: Hot Start issue on 79 Deville

MadPhysicist
10-22-08, 01:20 AM
Hi

This is my first post for the first problem with my first Caddy. I got my 7.0 Liter V8 Deville Hearse from a punk kid who thrashed it. I had to drop a whole new engine in. this new one purrs nice when it starts cold, but just turns over really slowly on startup when its hot. Not even eather can get it going again till it cools down. I read in another post that boiled fuel can cause hot start issues, but I didn't have to mess with the fuel line runs to much, so they are where they should be. The timming checks out ok, but im still playing with the fast idle and throttle stop, although I don't think those make a difference for starting issues. Please note this is a carborated engine, no fuel injection or any computers at all for that matter.

Please help, as I want to get my hearse (the Grim Creaper) up and running around NIU's campus before Halloween!!

cadillac_al
10-22-08, 05:24 PM
It sounds like the timing is too far advanced. Keep the distributer a little loose so you can back it off a little next time it does it. I'll bet it starts. If not then your starter is dragging or something. I'm not a big fan of ether either; a good way to kill your engine so be careful with it.