notice...

Nice...I almost sprayed coffee on to my monitor!

The Tony Show
10-23-08, 12:20 PM
Love the new User Title, Chris. :lol:

urbanski
10-23-08, 12:35 PM
:haha:

trukk
10-23-08, 01:24 PM
Dude, either you really dont know how to drive or you are drivin that car like you stole it...

Having driven with Chris, and seen him drive at the track, it's definately the later.

-Chris

heavymetals
10-23-08, 01:27 PM
"I think that my driving definitely contributed to the failure"

GEE YA THINK?

When you drive it like your trying to break it, don't be suprised if it breaks.

CVP33
10-23-08, 05:30 PM
"I think that my driving definitely contributed to the failure"

GEE YA THINK?

When you drive it like your trying to break it, don't be suprised if it breaks.

Only surprised that it took this long. As Trukk (and others) can attest, I don't baby my cars. I do preventative maintenance to a fault, i.e. flush the radiator, trans, rear diff, power steering and brake fluid every 30K. Change the oil, synthetic only, every 5K. But I don't practice preventative driving. To me that's counter to why I bought the car.

Now I don't do neutral drops nor do I let the car coast and then hammer it purposely "shocking" the drive train. But I have been known to hold the brake and roast the rear tires. I have been to VIR and flogged the living hell out of the car (30K miles ago I might add) and I've been to the drag strip 3 times. I do love hitting second gear and having the car jump sideways and leave rubber. I know how I drive and that's why I bought the extended warranty.

The dealership is great. They know about the tune, the aftermarket exhaust, the CAI, the hotchkis sway bars, the strut tower brace and the fact that I'm running 275/40's instead of 255/45 rear tires. As you all know each of these mod's even taken individually would be enough ammo to deny a warranty claim. This dealership is Lindsay-like in their support of their customers and that's why I wasn't worried.

Hey guys, I knew what I was in for when I posted this so no hard feelings on my part. I figured if I was going to post how "reliable" the SRT8's have been for me, I needed to fully disclose what had happened. For the record this is my first mechanical failure in just over 81,000 miles (2 SRT8's). If I babied my cars then my CTS-V's would've never failed, nor would my SRT8 be in the shop today. I just can't do it though. I can't spend $50K and then drive the car at 60% of its capability everyday. I just can't......or won't. :lildevil:

mgscustomtune
10-23-08, 07:12 PM
I must be lucky l drive the **** out of my car. I do have a wheel hoop kit and pinion brace l guess that helps

CVP33
10-23-08, 08:56 PM
I must be lucky l drive the **** out of my car. I do have a wheel hoop kit and pinion brace l guess that helps

Maybe times have changed but both those mods would've be enough to void my warranty. I actually had the Area Service Rep' claim that my 255/45 tires vs. the 245/45 had caused the last failure on my CTS-V. This was of course after they removed my PCM to have GM engineers "inspect" it. God I don't miss those days.

thebigjimsho
10-25-08, 02:51 AM
BJ,

In 2011 when it's fully depreciated. I'm done with new cars. Certified used is the way to go. Let someone else take the $20 to $25K hit and I'll enjoy my 90% new car with the 60% price tag. There's deals a plenty on ebay right now with used SRT8's going for $25K with 6-8K miles on them. Plus two kids in college helps you make better financial decisions. :yup:Agreed. My '04 was a one time deal. Hopefully, I'll be visiting Tony in late 2010 to get my lightly used '10...or maybe early 2011...

CVP33
10-25-08, 12:27 PM
Agreed. My '04 was a one time deal. Hopefully, I'll be visiting Tony in late 2010 to get my lightly used '10...or maybe early 2011...

I'll be back, it's just going to take a little longer than I'd hoped. Same timeline as you lightly used (under 10K miles). Hopefully some octagenarian who didn't realize "they were so fast". :histeric:

CTSV_Rob
10-25-08, 01:07 PM
Funny, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

10-25-08, 06:20 PM
I'm sure that red '09 that Andy was beating the snot out of will be on a used car lot one of these days....."low mileage cream puff" or "executive demo" will be written on the windshield....

Kidding aside, though....does anybody know if that car was the same car that was featured in the recent Motor Trend write up?

atdeneve
10-26-08, 10:56 AM
I think that car was used mostly on the show circuit. And after its stint on the track last week, its fate is probably sealed. I'm sure Cadillac'll make certain that it's destined for the scrap heap.

NormV
10-26-08, 11:10 AM
It did have a VIN but had a Dallas Fire Department sticker so it looks like it might have a few more parade laps in it before being available to the public. :)

Norm

Chef
10-26-08, 12:26 PM
Blown rear differentials 7 + 1

All driver...:suspect:

I had my first diff and never replaced it after several track days on it...just a few seals...

C66 Racing
10-26-08, 12:35 PM
Oh, it's you again. We're going to start calling you Neuman...Seinfeld style. :)

:lol:

I feel for you, but fortunately can't say that I've experienced the same side of the road dread. 16k miles on my 06 V and still on the original diff. Hope you're back on the road soon.

CVP33
10-26-08, 04:56 PM
All driver...:suspect:

I had my first diff and never replaced it after several track days on it...just a few seals...

We posted the repair history from the VIN of my former V. The funny part is the car had 2 more differentials replaced as well as another transmission after it left my possession. I wish I was an anomally with failed rear differentials but unfortunately the only thing remarkable about my experience was the frequency. As related in earlier posts the tech's probably caused at least one of the failures by not putting the friction modifier in the fluid. I tried to explain to them that this was a limited slip differential, but of course the tech's knew best and ignored my protests, claiming that Cadillacs don't come with limited slip differentials. That was until it started humming on the highway and grinding in slow tight turns. :bigroll:

CVP33
10-26-08, 05:05 PM
:lol:

I feel for you, but fortunately can't say that I've experienced the same side of the road dread. 16k miles on my 06 V and still on the original diff. Hope you're back on the road soon.

My first two were rather strange. Broke a left half shaft at just over 8,000 miles. Had the car back one day and broke the right half shaft. When the right went the case cracked as well. After that it went downhill fast with NAV buttons peeling (twice), Radiators leaking (twice), Sunvisor peeling, various bushings wearing out prematurely, transmission shifting issues or complete failure (twice), parking brake quit working, clutch recall, PCM recall, etc. All together it totalled 10 service visits in 9 months and 44 total days out of service.

heavymetals
10-26-08, 05:17 PM
This is getting old Chris.

You got rid of the car and no one needs to stroll down memory lane about your problems.

I don't see the point of bragging that no one builds a differential you can't break.......:stirpot:

CVP33
10-26-08, 06:09 PM
This is getting old Chris.

You got rid of the car and no one needs to stroll down memory lane about your problems.

I don't see the point of bragging that no one builds a differential you can't break.......:stirpot:

You're right. Have one of the mod's take these posts down. I can't do as they've been up too long now. Otherwise I'd kill them myself. I was just trying to bring the newbies up to speed.