: Now the sunroof leaks

rob_s
10-22-08, 05:32 PM
2005, water is coming in at the rear and running into the headliner and dripping off the plastic trim piece where the headliner stops and the sunroof begins.

Any idea how bad a hit I'm going to take on this? Don't suppose it's covered by the extended warranty?

Also, the center console trim piece is now cracked, well the surface is, from the water damage. Any idea if I can order a replacement for just that piece while I'm at it? Would rather not have to replace the whole center console.

rvtech
10-24-08, 09:59 AM
First you need to know if there is water standing in the area. There are drain tubes running from the corners of the roof assembly to the roof pillars and down to exit out of the body. Clogged drain tubes can cause water to stand in the assembly and then slowly leak in. I've seen them clogged with leaves and all sorts of tree droppings. A bad seal will also cause leaks both after the water is standing and/or when water contacts the area. Water leaking only under pressure (car wash) is an indicator that only a seal needs replaced. Have the drain tubes checked. Debris can be picked out from the top and then blown out carefully with compressed air. Be certain not to blow the tubes off with too much air pressure and/or volume. I don't know which trim piece you are referring to. I don't think clogged drains in the roof area causing a leak would be covered by an extended warranty. A leaking seal may be. It should be in the fine print of your contract. I would guess cleaning the drains and replacing the seal would cost $200-$300 if there aren't too many obstacles.

rob_s
03-18-09, 02:42 PM
anyone have any pictures of these drains, or links to where I could find more information?

In looking for the usual leaks that start at the roof AC vents, I saw this poking out this morning. This maybe part of the problem?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/IMG_0342.jpg

fasteddyII
03-18-09, 07:42 PM
Rob what is your email address I will send diagrams to you!