: Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII)(please be easy on me...)

tweeter81
10-21-08, 11:25 PM
Hey all,

I have been slightly obsessed lately with trying to pick out the best aftermarket hood for my baby (2004 V) and have given some thought to actually having Extreme Composites make a new custom hood to fit the last gen CTS-V (and CTS for that matter). Here is my idea, and please no flaming. If you don't like the idea, or even hate it, don't bother posting because that won't help me accomplish what I want to do here.

I have always loved the last gen Trans Am WS6-style RamAirII hood. You know the one with the dual scoops. Now, stay with me. I thought, that if done correctly, this hood could look fantastic on the V. The hood builder, in this case EC, would have to make the dual scoop opening much more angular and the edges of the cowl also more sharp-edged to match the hard edges of the rest of the car. I know this is hard to visualize, but you won't have to because I have posted a picture below that shows exactly how I would want the hood to look, and it's even on a CTS. The picture is a screenshot from the XBox 360 game, Need For Speed: Most Wanted. This may sound crazy, but with the realistic graphics that these games have, I feel like this screenshot is a pretty accurate portrayal of how one of our cars would look with this custom hood.

Basically, if any of you guys are interested, I might have a good way to get this hood made. I really just need to guage interest first, and then I will divulge the details later.

Please let me know what you all think. I hope the comments are positive and this gets some serious interest.

AlmostAV
10-22-08, 12:30 AM
I mean asking for comments that are only positive doesnt really offer any critiquing or even show there is a real interest. Develope a hood we all like would take accepting both negative and pos views. Just my 2 cents. Im sure some will like the hood alot, its simply not my personal style of hood. Good luck!

SkullV
10-22-08, 12:43 AM
For something that looks like that you might as well just get a fiberglass scoop from Jegs and have a body shop mold it in.

tweeter81
10-22-08, 01:06 AM
AlmostAV,

I somewhat agree with your idea about both positive and negative feedback, but I am not really looking for suggestions on how to revise the design so that a wide variety of people like it. I am actually looking for a very small number of people who really like the idea and would be willing to put down some cash to get this, or something very close to it made.

SkullV,

I actually thought about that before but after doing some looking a couple of years ago I could not find any actual scoops that were angular enough to fit the car. At any rate, I agree that the cowl and scoops need to blend in perfectly to the rest of the hood, but it seems that a complete custom job would be the only way to do this.

Thanks to the both of you for the replies. :duck:

rand49er
10-22-08, 06:10 AM
Tweeter, you are one brave soul. :worship:

Naf
10-22-08, 08:28 AM
Not to poke holes, but if you just want it for looks its SO easy to make, however if you want it to be functional, i wouldnt make it like that..I would copy the Mitsu Evo 7 hood. The concept is simple. Because it is located on the front of the hood, the positive air pressure will give you a ram air effect. The further back you put the vent the more towards negative pressure you will have causing a vaccum...

Talk with Specter, they have fiberglass hoods which you could later modify to your own desire...

Have fun with it

DRKSIDE
10-22-08, 09:02 AM
Ok - I'll jump into the fire with ya! (donning flameproof suit)

I was about to say the same thing about the inlets being too far back. I too like the dual inlet hoods on the WS6 but on this car I think a single inlet would look better and it would need to be near the edge of the hood because of the placement of the throttlebody.

I don't hate the picture you posted but I think you would get more gain out of it in the video game than real life. Maybe something more like the '09 hood, raised in the front, lower in the back (reverse cowl?) but with the inlet(s) at the front of the hood. Like this crappy photoshop:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/cchristopherlarue/09vhood.jpg

Not sure how that would translate to the 04-07 but it would be interesting to see.:hide:

The Tony Show
10-22-08, 09:46 AM
The only problem I see is that the airbox (or filter, if you're running an aftermarket cone) would be nowhere near those openings, thereby making the extra airflow worthless. If you pop the hood on the WS6s, you'll see that there's a rubber gasket underneath the scoops that seals on top of the airbox, funneling the fresh air into the filter.

For this to work right (and it would be a very cool "first of it's kind" mod), I'd try adapting the airbox from a WS6 to fit just behind the radiator on your V. It would need to be raised up a bit to clear the TB and upper radiator hose, but with a cowl hood it should probably fit. Some custom ducting will be required to mate up the to the TB, and you'll need to extend the wiring harness for the MAF so it can be moved over there.

Not a project for the faint of heart, but it could be neat.

tweeter81
10-22-08, 10:25 AM
Not to poke holes, but if you just want it for looks its SO easy to make, however if you want it to be functional, i wouldnt make it like that..I would copy the Mitsu Evo 7 hood. The concept is simple. Because it is located on the front of the hood, the positive air pressure will give you a ram air effect. The further back you put the vent the more towards negative pressure you will have causing a vaccum...

Talk with Specter, they have fiberglass hoods which you could later modify to your own desire...

Have fun with it

Naf,

I like that idea. I would definitely be willing to have the snout extended somewhat toward the front of the hood, but am still very partial to the look of the dual openings. I have a lot to think about as far as making this thing functional to some degree. Whether it be for heat extraction purposes (maybe won't work because of the cowl) or for actual Ram Air purposes. I am excited to hear some more ideas from all the car guys on this forum. Thanks for the input.

Kmajecki
10-22-08, 10:31 AM
Would be cool, but i think the TB is about 5" in front of the opening in that pic. I think someone on here lowered their radiator once (look out speed bumps!) and found a way to put 2 cone filters behind the grill. Maybe mixing the 2 together would help? Or getting a custom radiator that isnt as tall but is thicker so it can carry the same capacity? Then maybe you could have room to fab the WS6 airbox.. Interesting idea, but a lot of money and work for 8-10hp... Unless looks are your main goal, then go for it. But looks without function could be considered a little "Uncle Ben'ish".

Oh and i dont know how much hp this would add. 8-10hp was just a guess!

CTS-Voodoo
10-22-08, 12:42 PM
The second option looks better, but it doesnt bring air anywhere near the airbox. If you measure out the MAF and the TB you shouldnt have enough room for any kind of elbow to let the air in. A better mod might be developing some kind of scoop that forces the air in the stock grille inlet. A front feeding ram air cone... it would have to block off all other openings in the airbox area, but it would do the trick.

tweeter81
10-22-08, 07:39 PM
Would be cool, but i think the TB is about 5" in front of the opening in that pic. I think someone on here lowered their radiator once (look out speed bumps!) and found a way to put 2 cone filters behind the grill. Maybe mixing the 2 together would help? Or getting a custom radiator that isnt as tall but is thicker so it can carry the same capacity? Then maybe you could have room to fab the WS6 airbox.. Interesting idea, but a lot of money and work for 8-10hp... Unless looks are your main goal, then go for it. But looks without function could be considered a little "Uncle Ben'ish".

Oh and i dont know how much hp this would add. 8-10hp was just a guess!

Kmajeki,

Those are some great insights. But I have to be honest here, I really am just trying to do this mostly for looks, especially after hearing some of the comments here and putting some thought into making this hood functional - it just seems like a bear. I believe there are better ways to gain performance than from a modified hood.

I know that the great majority of people on this forum put "form after function" and I have mostly been on that bandwagon since I have been here as well. But this time, I purely want a very custom, very aggressive, hood that will really distinguish my car from others, even at a V meet.

CadzillaTN
10-22-08, 08:46 PM
definitely unique. i like it but with a less pronounced crease down the middle, more like stock. I think it would have to be functional too, otherwise people like me would be disappointed to learn it was just cosmetic..(think mustang...)

Could you even get that fabricated at any reasonable cost?

I remember the old pics of the V-plus or whatever from an old thread. It had a scoop in the middle that was too small but I think one could pull that design off too with a larger version.

CTSV_Rob
10-22-08, 08:58 PM
Would not be a bad idea to just get a little more cooling in the engine compartment anyways. Since I am in the process of adding a S/C I have been worried about the under hood temps and have been looking into a Heat extractor type hood. Problem is I am finding myself hard pressed to make the leap on anything I have seen so far. Cost out weighs the advantage at this point.

If I run into heat soak on the S/C I will be more willing to look at the options but for now I will probably be sticking with the factory hood.

OK, fire suit on...

My 0.02.
I like the hood on the WS6 and the firehawk isn't too bad. I like your idea of keeping the lines sharp but I also think it would look better if you could get the openings a little closer to the front of the car. I would also like to see a cowl like opening toward the back that could be left open to help pull the hot air out of the engine compartment. Problem I see with a design like this is the air pressure going through the hood might put some strange forces on the hood and at 150+ if it's secured properly it may fly off. At that point you may need *shudder* hood pins but I just couldn't bring myself to doing that on a DD, little to redneck.

tweeter81
10-22-08, 09:17 PM
definitely unique. i like it but with a less pronounced crease down the middle, more like stock. I think it would have to be functional too, otherwise people like me would be disappointed to learn it was just cosmetic..(think mustang...)

Could you even get that fabricated at any reasonable cost?

I remember the old pics of the V-plus or whatever from an old thread. It had a scoop in the middle that was too small but I think one could pull that design off too with a larger version.

CadzillaTN,

I like your thoughts on this. Now that I look at it, I agree that it might look better with less of a crease, but IMO would still need to be two fairly distinct cowls because of the dual openings (snout). Although you could blend the two together slightly and not have such a sharp edge on the inside. Again, I am trying to stay somewhat true to the WS6-style design that has always been my favorite hood of all time.

The CTS-V plus - I actually have seen that pic as well and liked that look too, but agree that it needed to be larger and better integrated.

As for the cost (I was waiting to see if I would get any takers on this idea, but oh well). I was verbally quoted a price of $5000.00, which would cover the building and development of 5 hoods. So this means that myself and four (4) other guys would have to put down $1000.00 a piece, plus shipping, to get this baby done. I would probably be willing to put forth a little more and that would drive down the cost for the other four people. If you think about it, that price is less that both of the Specter hoods (no disrespect) and only $100.00 more than the existing Extreme Composites hood w/ vents ($900.00). So not that far out of the realm of possibility for 5 guys, but I for sure can't afford this on my own, that is why I have asked about this.

tweeter81
10-22-08, 09:23 PM
Would not be a bad idea to just get a little more cooling in the engine compartment anyways. Since I am in the process of adding a S/C I have been worried about the under hood temps and have been looking into a Heat extractor type hood. Problem is I am finding myself hard pressed to make the leap on anything I have seen so far. Cost out weighs the advantage at this point.

If I run into heat soak on the S/C I will be more willing to look at the options but for now I will probably be sticking with the factory hood.

OK, fire suit on...

My 0.02.
I like the hood on the WS6 and the firehawk isn't too bad. I like your idea of keeping the lines sharp but I also think it would look better if you could get the openings a little closer to the front of the car. I would also like to see a cowl like opening toward the back that could be left open to help pull the hot air out of the engine compartment. Problem I see with a design like this is the air pressure going through the hood might put some strange forces on the hood and at 150+ if it's secured properly it may fly off. At that point you may need *shudder* hood pins but I just couldn't bring myself to doing that on a DD, little to redneck.

CTSV_Rob,

You are the first guy that I absolutely agree with on this. Moving the snout toward the front of the car is a must. I also really like the idea of keeping the back cowl open for cooling purposes, since it looks like a functional ram air is not in the cards. I too have thought about what would happen to a hood that basically allows the air to pass through at high speeds. I think the incoming rush of fresh air would definitely cool the under hood temps slightly, but would the front end of the car get light due to lack of downforce, and would hood pins really be needed? These are both valid questions.

coolcaddy1
10-22-08, 10:41 PM
just a thought on heat extraction. How bout grafting the mesh grille material into two rectangular box shapes ontop of the hood. think of the cts-vr but instead of louvers it would be mesh. you could have it powdercoated black to lessen the bling factor. Although for me the more chrome the better. anyways just talkin.... er typin out loud

Kmajecki
10-23-08, 12:55 AM
Filling it in with matching grill mesh would be pretty sweet looking! It's definitely not a bad idea, would be really unique... If you find 4 others, i'll be the first to ask for pics!! lol but for $1,000 + Shipping, + prep and paint.... That's a new slave cylinder with remote bleeder, or a new flywheel, nos, etc... Just different preferences of where to allocate funds i guess. I cant get enough of people gawking over my stock looking V at idle with the cam and cutouts. It's just more of a shock factor when it looks stock. But i see where you're heading. If a car with that hood was at the last DFW meet, im sure you'd be getting asked about it all day. Good luck with it!

thebigjimsho
10-23-08, 01:43 AM
There's an Aussie tuner that dropped an LS7 into a Holden, G8 equivalent looking thing. And it had a short ram-air system that looked like the head of a vacuum cleaner bolted onto the throttle body. Looking at the V, maybe a slight adjustment of the radiator would allow us to use the stock grille opening as the intake area with that type of system...

CTS-Voodoo
10-23-08, 01:47 AM
I talked to the boys at Spectre who make the cowl hood and I mentioned cutting out the backside of the hood and welding in some type of air funnel to the underside of the hood and routing it to the air box.. It would work to deliver cold air and the high pressure area at the base of the windshield is there...

I think its a better use without ruining lines. You would have to be good with plastic, fiberglass, tubing, whatever you wanted to do it with but at least you arent spending 5 grand...

atdeneve
10-23-08, 02:40 PM
I would also like to see a cowl like opening toward the back that could be left open to help pull the hot air out of the engine compartment. Problem I see with a design like this is the air pressure going through the hood might put some strange forces on the hood and at 150+ if it's secured properly it may fly off. At that point you may need *shudder* hood pins but I just couldn't bring myself to doing that on a DD, little to redneck.

I too have thought about what would happen to a hood that basically allows the air to pass through at high speeds. I think the incoming rush of fresh air would definitely cool the under hood temps slightly, but would the front end of the car get light due to lack of downforce, and would hood pins really be needed? These are both valid questions.

If you open up the rear of the cowl near the windshield, you end up with air getting forced under the hood in that area (not pulled out). That's why they do not open that area up in the cowl-type / power dome hoods we've seen so far.

And with a ram air style hood, you now have air being stuffed under the hood from both the front and the back end (the flow will not necessarily be in through the front, out the back, as you might anticipate). You have air entering the scoop in the front via the ram air effect and air stuffing itself under the hood in the back in the high pressure zone. This will favor lift on the front end (as opposed to down force), which is not good.

Ideally, you'd want to place extraction vents near the front of the hood. The location of the vents in a low pressure zone will create a vacuum effect and draw out the hot air from the engine bay. Likewise, this will reduce lift and increase down force.

In any case, I would think you'd want to keep the back of the hood area closed off, in order to prevent more air from stuffing itself under the hood, especially since you're looking to go the ram air route. This does not preclude you from incorporating smaller ducts in order to facilitate extraction of, at least, some air from under the hood (perhaps, something small like those in the hood of the E92 M3 or the GT-R). They can be incorporated rather inconspicuously so that the overall defining feature is still the ram air scoop, while still gaining you the function of siphoning out some of the excess air buildup.

I would talk to as many hood fabricators as possible to bounce ideas off of and get some feedback. Some will be more receptive to your ideas and vision for your hood, but their input, both positive and negative, will help you get what you want and what you need out of your custom hood.

CTSV_Rob
10-23-08, 04:42 PM
If you open up the rear of the cowl near the windshield, you end up with air getting forced under the hood in that area (not pulled out). That's why they do not open that area up in the cowl-type / power dome hoods we've seen so far.

I am not an aerodynamic engineer but I don't think it will "force" air into the engine compartment. I believe the opening in the back will "draw" the heat out of the engine compartment. As the air passes over the hood it will create a venturi effect which will draw the air out of the engine compartment.

I agree they have not been opening the back but I believe it is for a different reason. I think they leave it closed so rain and snow don't get in the engine compartment.

rand49er
10-23-08, 05:04 PM

And with a ram air style hood, you now have air being stuffed under the hood from both the front and the back end (the flow will not necessarily be in through the front, out the back, as you might anticipate). You have air entering the scoop in the front via the ram air effect and air stuffing itself under the hood in the back in the high pressure zone. This will favor lift on the front end (as opposed to down force), which is not good.

Ideally, you'd want to place extraction vents near the front of the hood. The location of the vents in a low pressure zone will create a vacuum effect and draw out the hot air from the engine bay. Likewise, this will reduce lift and increase down force.

In any case, I would think you'd want to keep the back of the hood area closed off, in order to prevent more air from stuffing itself under the hood, especially since you're looking to go the ram air route. This does not preclude you from incorporating smaller ducts in order to facilitate extraction of, at least, some air from under the hood (perhaps, something small like those in the hood of the E92 M3 or the GT-R). They can be incorporated rather inconspicuously so that the overall defining feature is still the ram air scoop, while still gaining you the function of siphoning out some of the excess air buildup.

I would talk to as many hood fabricators as possible to bounce ideas off of and get some feedback. Some will be more receptive to your ideas and vision for your hood, but their input, both positive and negative, will help you get what you want and what you need out of your custom hood.Yeah, that area at the base of the windshield is the high-pressure/low-flow zone. That's why there's such a thing as cowl induction. High flow = low pressure, low flow = high pressure ... or so said my old fluid dynamics professor.

Personally, I think the cowl area should be left open in this new design to allow airflow into the engine compartment and just make the scoops in front fake. :duck:

bpitas
10-23-08, 05:35 PM
Yeah, cowl-induction hoods are based on the principle that the air sliding over the hood hits the windshield and stacks up, causing a high pressure area. So you won't get any heat extraction that way unless you do some specific ducting.

BTW - whoever mentioned that "vacuum cleaner looking" intake on a Holden - I had something like that on my C5. I can't remember who made it, but it basically had a wider, smoother pipe over the radiator, and a sealed box and a big round open-element K&N on it, and it picked up air from in front of the radiator. Since the C5 was made to be a "bottom feeder" for all its air, with the chin spoiler behind that air pickup, it actually got pretty good positive pressure in there. Made my car (Z51/MN6) go from 107mph-110mph in the quarter with no other changes. That's pretty significant - I was really surprised when I went to the strip. Not saying you could get that on a V, and almost definitely not from hood scoops...

atdeneve
10-23-08, 06:45 PM
I don't know. I got that information from speaking with the so-called "experts", while I was doing some of the same leg work. But then again,it wouldn't be the first time I've heard gross misinformation from people who say 'they do this for a living', so...

Still, I would speak to as many people as possible to see what would be the best design - functionally, as well as how your desires and goals lie. You can weed out the good information from the bad, as you go. I guess you can weed me out, too. Hehe. Time to spark up!

tweeter81
10-23-08, 09:03 PM
At this point I have only been in talks with Extreme Composites and have been really lucky in getting email responses from Jimmy with EC. He has stated a couple of things.

1) They can do 5 hoods for $5000 ($1000 per person, or most likely less because I would kick in a higher share)

2) 10 hoods for $750 per person (but this is where it starts to get a little too hard to make a hood that this many people all like)

3) The Corvette-style vents that can be installed (for $200 extra) in the current EC Cowl Hood could very easily be installed on this new hood design as well. I have asked for a picture of the Cowl Hood w/ vents installed and painted and have been told that EC should be getting a picture soon.

More options for you guys to think about.:bighead:

tweeter81
10-23-08, 09:15 PM
I just also wanted to give a recap of what has been discussed so far.

1) People really want this to be functional. I like that idea but do not think that will be easily accomplished at this juncture. If this idea goes through, we (as in the Cadillac community) will have a RamAir hood that could be modified to actually function as a ram air hood. But, I think that legwork would be best left up to someone else who has fabrication experience or knows someone who does. I am just a guy who knows what looks good (I think...) and knows how to go about getting something started.

2) A few people actually like the design mostly as is except that we all think that the snout opening needs to be moved much closer to the front of the hood. Maybe cut the distance in half (from the snout openings to the front of the hood) from the screenshot I have provided and that would be a better design. Which means it would probably look better and also potentially be functional someday.

3) I am really just looking for 4 individuals to take the jump with me in order to get this thing made. Of course, if I did get some people willing to go in on this, we would communicate closely to get the hood that would best fit this car, keeping in mind that if this strays too far from what I originally intended then I am no better off than when I started (I would end up pulling the plug and having to save up for years to afford to pay for the hood myself). Sorry, rant off..

Let's keep this discussion rolling.

Could anybody do a photochop on the screenshot I provided and possibly extend the cowl and snout toward the front of the hood, widen out the cowl slightly as it gets farther toward the windshield, and soften the inner edges of the dual cowls? I know I am asking a lot. Thanks in advance.

CTSV_Rob
10-23-08, 11:03 PM
Sorry tweeter but the timimg isn't good and I will need to back out. I sure hope you find 4 people to go into this and make it happen.

AAIIIC
10-24-08, 01:56 AM
Not to poke holes, but if you just want it for looks its SO easy to make, however if you want it to be functional, i wouldnt make it like that..I would copy the Mitsu Evo 7 hood. The concept is simple. Because it is located on the front of the hood, the positive air pressure will give you a ram air effect.
:hmm: The Evo7 hood isn't designed to allow airflow in, it's venting airflow out from under the hood. I think that's pretty much the opposite of what tweeter81 is looking for.

I think it would have to be functional too, otherwise people like me would be disappointed to learn it was just cosmetic..(think mustang...)
OK, I've thought Mustang, and I'm curious what I'm supposed to get from that.

I would also like to see a cowl like opening toward the back that could be left open to help pull the hot air out of the engine compartment.
An open cowl will not encourage venting of heat out of the engine compartment except when the car is at rest or slow speeds. As others have pointed out, the hoods with raised cowls are called "cowl induction" hoods for a reason - the high pressure area at the base of the windshield will push air into the engine compartment. That's why race cars like the Nextel Cup stockers have their carbs sealed to draw air from the cowl, and why your car's HVAC draws from the cowl.

Eggggzactly!

Putting vents towards the rear corners of the hood also works to vent some heat/pressure out from under the hood. A number of cars (both OEM and sedan-based race cars) have used that technique over the years, as you mentioned. Heck, just the other day I noticed a 1st gen Prelude (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/19811stGenPrelude.JPG) in a parking lot that had some vents in that location! :p I actually have a set of louvers off a Z34 Lumina's hood sitting in my garage - same idea. An extraction vent near the front, EVO style, is also very effective for encouraging airflow through the radiator and getting pressure out from under the hood.

I am not an aerodynamic engineer but I don't think it will "force" air into the engine compartment. I believe the opening in the back will "draw" the heat out of the engine compartment. As the air passes over the hood it will create a venturi effect which will draw the air out of the engine compartment.
Not so much.

I don't know. I got that information from speaking with the so-called "experts", while I was doing some of the same leg work. But then again,it wouldn't be the first time I've heard gross misinformation from people who say 'they do this for a living', so...

Still, I would speak to as many people as possible to see what would be the best design - functionally, as well as how your desires and goals lie. You can weed out the good information from the bad, as you go. I guess you can weed me out, too. Hehe. Time to spark up!
No need to weed yourself out, your explanation was entirely correct.

tweeter81, if I were you I'd look at finding a used OEM hood, maybe not in the best of shape so you can get it relatively cheap, and then use that to experiment with a bit. Check www.car-part.com and see if there's anything in your area maybe. Otherwise I just think it's going to be tough to visualize what you want and finalize a design.

CTS-Voodoo
10-24-08, 02:04 AM
As I suggested on the other forum, you might just want to think about custom modding your hood with some fiberglass or welding work. Scoops off whatever vehicle you want and toss em on.

rand49er
10-24-08, 07:11 AM
... tweeter81, if I were you I'd look at finding a used OEM hood, maybe not in the best of shape so you can get it relatively cheap, and then use that to experiment with a bit. ...

As I suggested on the other forum, you might just want to think about custom modding your hood with some fiberglass or welding work. Scoops off whatever vehicle you want and toss em on.

Yeah those.

tweeter81
10-24-08, 09:45 AM
Guys,

I appreciate the suggestions, but my problem is that I have zero body work/bondo experience and very little room or tools to do this type of trial and error myself and I live in Gillette, WY (30,000 people) and don't have access to any good custom shops or have any contacts in that industry. So I have pretty much ruled out do it the cheap way and that is why I contacted EC in the first place.

We'll see, this idea my get shelved for now, but someday I'll have the hood I want...

bpitas
10-24-08, 09:54 AM
Just re: the "Mustang" comment, my early-production 1996 Cobra (Mystic) actually had functional hood scoops, but they just went into the engine compartment. They were too far back from the nose to do any good, but I *did* notice that the engine was always a little dirtier where they exited from the underside of the hood. There was a little bit of ducting molded into the lower half of the hood too (the support structure on the underside of the hood doubled as ducts) and it looked like the engineers were trying to get it towards the front of the engine but gave up halfway there. Very weird.
The rear scoops in front of the rear wheels were functional too on that car, they just exited in the wheel well, and weren't a standard 4" circle or anything so it didn't look like they were intended for installing brake ducts. But at least it seemed like the engineers were trying.
I looked at tons of later-production '96 Cobras, and they all had the ducts sealed off by a plastic plug, so maybe I got some sort of weird pre-production model, even though according to the VIN it was Mystic #1994 off the assembly line.

tweeter81
10-25-08, 09:02 PM
I got some different pictures of this hood today from the video game. I wanted to show how it would look from a few different angles and on a light and a dark colored car. (I had to play the game for a couple of hours to unlock the CTS...)

I have pix of a silver CTS-V and a black CTS-V. Unfortunately the video game doesn't let you modify the design, so I was not able to move the scoops closer toward the front of the hood or widen out the cowl section. You guys will just have to use your imagination on those last two things.

Does anybody like this hood design more now that you can see it from multiple angles. Personally, I like it better now after seeing more views of it.

tweeter81
10-27-08, 02:14 PM
One more bump for interest and then I'll let this thread die if nobody else posts...:duck:

MauiV
10-27-08, 04:39 PM
Personally I think if they were moved up like the WS6 hood they would look better and could probably be made into a true ram air.

A guy I work with that is into pre-72 muscle cars keeps telling me how bad ass a set of chrome hood pins would look on my black V. What Im wondering is if I drop off my Maggied V with locked hoodpins and no engine access with a whining diff, is there any chance I could get hte rear replaced since they cant see into the engine bay? Its good to have dreams.

CadzillaTN
10-29-08, 11:21 PM
just to clarify-- my mustang comment wasnt meant as negative. I have one rusting out in my driveway as we speak..
I was just stating a good example of a non-functional scoop that you see every day is on Mustangs- 99 and newer

yes- on certain models they are functional but I dont want hijack this thread by discussing them all..

jweymar
10-30-08, 12:44 AM
A raised hood with cooling effects for my maggie has been on my list, so I might be interested...

tweeter81
10-30-08, 08:45 PM
A raised hood with cooling effects for my maggie has been on my list, so I might be interested...

That's cool, but that makes only two. We still need 3 more guys (or gals) to be interested before this could even work.

deedubb
10-30-08, 11:37 PM
I'd need to see more and better pics to know for sure. I'm not knocking on the pics already posted and do appreciate the effort. I just would like to see some more :)

I personally want a hood like the new V

UnsafeAtAnySpd
10-31-08, 01:07 AM
Just saw that you're in Gillette. Off topic, but I work in Cheyenne.

tweeter81
10-31-08, 09:42 AM
I'd need to see more and better pics to know for sure. I'm not knocking on the pics already posted and do appreciate the effort. I just would like to see some more :)

I personally want a hood like the new V

deedubb,

I don't blame you for wanting to see more. If it was me I would need to see a real hood too, but unless someone could photoshop one onto a real car, that is the best I can do.

tweeter81
10-31-08, 09:43 AM
Just saw that you're in Gillette. Off topic, but I work in Cheyenne.

Cool, I come down to Cheyenne every year for the Wyoming Engineering Society Convention. If you are ever in Gillette (when the weather is nice...) drop me a PM and we could compare cars.

thebigjimsho
10-31-08, 11:42 AM
Can either of you guys explain what the Surf Wyoming bumper stickers mean??

tweeter81
11-03-08, 07:49 PM
Can either of you guys explain what the Surf Wyoming bumper stickers mean??

bigjim,

I couldn't tell you...obviously it's a joke...Wyoming is a damn desert up here. Anyway, Wyoming sucks, I want to move back to South Dakota as soon as I can.

mgscustomtune
11-03-08, 08:34 PM
Have you a price l maybe able to talk Nik into one as well.

bpitas
11-03-08, 08:46 PM
I'll bet it's a snowboarding reference...
I've been to Jackson Hole and around the bend to Grand Targhee, and there was some pretty sweet skiing/boarding to be had around there...

tweeter81
11-03-08, 09:30 PM
Have you a price l maybe able to talk Nik into one as well.

Cool!

I figured that since this was my idea I would put in:

$1250.00 - which would leave $3750.00 for 4 other people

$3750.00 / 4 = $937.50 each

Which is approximately the same cost as the EC hood with vents that is already on the market. With this hood you get the following:

1) Awesome, aggressive looks - only 5 people in the world would have your hood.
2) At least the option for real Ram Air (with some fabbing underneath the hood).
3) A way to possibly evacuate some of the underhood heat.
4) More room for Maggie or Procharger or some other brand of blower that hasn't been used yet. I will have a blower some day (when my warranty gets closer to running out), but in the meantime I want a very distinguishable looking car.

If you can get yourself and Nik interested, we would only need two more guys and between this forum and ls1tech, we should be able to find some guys and find a good middle ground on how the hood should look. And I realize that we would probably need to talk some ideas over on the phone and decide what modifications we would all agree on to the pictures that I have posted. I really wish we could find a really good photoshopper that could put this hood on a real life picture of a CTS-V to see for sure how it would look. I still think it is going to look badass though, even just from seeing it in the game.

Let me know if this sounds good to you. You have given me some more hope for this badass hood!:lildevil:

tweeter81
11-03-08, 10:12 PM
Here are a couple more ideas of how a dual scoop hood looks on a car in real life. Keep in mind I am still partial to my original idea, but some of these design cues could be incorporated into the final custom hood design.

The two pix are of the new Pontiac G6 concept car (nevermind the car itself, we are attempting to focus on the hood). This hood is probably the closest thing we have in real life pictures to my idea. I would modify this hood the following ways to make it look more like the game screenshots:

1) Add about 1"-1.5" more to the cowl height all the way back to the windshield. The CTS hood does not slope down as much from back to front so it would basically be a taller cowl (2.5"-3" total height) from the nose to the windshield. The hood maker would mold the back into the lower sides and it would look something like this at the back of the hood

space___________
___/ spacespacespa\___ this is hard to show, there would also be a small valley in the middle

2) Narrow up the front snout openings to slightly narrower than we see on the G6 concept. Those openings look to be 10"-12" wide at the front - I would like each of them to be closer to 8" wide at the front.

3) I would also want the dual cowl sections to widen out as they got closer toward the windshield so each cowl would end up being maybe 13"-15" wide at the very back of the hood. The second pic of the grey g6 shows this better.

4) I like the amount of separation between the two cowls (2.5"-3") on this G6. I would definitely want to maintain the two distinct cowls all the way to the windshield, no blending two into one large cowl.

5) Last, I also like the angle that the snout openings are sliced (or cut) at.

Let me hear some feedback from the guys who might be interested.