: Starting problems...

razl
10-22-08, 05:15 PM
The past couple of days it's been cooler here in FL (which may be just coincidence) but when I've tried to start, it seems like the first rollover has been a bit weak.

Today at lunch, I went to start and she barely turned over - I mean the first rollover was a struggling gasping flop, then a couple more before she kicked, bucked and rumbled to life. Then, she ran really, really rough. Since I had to get back to work, I babied her back.

My voltage when running is between 13.9 and 14.2 and lists as OK. When off it lists at 12.0 as OK so I'm not thinking the battery is the primary culprit...

Any other ideas?

perfect
10-22-08, 05:29 PM
How long did you wait before measuring the 12V at the battery with the car off?

Sometimes, after sitting for a while, a dying battery will drain to parasitic losses. Your alternator could also be bad.

I'm sure others will chime in with more conclusive help.

razl
10-22-08, 05:43 PM
I managed to get home from work, it started a little weak (like previous days) but nothing like at lunch.

Good point, I was just checking the battery right after I turned it off. I'll give it a couple of hours and check it later tonight!

I wouldn't think it would be the alternator with it showing good 14v+ while running, or am I wrong?

heavymetals
10-22-08, 07:47 PM
Good alternator should be about 14.4.

I bet your battery is on it's way out.

HartmanV
10-22-08, 08:43 PM
razl, sorry to get off topic, but are you ever driving on Howell Branch 436 area? Seldom I see another platinum V in this area, would love to meet up with a fellow V owner in O-Town!

razl
10-23-08, 08:00 AM
Update: so, this morning she won't start. Screen shows 12v OK (hmmm, obviously not OK enough to turn it over...grumble). Called roadside, and they're sending a tech out. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

razl
10-23-08, 08:01 AM
Hartman: no prob, I'm only occasionally over on that side of town, but I can certainly make an excuse on a weekend to trek over that way and meet up :)

But, I'm going out of town to TN for the next week. Maybe we cna get together sometime in Nov!

razl
10-23-08, 12:02 PM
Final update: roadside assistance dispatched a tech who came out to my car in the driveway, inspected it, determined it was just the battery, replaced it on the spot and I didn't get charged a single thing (great thing that extended warranty!). I was back on the road in 3 hours and didn't even leave my house - very cool.

Lucky for me, I got my warranty thrown in on my certified Caddy to get me to go with GMAC (instead of my bank, which GMAC already beat by half a point) - so far, it's been awesome!

Thanks for the insight to everyone who posted, and sorry to bore all you other readers with - essentially - a "got my battery replaced for free!" thread :) Hopefully, this might help someone who's on the fence about getting that GMPP.

HartmanV
10-23-08, 08:06 PM
Sounds good, good to hear you got the V back up and runnin', def meet up in Nov though